The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

small bag for M9 and .95 only

gooomz

looking for a real small bag for my m9 and .95 only. thats it.

i usually just rock a camera strap and no bag but i think i bag would be easier since i wont have to be so careful when putting my bag down.

any suggestions?

Don Libby

I used to use a Domke F6 wax bag when I had my M9. It'll hold the camera w/lens and more then enough room for a spare battery and maybe a spare lens.

It's sitting in my closet collect dust.

Don

ark8012

I recommend A&A ACAM-1100 or GCAM-1100. They are the same bag but with different materials (leather or fabric). I think it is a perfect bag for one body and one or two lenses.

I am using ACAM-1100 now, and pretty happy with it.

Double Negative

Not Available
I use a regular, nondescript messenger bag. I picked it up in Amsterdam for something like €20 and is made by Mesimu/Mono.

You might also check out some army/navy surplus for cheap, small, stealthy bags and pouches.

IMO, the crappier or less "impressive" looking the bag, the better. If you need padding, you can use various inserts (e.g. from Domke) or something like the Micro Lens Pouch as needed.

algrove

any other bags to recommend the same size of the Domke F-5XA?

thanks again.
Do not know dimensions of Domke, but many like the Think Tank Retrospective in Pinestone
model 5 is smaller than the model 7. I noticed the Leica Akademie Manager used one and it look very stealth for a camera bag.

Double Negative

Not Available
Do not know dimensions of Domke, but many like the Think Tank Retrospective in Pinestone
model 5 is smaller than the model 7. I noticed the Leica Akademie Manager used one and it look very stealth for a camera bag.
The Retrospective 5 (see pix) is a great bag for an RF system, and I'd highly recommend it (or any of their stuff for that matter). But it's more of a body w/lens and 2-3 additional lenses size... Unless you remove all the dividers inside; in which case a body w/Noctilux would fit very comfortably.

rrdiaz30

For a small bag, I use a Think Tank Pro Speedbelt with a Think Tank Speed Changer modular bag. Check out this thread.

I also use a Timbuk 2 Small Messenger bag with a Snoop camera insert. There are some photos here to give you an idea of what can fit in this bag.

Rick

mdwsta4

I was looking for something like this to use with my X-Pro 1. I settled on the Domke F5XA even though it was larger than I wanted. It holds the XP1 or an M9 perfectly with room for one additional lens (two if you stack them).

XP1 w/ 35 attached and 18 in the side

I used this tiny Manfrotto 'bag' for my x100 and loved it. Wish I could find something similar for the M system. Perfect just for ensuring the camera doesn't get scratched while traveling

250swb

Think Tank's Retrospective 5 is the ideal bag. A wide opening flap to get at your camera, so no scuffing against zips and seams, and soft and comfortable to carry all day, and a few pockets for tickets and maps, lens cloths, blowers etc.

I have the 'Pinestone' version of the '5' and everybody comments on what a nice camera bag it is. I also have the new 'Retrospective 7' that takes over from my Billingham Hadley Pro as an ideal rangefinder bag for a camera and a few lenses. Both have a clever articulated padded insert that allows the bag to fit closer to your body.

Steve

Double Negative

Not Available
Agreed, Steve... I just picked up the 7 myself (after having had the 5 for a while). Lovely bags. It all started with the Urban Disguise 20, which I still prefer for extended travel. It holds a ton is is downright tiny. The Retrospective line is essentially the same bag, but in a messenger style.

As for the new pinestone fabric - gorgeous! I haven't seen the new slate blue in person yet, but it reminds me of worn denim.

Godfrey

For M9 + Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.5 and optionally a second lens, all the other junk I need to carry, I use one of:

Domke F5XB
A&A ACAM or GCAM 1100
Billingham L2 "Alice"
Lowepro Teraclime 100

They all work great. I tend to use the GCAM 1100 the most with the M9. I have other bags appropriate for when I want to carry more gear (or less).

Hosermage

I also use the Domke F5XB, sometimes with 1 camera + several lenses, and sometimes both the M9 and OMD. The M9's compartment is still noticeably smaller than the OMD compartment, due to the size of the PL25 hood.

ramosa

the domke F5XB is a great bag. i have had one for a few years. occasionally, i ponder another bag (and have even ordered a couple), but when it comes down to it, the F5XB does everything i need for an M body and lens attached, plus two additional lenses. i haven't used the bag with a nocti, but i suspect it will hold an M body with nocti attached, plus another lens. the F5XA may actually work better for just an M body with nocti attached. it really depends on what look you want. i just want a durable bag that doesn't scream "expensive camera gear," so domkes tend to work well in that regard.

Godfrey

the domke F5XB is a great bag. i have had one for a few years. occasionally, i ponder another bag (and have even ordered a couple), but when it comes down to it, the F5XB does everything i need for an M body and lens attached, plus two additional lenses. i haven't used the bag with a nocti, but i suspect it will hold an M body with nocti attached, plus another lens. the F5XA may actually work better for just an M body with nocti attached. it really depends on what look you want. i just want a durable bag that doesn't scream "expensive camera gear," so domkes tend to work well in that regard.
I've had mine for about 18 years now. It's been through the wringer and is still going strong. I like it more for slightly bulkier shaped cameras (SLRs) ... the Leica and GXR slip into a slimmer bag easily.

Paratom

The Retrospective 5 (see pix) is a great bag for an RF system, and I'd highly recommend it (or any of their stuff for that matter). But it's more of a body w/lens and 2-3 additional lenses size... Unless you remove all the dividers inside; in which case a body w/Noctilux would fit very comfortably.
This has been my prefered bag for the last months as well.
No matter if I carry an M9 with 3 lenses, the xpro 1 with three lenses or a m43.
However if one wants to carry just the M9 and a Noctilux there are smaller bags available. I will post an image later.