Site Sponsors

Thread: Fun with MM DNG - Part 7 - Seascape

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun with MM DNG - Part 7 - Seascape

Hi There
    Grandpa was easy - this one is quite a lot more of a challenge

It was taken on a windy day on the Suffolk coast with the Wide Angle Tri-Elmar - it's perhaps not as sharp as it might have been, handheld in the wind.

N.B. Apologies for the dirty sensor - still, it all adds to the fun!

This is my take on it - certainly it was more work than any of the other files

all the best
    Last edited by jonoslack; 24th May 2012 at 02:58.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MM DNG - Part 7 - Seascape

Yes, more fun indeed! I'm sure I'll want to come back to this one later... so expect a couple of edits

Thanks again Jono - nothing beats being able to work directly with the raw files in our own work flow...

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    Grandpa was easy - this one is quite a lot more of a challenge

It was taken on a windy day on the Suffolk coast with the Wide Angle Tri-Elmar - it's perhaps not as sharp as it might have been, handheld in the wind.

N.B. Apologies for the dirty sensor - still, it all adds to the fun!

This is my take on it - certainly it was more work than any of the other files

all the best
    As Jono has alluded to....the seascape image may be the most diverse of the MM DNG's posted so far. Balancing exposure and tonality in the various zones certainly doesn't appear to be a 2 minute click on a preset. Thanks Jono!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My take. I added a little warmth and some grain.
    Thanks, Jono and Leica.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here's an extreme edit ... I was trying to blow things up, I mean not make things bigger, I mean push the file beyond it's limits. I couldn't do it. No posterisation, nothing. In fact one thing I noticed in the sky especially above the trees was this grain appeared as I pushed the file, I mean real lovely gorgeous grain, it was like working with a scan from a 6x7 Mamiya 7 on PanF or something similar. I can't believe what Leica have done. Please Leica if you're listening, send me my Monochrom early!!! Pleaaase!

Another bizzarro thing is that the 100% JPG file is over 12MB!!! Figure that one out!

Post Thanks / Like

Another major, major concern of mine was what regarding the use of filters. i.e. in theory bringing home a colour file allows you to add filtration after the capture and not have any filter factors on the exposure during capture. I have previously tried putting a red filter on a colour image to darken skies and it failed miserably. I was truly worried I couldn't get the dark skies with the monochrom ... well my extreme edit did it with no red filter. Now a brick building in the foreground might mean selective editing, but still, we're on the way!

In testing against an M9 vs M-M file, I suspect we will see the higher ISO of the M-M + filter is going to WAY outperform colour filtration in post. Try adding a high contrast red or even low contrast blue filter and watch the details deteriorate into blotches, of course with M-M it just ain't gonna happen, but it does mean making the decision at the time of capture.

Post Thanks / Like

not interested in technical questions, just my emotional reaction
    greetings

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, tried as I might to come up with a better version, but I still prefer yours
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really just an experiment, since I've not uploaded a file to this forum before. I'm a PS user. The several last versions of LightRoom and Aperture do not run on my computer. The last two versions of Photoshop don't either. Soon it'll be time maybe for updating the hardware. It's a lovely image to experiment with - hard to go wrong... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another rendition, higher contrast with softer clouds... the close up detail of this image is really, really impressive!

p.s. Jono, your sensor needs cleaning - is dust much of a problem?

Cheers

Brian
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Jono for providing all the files. I'm so in love with this camera and it helps me so much to work on your files to somehow justify the investment. Especially the "bike" comparision was pretty helpful.

Here is my take.

Cheers.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono,

I need to stop playing, otherwise I really want the M9M myself

Here is my take ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's no hope for me... I really want one, just can't afford it yet!

Thanks Jono

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    p.s. Jono, your sensor needs cleaning - is dust much of a problem?

Cheers

Brian
    Hi Brian
    New cameras - dust is always a problem, it seems to settle down. In this case I plead my own fault, poor thing had been around China, lots of lens changes, without so much as a puff from a blower brush.

Mea Culpa

or you could construe it as an extra test . . . get rid of the pixie dust that jono added to make the challenge more of a challenge

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The histogram on this image was not as well populated as "grandpa", maybe 70% of the dynamic range is populated. Just normalized the image, scaled to the highest populated value.

For this image: I would have used a Red filter, or deep yellow (Y48)/Orange(O56).

DCS200ir (circa 1993) with R60 filter. Straight off of the sensor, resized with Photoshop.

I wonder if Leica will offer the M9M without an IR filter. It would be the best hand-held Visible+Infrared camera ever made. In addition to the best integral hand-held monochrome "visible only" camera ever made.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post

I wonder if Leica will offer the M9M without an IR filter. It would be the best hand-held Visible+Infrared camera ever made. In addition to the best integral hand-held monochrome "visible only" camera ever made.
    I wonder if it would have been advantageous if Leica constructed the M9M with a weak(er) IR filter, something analogous to the M8. This way, B&W IR imagery would have been more versatile with this camera. Any reason they didn't go this route? I'm assume no one has tested the IR capability of this camera, so I simply assumed the IR filter is akin to the one in the M9? Anyone know or have any info regarding all this?

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Good question Dave, as a current M8 shooter I have been wondering the same thing.

All the comparisons are to a M9, when to my mind the M8 is a more interesting B&W camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Even with a monochrome camera- a weak IR filter akin to the M8 would lower the contrast and sharpness of the visible image. Most non-APO lenses have a focus shift in Infrared some are better than others. I'm also guessing that the IR cut filter will also shape the spectral response of the camera. Most IR absorbing filters or digital cameras also serve as a color-balance filter, ie they are visibly tinted. The IR cut filters on the original digital cameras were clear in visible. Those of the M8 and M9 are "greenish". I'm just happy to see the monochrome camera offered. But if they need someone to test an IR camera, I'll volunteer.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's mine. Went with a bit of a split tone. I must say, the file held together very well even when I tried to push it hard.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed working with this one and find the possibilities almost endless Here is my take....

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Make mine soft and dreamy!

This one is a combination of LR, PS and Luminance HDR. Normally, I try to avoid the haloing operators, but I was impressed with the delicate clouds that were emphasized - particularly in the upper left quadrant of the image. Tone mapping also pulled out every particle of dust on the sensor!

Post Thanks / Like

Finally had a chance to try this one:

Chris

Addendum: One issue with using SFXPro might be storage space. The DNGs are 36MB, but the TIFFs coming out of SFXPro are about 85MB.
    Last edited by chrism; 25th May 2012 at 17:13.