The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LEICA X2 OR OMD?

jonoslack

Thanks Jono. I use the LCD most of the time too. I have an M9 coming so for me the X1 be around for a while before I step up :)

If I like this new M, the M8 will have to go because the X1 will compliment the M9 better for me than a second M body. I've really enjoyed my M8 so only time will tell, but full frame is important to me.

Very nice M9M stuff you are doing BTW!
Thank you . . . .
Well, the real advantage of the X2 over the X1 is speed of operation - I can understand that with an M9 on the way the X1 may have to stay for a while!

I hope you enjoy the M9, I'm sure you will.
all the best

Godfrey

Sigma came out with two lenses for both m4/3 and NEX. They are 19mm and 30mm and mirror the lenses for the DP1 and DP2 camera. They both turned out to be very good performers (30mm I think the better of two) and they are both extremely attractively priced at $199. They are especially welcome lenses for NEX owners. So far, no reports of QC problems and I haven't heard of anyone shipping the lens back.
Good to hear it. Nice to have another lens supplier stepping up to the plate too!

G

Godfrey

.. I didn't see much mention of the EVF but as an M and X1 user, playing around with the OM-D, I found the finder distracting in that it takes a few milliseconds to come on. I am not big on EVFs to begin with but with my X1, I enjoy a brightline finder when I want to use it because it is on before my eyes are in place.
The Olympus VF-2 (Leica EVF-2) is a pretty nice piece, pretty much the state of the art EVF. The eye-sensing switch-on with the E-M5 does have its time associated, but I'm sure theres a way to simply have it on so that it doesn't get in the way.

However, I also tend to prefer a clear optical finder most of the time. I see the viewfinders as tools with different nature and capabilities ... I'd need both to get the full spectrum of use from the X2. I'd buy the Oly finder and a Voigtländer 35mm FoV optical finder rather than spend the extra for Leica branded bits. The EVF is identical, the optical works well enough ...

G

atanabe

For me it is a matter of form factor, the X1/2 is pocketable and has great results. The OMD while weatherproof and all, is about the same size as the M so I would opt to take the M more than the OMD. The X1/2 is smaller and can go everywhere with you, in a briefcase on business trips or in a coat pocket everyday. It has proven to be very good and while there are some gripes, the X2 seems to have addressed this.

I was not an early adopter to the X1 and knew all of the faults before I bought and I am still happy with the results I get out of the camera. I have looked at all of the options, XPro-1, Nex7 and the OMD but all they provide is an alternate platform to the M and not a compact solution for me like the X1.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If image quality is the only objective, I would have a look at one of the Fujis as well, the X100 or the X-Pro1. Particularly the latter is very impressive.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The OMD while weatherproof and all, is about the same size as the M so I would opt to take the M more than the OMD.

Are you sure, not my impression.

atanabe

>The OMD while weatherproof and all, is about the same size as the M so I would opt to take the M more than the OMD.

Are you sure, not my impression.
Uwe,
I stand corrected, the M9 body measures 5.47x3.15x1.46 inches while the OMD measures 4.8x3.5x1.69 inches. It is larger length wise, shorter and thinner than the OMD. And yes, being so close in size, I would still use it over the OMD.

The OP did ask about image quality and as I have not shot with the OMD I can not objectively say that it is better or worse than the X2. My only experience with the Olympus products was the EPL1 which I did not care for image quality wise. I have shot with the X1 and find it very good indeed.

-Al

Moonshine

Again, thank you everyone :)
After reading through all the replies in this thread i feel the X2 will more than meet my needs. IQ, size and simplicity in use! It seems like i would like to buy it with the OVF and an OLY EVF to see which would work best as both have their advantages. Lets hope Leica sends them to the US soon...

Paratom

While I own an OVF that can be used on the x1 I use the display all the time.
In contradiction I use the OVF of my x100 quite often.
When I had an Ep1 I nearly never used the EVF VF-2.

What does it tell me?
1) I prefer an OVF over an EVF - however it is important to me to know where I focus. Thus I have some doubts how reliable the OVF works on the x1/x2 in this regard.
2) When using cameras with EVF I often seem to prefer the display. I asked myself why and my explanation is: When I use the display I can still keep direct connection with the subject with my eyes. I dont feel as disconnected as I feel with the EVF (not a problem with a nice OVF)

Why do I say this?
If someone is planning to use an OVF often I would eventually recommend the x100 over the x1/x2 because of the interal viewfinder, with parallax correction and also showing where and if the AF has focused.
Its not that much bigger than the x1 by the way.
If one uses OVF only occasionally, and size is the biggest concern, I would recommend x1/x2.
Just yesterday I did some fun comparison between a Nex7 with 24/1.8, a x100 and the x1 and while the results all were good in 80% of the images I prefered the color output and curve of the x1 images, just the most balanced for my taste with a nice warm but not yellowish look.
On some images it looked like someone had switched the sun on when looking on the x1 images.
My second choice in regards of color etc. was the x100, and third the Nex (which by the way shows clearly the very good DR).
I find both the x100 and the x1 clearly ahead in regard to simple intuitive user interface.
I cant talk about the OMD.

250swb

.. and an OLY EVF to see which would work best as both have their advantages. Lets hope Leica sends them to the US soon...
And then by the time you have bought a half case for it the camera will be as big as an E-M5..........;)

Good luck though, both are fine camera's.

Steve

DwF

The Olympus VF-2 (Leica EVF-2) is a pretty nice piece, pretty much the state of the art EVF. The eye-sensing switch-on with the E-M5 does have its time associated, but I'm sure theres a way to simply have it on so that it doesn't get in the way.

However, I also tend to prefer a clear optical finder most of the time. I see the viewfinders as tools with different nature and capabilities ... I'd need both to get the full spectrum of use from the X2. I'd buy the Oly finder and a Voigtländer 35mm FoV optical finder rather than spend the extra for Leica branded bits. The EVF is identical, the optical works well enough ...

G
Yes the CV finder is what I use as well...which actually was intended for use with my trusty 28 3.5 Not shooting film much (It was dedicated it to my iiia after my M6 sold), the finder was sitting. It works fine for me on the X1 even though it is a bit wide.

Now in the past few months I have been turning off the LCD and using the finder, I might try and pick up the CV 35 finder.

Moonshine

And then by the time you have bought a half case for it the camera will be as big as an E-M5..........;)

Steve
haha i did consider the half case just for protection but no more! Maybe a thumbs up?

Godfrey

Well, I doubt that ... I know you don't like half cases, Steve, but a nicely designed and fitted one doesn't add that much bulk. The overall shape and feel of the X2 will remain completely different from an E-M5.

I am sorely tempted to add an X2 to my kit. I was at the camera shop on Sunday and played with their X1, and had it on the table next to the E-M5. The E-M5 without a grip feels cramped in my hands, too many buttons and controls on a somewhat convoluted surface. The X1, which is smaller, feels more spacious and easier to operate by comparison due to the sparse controls. Fitting an OVF or EVF to it does make it a bit more bulky and can snag in a tight bag but it's still sleeker than the SLR-shaped E-M5.

Like the M9, the X1 feels a little slick in my hands so I'll want a thin half case to improve my grip.

Ah well. I will have to step up my "excess equipment" sales and generate some money for the camera equipment fund.

Moonshine

Well, I doubt that ... I know you don't like half cases, Steve, but a nicely designed and fitted one doesn't add that much bulk. The overall shape and feel of the X2 will remain completely different from an E-M5.

I am sorely tempted to add an X2 to my kit. I was at the camera shop on Sunday and played with their X1, and had it on the table next to the E-M5. The E-M5 without a grip feels cramped in my hands, too many buttons and controls on a somewhat convoluted surface. The X1, which is smaller, feels more spacious and easier to operate by comparison due to the sparse controls. Fitting an OVF or EVF to it does make it a bit more bulky and can snag in a tight bag but it's still sleeker than the SLR-shaped E-M5.

Like the M9, the X1 feels a little slick in my hands so I'll want a thin half case to improve my grip.

Ah well. I will have to step up my "excess equipment" sales and generate some money for the camera equipment fund.
Godfrey,
which case would you recommend in case i decide to get one? The Artisan and Artist one looks nice with a built in grip but i'm not sure if it might be bulky...:)

Godfrey

..which case would you recommend in case i decide to get one? The Artisan and Artist one looks nice with a built in grip but i'm not sure if it might be bulky...
Cases, like bags, are very personal purchases.

Haven't really looked too closely at the cases for the X1/X2 yet, but I have an A&A half-case for the M4-2 which is very trim and have a Leicatime.com (Luigi) case for the M9 which is a hair less trim but very comfortable in the hand. Luigi's cases are superb quality but expensive.

I'm not particularly enamored of the A&A for the M9 as it has no option to protect the back/LCD—that's why I went for the Luigi case. I had him make the back flap completely removable so it doesn't get in my way when I'm in a shooting session and want to use the controls a lot, but I find it doesn't really matter much as I tend to use the camera without looking at the LCD or working the EV compensation most of the time.

The X1/X2 case is similar ... if I go for a Luigi, I'll leave the hinged back flap there and get it without the additional grip. Just the peanut bump is fine for me.

Leica's offering their own half case for the X2, don't know what that'll be like yet. And I see that Photo Village in NY has a Black Label Bag half case for it too, which is a virtual clone of the A&A but often with small nuance enhancements.

I'm sure there's a half dozen others available via Ebay ...

Paratom

The one thing I dont liek abot the x2 is how the "connection port" for the EVF looks like.
I know the x2 is the "better" camera however the design of the x1 looks more straight forward IMO.

Godfrey

The one thing I dont liek abot the x2 is how the "connection port" for the EVF looks like.
I know the x2 is the "better" camera however the design of the x1 looks more straight forward IMO.
The X1's lower accessory shoe is a little trimmer looking. A black X2 minimizes the impact on the camera's lines.

However, we should spend much more time looking through the camera than looking at the camera.

Moonshine

Cases, like bags, are very personal purchases.

Haven't really looked too closely at the cases for the X1/X2 yet, but I have an A&A half-case for the M4-2 which is very trim and have a Leicatime.com (Luigi) case for the M9 which is a hair less trim but very comfortable in the hand. Luigi's cases are superb quality but expensive.

I'm not particularly enamored of the A&A for the M9 as it has no option to protect the back/LCD—that's why I went for the Luigi case. I had him make the back flap completely removable so it doesn't get in my way when I'm in a shooting session and want to use the controls a lot, but I find it doesn't really matter much as I tend to use the camera without looking at the LCD or working the EV compensation most of the time.

The X1/X2 case is similar ... if I go for a Luigi, I'll leave the hinged back flap there and get it without the additional grip. Just the peanut bump is fine for me.

Leica's offering their own half case for the X2, don't know what that'll be like yet. And I see that Photo Village in NY has a Black Label Bag half case for it too, which is a virtual clone of the A&A but often with small nuance enhancements.

I'm sure there's a half dozen others available via Ebay ...
i was looking at the Leica ever ready case as well to carry the camera around in. Do you know if it can go around the neck with a strap attached?

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
i was looking at the Leica ever ready case as well to carry the camera around in. Do you know if it can go around the neck with a strap attached?
The Leica "never" ready case is very nicely made and provide an excellent protection for the camera. But the strap of the case does not work on the X1/X2 body. I hardly use mine other than transporting the camera in suitcase and/or briefcase.