The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Konica M-Hex 50 1.2 Limited Edition

JeffWarren

I just purchased this great lens for use with my M9-P. With my initial "around the house" test shots I am a bit confused..When I download into light room I am seeing readings of less than F 1.2. TO be specific a few shots are reading F1. I have the lens coded as the 50 Noct 1.2 11820..what am I missing or what did I do wrong?

JeffWarren

Thanks David. & Thank you for the tip on that Titanium 50 Lux a while back. I did end up buying it from your referral. The member was in So Cal and came by the house for a safe pleasant transaction. Couldn't ask for a better scenario

kloud

HI Jeff,

Would you be kind enough to evaluate that lens, and post some pics, so to give samples to enjoy?

Thanks
Stephane

zombii

HI Jeff,

Would you be kind enough to evaluate that lens, and post some pics, so to give samples to enjoy?

Thanks
Stephane
I owned one for some time. Ergonomically, it's the best lens I've laid my hands on. Optically, it's very good but not quite as good as a Noctilux. If you don't want to pay Noctilux prices though, this is probably the next best thing.

kloud

Wondering what the Konica Hexanon 50mm would compare to the Hexanon 60mm, and moreover what the 60mm 1.2 would compare to the Noctilux.
Seem to me it's all in the viewer's eye... what do you think?

JeffWarren

HI Jeff,

Thanks
Stephane
sure stephane..i bought the lens close to one year ago at the time of this posting. i used it for a couple of months as my go to 50. at the time i didn't have a nocti .95 1 or 1.2.. it was really my first exotic lens. to zombil's point once i purchased a nocti the the konica 1.2 spent most of the time on the shelf. that is not to say its not a lovely lens. last night for the first time in a long time i picked it up and shot around the house to show some examples for this post. see below judge for yourself VV. i will add that for the past 6 months i have been looking for a konica hexogon 60 1.2 a very legendary lens that is a like trying to find a needle in a haystack. the 60 1.2 has a true signature (from the sample shots i have seen) that i think konica may have been playing off of when they came out with this 50 1.2. (just my opinion or guess)

L1003110.jpg by [email protected], on Flickr

L1003118.jpg by [email protected], on Flickr

L1003138.jpg by [email protected], on Flickr

L1003182.jpg by [email protected], on Flickr

kloud

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for a fast reply. Wow! The Konica 50mm does render in a very nice way as well. I like the bokeh on that sweet little girl's picture you took.
Apart from the three first shots taken inside, would you say this lens renders rather smoothly on outside (natural light) pictures?

What is the main thing that pushed you to use mostly the Noctilux than the 50mm after a while?

As for the Konica Hexanon 60mm 1.2, it's the one i'm also after, very hard to find as you said, because i believe from the pics i saw here and there that it's signature is one of a kind. I wish there was more info and testing on both the Konica 50mm and 60mm.

Price related, it's the 50mm, then the Noctilux, and THEN the 60mm (so it seems)... so for me, as a photographer, and not a collector addict, it's really about finding the lens that would really suit my way of photography.

Nice collection on your shelves btw. Thanks for sharing.

JeffWarren

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for a fast reply. Wow! The Konica 50mm does render in a very nice way as well. I like the bokeh on that sweet little girl's picture you took.
Apart from the three first shots taken inside, would you say this lens renders rather smoothly on outside (natural light) pictures?

What is the main thing that pushed you to use mostly the Noctilux than the 50mm after a while?

As for the Konica Hexanon 60mm 1.2, it's the one i'm also after, very hard to find as you said, because i believe from the pics i saw here and there that it's signature is one of a kind. I wish there was more info and testing on both the Konica 50mm and 60mm.

Price related, it's the 50mm, then the Noctilux, and THEN the 60mm (so it seems)... so for me, as a photographer, and not a collector addict, it's really about finding the lens that would really suit my way of photography.

Nice collection on your shelves btw. Thanks for sharing.
The main thing that pushed me to use the Noctilux would be the .95 sharpness of subject then its amazing IMO bokeh..and also its 3d separation of subject from bokeh. If that makes sense.

As for the 50 Konica & outside use I didn't use outdoors to much..I like to shoot wide open and didn't have an ND filter for the 1.2 so really cant speak to its rendering out doors.

I am sure your aware but Jason Howe has some input on the 60 1.2 ...& thanks for the compliment on my collection.

Gaining in Confidence – Part Two

SKueh

Wondering what the Konica Hexanon 50mm would compare to the Hexanon 60mm, and moreover what the 60mm 1.2 would compare to the Noctilux.
Seem to me it's all in the viewer's eye... what do you think?
There is a review by Kristian Dowling entitled "Crash of the Titans! The Ultimate Leica M super Fast 50/60 lens battle!" at Steve Huff website. Worth the reading.

JeffWarren

That was a good article and as well as the Fujinon 1.2 would have liked to see the Zunow 1.1 as well. That said Kristian had access to some amazing lenses in one sitting so no complaints here. Amazing how those old lenses hold up if kept correctly. I was cleaning lenses yesterday and handed my wife a THAMBAR built in 1935 and asked her how old she thought it was. She guessed 1970's...crazy.

Stuart Richardson

I used to have the 50/1.2 Limited and found it to be an excellent lens. Somewhere between the 50/1.4 Summilux Pre-Asph and the 50/1.4 ASPH. I wound up selling it as I found that the 50/1.4 ASPH made more sense for me. I don't think the half stop really makes a significant difference, it is more about the look and ergonomics. The 50/1.2 handled well and had a nice look, but it was a bit large and did not look very nice on the camera (I know...a bit petty!), so I wound up preferring the 50/1.4 ASPH. It is sharper wide open, smaller and more fitting to the ergonomics and aesthetics of the M system. That said, if you can get the 50/1.2 for a good price, it will serve you very well. In addition to the 50/1.2, I also had the Hexar, Hexar RF, 35/2 and 90/2.8 Konica lenses -- all were superb and perhaps just a generation behind the latest Leica designs, yet cost a small fraction of the Leica versions...it is very sad indeed that they did not survive as a company! They would have been an excellent compliment to Leica. I particularly liked the fact that they were not conservative like Zeiss...rather than sticking to slower and more traditional camera and lens designs (such as the excellent ZM lenses), they pushed the envelope with the Hexar RF, 60/1.2 and 50/1.2...I wish someone else was still doing this with the same mastery and build quality!

kloud

Looking back at the Konica Hexanon 60mm 1.2, does anyone know what would be the street price now for this unreal and too rare lens?

Thx!

JohnBrew

See Vivek's link to "Clash of the Titans". Street prices are listed for all tested lenses.
This is a terrific thread. Really enjoying it! Thanks to everyone who contributed.