The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just got the X2!

Moonshine

Just got it! I had ordered the silver but pop flash photo accidentally sent me the black one...I think i might just keep the black as it looks great!

Does any one want to share their preferred settings?

Oh and I'm using it with the Oly vf-2...

Thanks!

V

Vivek

Are you confirming that the camera works fine without any mishaps with the Olympus EVF? :)

Moonshine

i like it, because its simple to use and doesn't have too many buttons and a complicated menu system...but but but auto focus is not very fast. it hunts a lot in low light. Images are nice but not tack sharp like in the reviews i've seen. Every now and then you get a super sharp one..one in eight, i would say. Again this may be because I'm not using it with the correct settings (at least thats what i'm hoping!)

Paratom

i like it, because its simple to use and doesn't have too many buttons and a complicated menu system...but but but auto focus is not very fast. it hunts a lot in low light. Images are nice but not tack sharp like in the reviews i've seen. Every now and then you get a super sharp one..one in eight, i would say. Again this may be because I'm not using it with the correct settings (at least thats what i'm hoping!)
with the x1 I often activate spot focus - so you can exactly focus on what you want in focus. maybe that helps

pophoto

Ming Thein's review suggested that the X2 is the choice over the M9 in low light, and also hardly any hunting, maybe Steve Huff mentioned that!

V

Vivek

Ming Thein's review suggested that the X2 is the choice over the M9 in low light, and also hardly any hunting, maybe Steve Huff mentioned that!
Would make sense if they tried AF with the M9 for comparison.

FWIW, I would be interested in a comparison with the NEX-C3, NEX-5N or the NEX-F3, the 16MP Sony sensored cams like the X2.

Paratom

Thanks Paratom!

Please share your settings or anything useful, thanks in advance!
There are not soo many settings ;)
I mostly shot the x1 in A-mode, use spot AF (a little slower but allows to focus on the eyes of a face for example).
I dont know about the x2 but the x1 auto iso was not usable for me because you can not set the max. exp time to something like 1/125. This means auto iso would lead to blurred images as soon as some movement/action is in the image. So no auto iso for me.
Fill flash works great, exp bracketing works great.
The nice thing about the x1 is there are not that many options!
Enjoy the camera. Out of the Nex and the m4/3 cameras and the x100 I like the x1 IQ best. However I now like to be a little more flexible regarding focal length that why I dont shoot the x1 so much any more. But if you like 35mm fov I think it is a great camera.

pophoto

I don't know why so many of these single focal length cameras are released with 35mm equivalent FF lens and not a 50mm. To me this is the better option :(

atanabe

I don't know why so many of these single focal length cameras are released with 35mm equivalent FF lens and not a 50mm. To me this is the better option :(
Pophoto,
If you close one eye and look out at the world it is about the field of view of a 35. Most of the classic RF photos were shot with a 35, the depth of focus is better on a 35 than a 50 and it has just enough of a wide angle to produce some cool perspective shots. I personally love the 35 focal length and feel that it allows a close but not too close (physical) perspective with environmental portraits.

-Al

pophoto

Pophoto,
If you close one eye and look out at the world it is about the field of view of a 35. Most of the classic RF photos were shot with a 35, the depth of focus is better on a 35 than a 50 and it has just enough of a wide angle to produce some cool perspective shots. I personally love the 35 focal length and feel that it allows a close but not too close (physical) perspective with environmental portraits.

-Al
Lets not even go there! :)

Moonshine

i miss having a 50mm :((
maybe after 6 months i'll get a omd em-5 with a lens that will be 50mm...do they have a 50mm in the m43 system?