The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss lenses

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
I was just wondering if anyone was using any of the new Zeiss lenses with an M8 and if so what were your thoughts?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I've tried the Zeiss ZM 21 Biogon f2.8, and the Zeiss ZM 18 f4, and really like both lenses. They both offer the classic Zeiss "look" (high microcontrast and sharpness throughout the image).

They don't have the "Leica glow" when shot wide-open, and produce slightly cooler colors than the Leica glass.

For landscape/architecture type shots, they are excellent, with their sharpness and contrast.

Mike

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm not sure - I don't shoot IR. That would be a good question for someone like Jim Collum who shoots a lot of IR with these lenses.

Mike

jonoslack

Hi Joseph
I use the 25mm biogon, which is as crisp and sharp as you could wish for, microcontrast is wonderful, and it's sharp to the corners.

Also the 50mm f1.5 sonnar - which is dreamy and noctilux like up to f2.8, and then as zeiss as you could wish for; a lovely jekyll and hyde of a lens.

They both have red IR marks on them.

I use the 18/4 a lot. Crystal clear sharpness to the corners, has the Zeiss warmth rather than coldness to my eye. Superbly crafted.....Peter

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Joseph - Ditto what Jono says for the 25mm Biogon, I have it and this lens packs a lot of bite.

JimCollum

i've used the 21/2.8, 28/2.8, 18/4 and 50/1.5

all have been excellent lenses. QC seems to be excellent with Zeiss.. focus has never been off (unlike a number of Leica lenses).

the Zeiss seem to handle flare better than the Leica lenses.. i've been able to shoot directly into the sun without issues.

for IR shooting, I got a hotspot with the 21 adn 50.. but not the 28 (one of my most used lenses for IR work)

jim

Hacker

I had both the 25mm f2.8 and 35mm f2 6-bit coded but did not like the feel/handling of the lens (personal preference). The rendering was very nice though. The only ZM lens that I have left is the ZM85 f2.

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Thanks for everyones response. I just got an M8 again and I am getting into IR and since these have IR marks they seem like logical choices.

Tim Gray

I don't have IR markings on my ZM 35/2. I've shot Kodak HIE through a 29A and an R72 filter and had no problems with focus.

MrSlezak

I wrestled between the 21mm & 25mm for a while before I decided that the 21mm Biogon offered a good wedge between the 35mm and 15mm I currently have.

I ordered from PopFlash and to get the modified mount. But after reading Sean Reid's review of the various Zeiss lenses, I'm curious if anyone can suggest a different lens cap I could pick up?