The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 50mm f0.95

W

weinglas

Cool stuff, Hacker.

I found it delivers more magic than the Noctilux, if it focuses right on.

Best regards,
Claus

V

Vivek

I actually find it quite useable, despite negative comments on the lens:
The negative comments originate from users who do not get used to the idea of using a very fast lens properly.

Here are a couple of shots (on a RD-1s @f/0.95):

Field Mouse

Pigeon

jonoslack

The negative comments originate from users who do not get used to the idea of using a very fast lens properly.

Here are a couple of shots (on a RD-1s @f/0.95):

Field Mouse

Pigeon
HI Vivek
Did you just shoot that pigeon? it doesn't look well (rather like all the pigeons around, we've had a plague, and now they seem to have a plague!).

I do like the field mouse though.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, These are pics are a bit old (I no longer have the RD-1s and no digital M).

This shot was a minute earlier:

The pigeon jumped and 1/500s wasn't enough to freeze the motion. :ROTFL:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Ok...I found and bought one...poor mans Noctilux :)

John, Weinglas, Vivek, Hacker, Any tricks to using it, it sounds like it may be finicky. I have no problems with my 35 and 50 LUX's.

V

Vivek

Mike, Hope you have decent sample that has the accurate RF coupling (important).

Buy a 72 to 58mm step down ring, keep this on the lens all the time. You can use a proper 58mm lenshood on it (without fear of vignetting on the M8).
This is essential, IME.

Also, use +0.3eV to +0.5eV over what the centre weighted meter indicates.

Have fun! :)

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I called Camera West and Michael had one (I had $1000 of store credit there), so if it dosn't couple properly I can send it back. He said it was sent off for the conversion and tested. So the step down ring...will do. Thanks...We'll see how it goes.

W

weinglas

Hi Mike,

congratulations. Be prepared for a lot of fun.

My advice is to shoot your first pictures at different apertures. The lens changes its character quite often when you stop down. E.g. at 5.6 ist is almost as sharp as a summicron. And the Bokeh can sometimes be surprising. I cannot explain why it looks sometimes like a whirl and sometimes not.

Best regards,
Claus

V

Vivek

Check the focus thoroughly. Use a measuring tape (1meter and higher) with the camera on a tripod.

I have a 2 miles long email communications on a conversion and finally I had to help out the friend to get it corrected (cost additional money and a lot of time) elsewhere!

The only person who does the best job (that I know) on this front (but not cosmetics and others) is Kevin Li. Simply superb.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Kevin is great. He fixed a front focusing problem I had with mine after conversion based on Vivek's recommendation.