The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW NOCTILUX-M

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Any dealers or anyone got to use a promotional version of this lens yet? If so what do you think?

irakly

a friend of mine sent me a couple of raw files of pictures that he took at photokina. i clearly was not impressed. the old nokti signature is way more pleasing.

M

Matt Cullen

a friend of mine sent me a couple of raw files of pictures that he took at photokina. i clearly was not impressed. the old nokti signature is way more pleasing.
Are you sure it was a full production version? I was at Photoplus only a couple of weeks ago, and while I was able to look at one, the rep didn't even want me putting it on a camera body because he said it was basically a mock-up of the lens and would not be representative of a production version optically, so there would be no point in taking samples.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I can't imagine they would put out a 11k lens and it not have the same signature that everyone loves but with less focusing issues......

Hacker

The new Noctilux has the same signature and floating elements as the 50 Lux ASPH. Just like the 75AA. The two have very different signatures.

fotografz

I can't imagine they would put out a 11k lens and it not have the same signature that everyone loves but with less focusing issues......
I'm not sure how the new one would have less "focusing issues". It's the sliver of DOF that's the issue. If your rengefinder isn't spot on it'll show up with a Nocti immediately. Same issue with the 75/1.4 and 90AA to a slightly lesser degree.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
While its easier to see with shallow depth of field ....the faster lenses are more difficult to get right. When I was fighting this thru with Leica NJ last year , we sent back my 50 summilux and the noctilux 4 times each. They consistently backfocused.

To eliminate the variable of my M8 s which were all calibrated in NJ(while I watched ), they always tested the lenses with both their test equipment and with the STANDARD M8(leica NJ).

The last two times NJ tested the lenses and then sent them back to Solms. They could tell from the collimator(sorry I am sure this is misspelled)....that the lenses would probably back focus. The rangefinder/focus tests confirmed this.

To their credit they fought this through and the Noctilux is perfect ( now I know its really me when I miss..LOL). The summilux was replaced.

I drew the following conclusions:

(1) the fast lenses are much more difficult to calibrate and this goes beyond the inherent shallow DOF.

(2) the specifications for standard performance were based on film and are not tight enough for use on the M8. In spec doesn t mean it will produce acceptable results.

(3)it is much easier to adjust the rangefinder to bring your results into line than the lenses. But the more lenses you use the more likely some will be off after adjustment.

(4) Most users really don t know how well their lenses focus on their M8s. Accurate enough is in the eye of the photographer .

Surely Leica must recognize this (they have the history of repairs) and hopefully the new fast lenses will be easier to get right the first time.

None of this alters the need to have a calibrated rangefinder as a starting point or the fact that at f1.0 its darn hard to get the exact focus point you may want.

fotografz

While its easier to see with shallow depth of field ....the faster lenses are more difficult to get right. When I was fighting this thru with Leica NJ last year , we sent back my 50 summilux and the noctilux 4 times each. They consistently backfocused.

To eliminate the variable of my M8 s which were all calibrated in NJ(while I watched ), they always tested the lenses with both their test equipment and with the STANDARD M8(leica NJ).

The last two times NJ tested the lenses and then sent them back to Solms. They could tell from the collimator(sorry I am sure this is misspelled)....that the lenses would probably back focus. The rangefinder/focus tests confirmed this.

To their credit they fought this through and the Noctilux is perfect ( now I know its really me when I miss..LOL). The summilux was replaced.

I drew the following conclusions:

(1) the fast lenses are much more difficult to calibrate and this goes beyond the inherent shallow DOF.

(2) the specifications for standard performance were based on film and are not tight enough for use on the M8. In spec doesn t mean it will produce acceptable results.

(3)it is much easier to adjust the rangefinder to bring your results into line than the lenses. But the more lenses you use the more likely some will be off after adjustment.

(4) Most users really don t know how well their lenses focus on their M8s. Accurate enough is in the eye of the photographer .

Surely Leica must recognize this (they have the history of repairs) and hopefully the new fast lenses will be easier to get right the first time.

None of this alters the need to have a calibrated rangefinder as a starting point or the fact that at f1.0 its darn hard to get the exact focus point you may want.
Exactly my experiences.

Stuart Richardson

Mine too -- I don't use my 35/1.4 ASPH or 75/1.4 summilux on the M8 anymore because they just cannot focus as reliably on it. They are my favorite lenses for film, but on the M8, the 28/2, 50/1.4 ASPH and 75mm summicron all focus properly at every aperture, which makes them far more useful.

fotografz

I can get my 35 1.4 to work but I had to send it to DAG first to be calibrated with the M8.
After a long spa vacation in Germany my 35/1.4 ASPH also now works on my M8 just fine ... as does the 50/1.4ASPH after 3 trips back to der fatherland.

Stuart Richardson

Does it shift focus though? Mine is pretty much on at f/1.4, but it shifts around a bit at different apertures. The 75/1.4 had the same problem. The 28/2, 50/1.4 and 75/2 don't do this...

charlesphoto

After a long spa vacation in Germany my 35/1.4 ASPH also now works on my M8 just fine ... as does the 50/1.4ASPH after 3 trips back to der fatherland.
Pray tell. I'm about to give up on mine (35 Lux Asph) with the M8 (won't sell as I use it on M7). So Solms can deal with the focus shift?

fotografz

I have no idea what's going on or how it happened. But I do not seem to experience the issue. Not that it was bad to begin with. It was my 50/1.4 that took 3 trips to get right.:banghead:

I wonder if it's because I tend to set the f/stop first and then focus? :confused: I rarely if ever change f stop after focussing.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Mine too -- I don't use my 35/1.4 ASPH or 75/1.4 summilux on the M8 anymore because they just cannot focus as reliably on it. They are my favorite lenses for film, but on the M8, the 28/2, 50/1.4 ASPH and 75mm summicron all focus properly at every aperture, which makes them far more useful.
I sold my 35/1.4 Asp - focus was well within spec but I found it too fussy to use. My 75 'lux focuses properly after a long trip to DAG. My 50 Lux ASP had a very small amount of backfocus - I've sent it to Leica for six-bit coding and a tuneup.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, originally the 35/1.4 and 75/1.4 were perfect (at least I never noticed them not working correctly), but then the M8 went in to fix a problem, and when it came back, neither worked. But the 75/2, 50/1.4 ASPH and 28/2 were completely spot on. Rather than waste more time in service, I just decided to use those and save the other two for film. The 28 and 50 correspond to the 35 and 75 that I like on film anyway, so it works perfectly.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Well there's normal "busy" and then there's "hundreds-of-M8-owners-send-DAG-their-camera-and-entire-lens-collection" busy. :D
Kevin, DAG turned around my .2 camera a 35 LUX, 50 LUX, 28 cron, and a canon .95 in a week and a half. Don at DAG says he try's to turn around M cameras in a week.