Site Sponsors

Thread: ok to leave m lenses without caps in bag

Post Thanks / Like

ok to leave m lenses without caps in bag

is it ok to leave my lenses in my art & artisan bags without out caps to protect front element?

not sure if rubbing on the red foam or even my fogg bagg fabric will scratch the front element or even rear element.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ok to leave m lenses without caps in bag

I wouldn't let them rub on the interior of the bag, which may be soft enough not to damage them when new, but soft fabric's etc can get dust and grit embedded in them.

I never use lens caps when I'm out shooting, but do use top quality UV or protection filters on my lenses. It makes changing lenses quicker if all you need to do is put on the rear cap and drop it into your bag. It also makes cleaning them easier because you can just give them a rub with a lens cloth instead of dusting them off first.

Steve

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how clean your bag is. Regardless, personally, I would never do this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If they were wearing a lens hood or UV filter or both, I do it. But what is so hard about using a lens cap?
    Last edited by Shashin; 6th July 2012 at 11:46.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

With a hood and/or filter perhaps. Front-end down. Rears wouldn't necessarily need caps then either.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I never put any lens in any bag without the caps front and rear. Then again I'm a belt and suspenders type person when it comes to my gear.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I never put any lens in any bag without the caps front and rear. Then again I'm a belt and suspenders type person when it comes to my gear. Don

Agree! I couldn't imagine putting away a lens in a bag without front and rear caps. It's just too much of a finacial investment and all it takes is a momentary accident and the damage is done.

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would state that I never do this, with the exception being my camera bags that have built in bayonet mounts for storing the lenses. I have one old Leica case and a couple of Nikon cases (FB-5 and FB-8) that have bayonet mounts.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't do it with the Leica lenses however I also use wraps for my Phase One lenses and the lenses for my WRS live inside a Pelican case.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooomz View Post
    is it ok to leave my lenses in my art & artisan bags without out caps to protect front element?

not sure if rubbing on the red foam or even my fogg bagg fabric will scratch the front element or even rear element.

thanks
    I fit all my lenses with non-retractable, metal lens hoods. This protects the front element from scratches if I drop the lens into a nicely fitted pouch or padded pocket in my camera bags, unless the hood is very short (e.g.: wide angle lenses). In that case, I use a hood cap.

When I'm in a shooting situation that requires changing lenses often and quickly, I make sure the lenses each have their own fitted slot in the bag and leave the rear caps off. It facilitates speed when handling and can prevent drops. However, this is not a good idea in general as dirt or scratches on the rear element of a lens is much more likely to degrade an image than a little dirt or a scratch on the front element.

The Fogg and A&A bags have nicely protective liners and padding, but dust and dirt can still become embedded in them so you don't want to rub optical surfaces with them if you can help it.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use lens and rear cap.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Both caps, always, for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When out and regularly changing say between 2 or 3 lenses, I load them in vertical with rear cap on (never off) and with the rear facing up for easy access. But once finished with my shoot, I put on both caps and use neoprene Zing bags-one for each and every lens that is off the camera.

In the past I used Lens Coat lens caps for the front of the lens, but prefer the Zing bags as they give all over protection when transporting/walking around with lenses in a shoulder bag. But I must say the front lens cap on the lens stays off when in a shooting mood.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The Micro Lens Pouches are kind of new to the market - and are particularly cushioned and sized for smaller lenses. I use these when I don't want to use a regular camera bag (e.g. tiny, normal messenger bag or backpack).

Post Thanks / Like

Always put a rear lens cap on. A mark on the rear element is irretrievable. Marking the front element won't affect the image quality. if you don't believe me, there was a thread on the leica users forum some time ago showing shots taken with a 35 cron (with a smashed, yes smashed not scratched front element).

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

There's always this classic article (courtesy of lensrentals.com) concerning front element damage...

Post Thanks / Like

Never without a rear cap, the benefits of speed are more than offset by the possibility of damaging a rear element.