The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I forgot what the M8 can do.

Stuart Richardson

Until I used it for a shoot today. I have mostly been using the D3 or the Hy6 for the past few months, using the M8 only occasionally. I did a casual shoot today with a 15 year old girl (and her parents), so I did not want to bring a large, intimidating camera like the D3 or the Hy6 and 110/2. I used the M8 with the 50/1.4 ASPH and the 75/2 ASPH. My M8 focuses perfectly with these two (unfortunately, not so with the 35/1.4 and 75/1.4, my two favorite lenses), and I forgot how sharp these lenses are. These are all shot between f/1.4 and f/4, mostly at f/2.8. I tried a number of different processing effects, but not too much in the way of sharpening. Several of them are pretty tight crops.

I think it was too cold to get a real smile out of her! All the smiles were fairly forced.

A

Artorius

Nice pics. As to a smile, if she is like my 15yos, there is no such thing as smiling for a camera. Kind of like that commercial of the mother trying to get a pic of her daughter enjoying herself on the cruise line.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Art. I guess I was more impressed with the technical aspects of the shots than of the shots themselves. I like the third one and the last one, but the rest are take it or leave it. I am not really used to working with people, so it is something I am trying to get some practice with.

Elvis -- no, that is a pretty tight crop of a 50mm shot. The third one and the last one are with the 75mm (odd that I should like those...it does not have to do with the lens I don't think).

Here is a crop from one of the 50mm ones...the color one you thought was the 75. I am showing 100% detail (standard sharpening) and the full frame. I had cropped it as well as rotated it:

That was around f/2.8 I believe. I think it is crazy that you can see individual clouds and buildings reflected in her eyes. Just 10 megapixels, it will be interesting to see what they do with 37!

ElvisKennedy

Stuart: Thanks for sharing that. That 50 Lux is something isn't it? Which lens do you like/use more, the 50 or the 75? I need to settle on a portrait lens to go with my 35 cron (which itself takes nice portraits). I was thinking the 75 for a little more reach but think I would use the 50 more for general purpose.

Stuart Richardson

On the M8, no question, I prefer the 50mm. On a film body, my favorite lenses are 35 and 75, so the 50mm is much closer to that field of view. The 75mm on the M8 is a bit too long for my tastes...also the framelines on the M8 are horrible (at least they are on the M8.1...I have not seen the new ones. So while it is a staggeringly good lens, I think the 50mm is more useful on the M8 -- it is smaller and has an extra stop as well, so I think it is a bit more useful. Someone who likes 90mm's on film will likely have a different opinion.