The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with M & R Lenses on anything other then a Leica

scott kirkpatrick

Still months away from having an M(240), but I've been accumulatinmg some R lenses for use with the M and currently testing them on an E-PL5 micro 4/3 body (at effectively twice their eventual focal length). Just got an APO Elmarit-R 180/2.8. It's awesome, sharp and contrasty outside. Here's a nice early evening by the Charles river in Boston:

The follow with the impressive video rig was shooting a sunset in his own way. Let the tape run for 30 minutes, and then speed it up to show in 2-3 min.

scott

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

Shot a year ago of my two boys in Sarasota, with the Epson R1d-s. It is one of the two cameras that I regret selling (the other was the Mamiya 7 II with the 65/4). I loved the sensor and did not mind the crop factor. The only thing I didn't love was that the rangefinder would go out of alignment after repair. I could even live with the 6 mp sensor though 10 would be much better since I like to crop.

EpsonSarasota by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

MikalWGrass

This is a quick story shot over an hour or so last Spring at what is left of the Miami Marine Stadium on the way to Key Biscayne. Shot with the Sony a900 and Leica R 50/1.4. I met this lovely couple while I was skulking around the ruins of the stadium. In my best Spanglish and their Spanish, I understood that they fished there every Sunday. The husband was kind enough to let me photograph how they fished and cleaned the fish. The last photo is of the wife fishing away from her husband so she could catch her own fish.

fish1 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

fish2 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

fish3 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

fish4 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

fish5 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

fish6 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

fish7 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

scott kirkpatrick

When you attach a lovely R lens to anything but an M, and even then, the lens tends to greatly outweigh the camera. This is dramatically true when I hang an APO -180 Elmarit-R on the front of my tiny E-PL5. Does anyone know where to look for a sturdy R to tripod mounting bracket that would attach things properly for really stable, sharp shooting? Eventually there will be the new R to M(240) adapter that does this and does it for any R lens, but only on the M mount. This must be a long-known problem. Is there a solution?

scott

m_driscoll

When you attach a lovely R lens to anything but an M, and even then, the lens tends to greatly outweigh the camera. This is dramatically true when I hang an APO -180 Elmarit-R on the front of my tiny E-PL5. Does anyone know where to look for a sturdy R to tripod mounting bracket that would attach things properly for really stable, sharp shooting? Eventually there will be the new R to M(240) adapter that does this and does it for any R lens, but only on the M mount. This must be a long-known problem. Is there a solution?

scott
Scott: look for a Rayquel adapter at CameraQuest.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

At the camera store with XE-1 (M8 substitute for me), my 75mm Summarit-M f/2.5 (#1), and, my new Leica 135mm f/3.4 APO-Telyt-M ASPH (#'s 2 & 3). Fuji M adapter's great!

#3 photo of me taken by Mark V :eek:

Cheers, Matt

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Leica R macro and tele on E-PL5

Two closeups from our garden, taken with Elmarit-R Macro 80:

and one from a fourth-floor window in Tel Aviv, taken with the APO-Elmarit-R 180/2.8:

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Here are some takes with an utterly bizarre portrait lens -- APO-Elmarit 180, bought to be used full frame, but currently in use on an Olympus E-PL5 where it is effectively a 360mm focal length:

scott