The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica price bubble finally bursting?

StephenPatterson

If an M10 is announced in September (which seems highly likely) it will probably not begin shipping until the end of the year, and even then it might be in extremely limited supply throughout 2013. Luckily for me I have not found myself wanting from my M9. Oh sure, a larger buffer, faster processor and higher ISO would be nice, but we get along just fine. Like an old married couple we have found common ground and share a mutual respect for one another, and at this point it's just too hard to imagine shooting any other way.

I'm not really in the market for any new lenses, but when my dealer called with a 0.95 Noctilux I could not refuse. I still love my 50 Summilux ASPH, but the Nocti has a unique signature that I am enjoying more than I thought I would. This lens was unobtainium for me the past 18 months (I don't pay over list) but it seems that supply is now improving. I did enquire after a 35 Summilux FLE for a friend, but was told that this lens is still very difficult to find.

I'm just happy I have the lenses I need to create the images I imagine.

wattsy

I did enquire after a 35 Summilux FLE for a friend, but was told that this lens is still very difficult to find.
As ever, I'm sure there is regional variation but the 35 FLE seems reasonably easy to get now in the UK. I know of two dealers who have had it in stock for over a month now. Two dealers also have the 90 AA which seemed impossible to find last year. In fact, the only lens that seems to be difficult to find now is the 75 Summicron.

StephenPatterson

Supply is still severely constrained here in mainland China and Hong Kong. While there are more lenses available than last year (yes, even one more than zero is still more) they tend to be Summarits and Elmars. I would not be surprised if, after the M10 is announced, what little stock is here now to be quickly sucked up "behind the wall".

algrove

It could be possible that the US supply of lenses has picked up because the European demand is down due to severe economic difficulties they are currently experiencing. This assumes Asia's demand is fairly constant which Stephen can address better than I, and also assumes that Leica manufacturing volumes have not suddenly increased. It's more of a supply shift to me over a supply increase.

proenca

It could be possible that the US supply of lenses has picked up because the European demand is down due to severe economic difficulties they are currently experiencing. This assumes Asia's demand is fairly constant which Stephen can address better than I, and also assumes that Leica manufacturing volumes have not suddenly increased. It's more of a supply shift to me over a supply increase.
Indeed ; I'm European and I see quite a few things on the shelf's, both new and used that I didnt saw for ages.

21, 28 ASPH & 24mm ASPH Elmarit's, used. Usually dealers had 1 or 2 in stock.

Now each European dealer I deal with, has 3-4-5 of each in stock.

35 FLE ASPH is common to be in stock now.

Europe recession is not helping I guess. Was a good time for me to get hands on a Nocti 0.95 :)