The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Silly cosmetics question. (Summicron 28 related)

arild

Hello, good people of GetDPI.

Since I am a sucker for anything more compact than what´s meant to be, I can´t help but wonder if the lens hood for the Summicron 28 asph isn´t just a teeny bit oversized. From pictures, it looks as if the 28 uses the same lens hood mount interface as the previous Summilux 35 asph, which begs the question; can the Summilux 35 asph (v1) lens hood be successfully used on the Cron 28 asph?

It looks lower profile and is definitely a sleeker design. I also like rectangular lens hoods, and am not much interested in the round hoods.

Anyone who has both, able to tell me if this would work or not?

Physical fit is one thing, the other thing is of course vignetting. I know that the 28 vignettes a hell of a lot due to design limitations (rear element-sensor), but would the 35 lux hood draw even more mechanical vignetting on the image?

Thank you for reading, and, of course for replying.

(I don´t have the M-system quite yet, currently saving up, but fwiw, both the new FLE 35 and the cron 28 are interesting to me as a primary walkaround lens).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The hood from the 35 summilux asph (pre FLE) fits perfectly on the 28 and is a common replacement . It does not vignette on my M9 . This greatly reduces the profile of the camera if discreet shooting is what you have in mind.

On an M8 you can use a Contax hood CG1 which is very nice metal screw in 46mm but hard to find in black . ebay is full of small metal hoods but they will vignette on a FF camera . If I was using the 28 on any of the smaller sensor cameras I would use the small metal hood . I think its Metabones that has most every type all very inexpensive.

The decision on the 28 verse the 35 depends on your preference for camera to subject distance and if you plan on shooting anything without looking thru the viewfinder . When I shoot street I will put the camera as low as the ground or hold it as high as I can over my head. In large cities you have to get closer or people will just walk between you and the subject . In less crowded environments ..people may become uncomfortable if you are too close . When I shoot with my 35 I get too many images that clip legs ,arms etc . You can adjust to either . The 28 cron has a very smooth look to the images yet exceptional micro contrast and rendering of fine details . The 35 Lux fle has more crispness ..higher edge contrast . Images have more punch . Both lenses are superb . The 28 cron is my number one lens because it fits my shooting style and desired results. Plenty of others prefer the 35 lux .

arild

Thank you very much, Roger! A bit belatedly, I actually searched for my query mentioned here, and got a bunch of results. Seems it´s quite safe to do.

Coming from the Canon 24/1.4L II on both full frame and 1.3 crop, my plan was initially to go for an X-pro1 and 18mm combo, producing the FOV from a 27 or so lens. Then I actually got to hold one such combo, and it turned out it wasn´t to my liking, so my mind started wandering into Leicaland.

The 24 on the 1.3 crop gave me pretty much a perfect FOV, equivalent to 31 or so full frame. The 28 is pretty close, and the 35 is tighter, so I think maybe I´ll just crop with all the headroom the M9 files will give me (that is, if I don´t wind up with a monochrom, hah). Is there a huge distortion penalty going from the 35 to 28?

One more thing about the clip-on Leica hoods. Do they hold tight? No tendencies to fall off in the bag, etc? The hood on my aforementioned Canon 24 was so loose it drove me nuts at times. Glad to have sold it, to be honest.

Again, thanks for your reply!

Double Negative

Not Available
Oh, it's HUGE.

I picked up a cheap 46mm screw-in hood that's vented, along with a matching 55mm pinch cap. Dirt cheap, small and lightweight.

arild

Heh. Has to be said I´m leaning towards an Elmarit 90 to go with the 28/35. My two most used lenses with my 1DsII have been the 24 mentioned and a 90 macro from Tamron (pre-digital multicoating) both of which I´ve been very happy with. If cron28 and elmarit90, that´s not a cent more than a 35 lux/fle (if buying used and new, one way or the other).

I´ve shot with an M9 and a fast 35 voigtlander, so the RF thing isn´t quite new to me, but it dawns on me that I could get both lenses and an M8.2 body immediately, instead of having to save up or pull out the CC before christmas if an M9 is more preferable (and yes, it is to me).

I wandered a bit towards getting a used MP/M6/M4-P, but my wife actually put her foot down at the thought of me going back to film. She actually supports a Leica DRF kit!

DubNeg: I like rectangulars.. :) Joined your site, by the way. Seems like a good, more informal alternative to the l-camera-forum..

250swb

I find that I can't see the overall shape of the regular 28mm Summicron lens hood if I'm taking photographs, so this must be a fondling question? ;)

Yes the previous 35mm Asph Summilux hood fits very well. But I find it narrows the gap between the mounting/locking ring and the aperture ring, so making it more difficult (for me) to find/feel the aperture ring in a hurry. I've got small fingers, but even so it feels awkward. So most of the time I use the standard hood and ignore what it looks like, only knowing it works. Every now and again I try the 35mm Lux hood to see if I like it's ergonomics any more than I did, but I don't. As for looks, neither is a work of art, but at least the standard hood looks like it will take a knock.

Steve

arild

I find that I can't see the overall shape of the regular 28mm Summicron lens hood if I'm taking photographs, so this must be a fondling question? ;)

Steve
You hit the nail on the head! Of course it´s a fondling question, also a "silly cosmetics question", heh. Point was only that going to an M-system would be a significant departure from what I´m shooting now, and the more discrete lens hood, the better. You´re obviously right in that one should just not care what the lens hood looks like (but it´s frickin huge!), and Double Negative has probably found the most discrete solution of all with his cheap Hstar solution.

:D

Good thing is that since I haven´t gotten so much time with Leica lenses as to grow used to the aperture rings, your argument has a work around for me..

Hope everyone has an enjoyable summer. Thank you so much, everyone, for the help and humourous discussion.

Double Negative

Not Available
While I appreciate being a wisenheimer... It's not just "a fondling question."

If 100% of your time out shooting was spent looking through the viewfinder, that's great. It's also extremely unlikely for even the most hardcore photographers. The rest of the time you have to carry it... And yes, Virginia - often smaller is better. ;)

I have a hood similar if not equal to the one shown by Double Negative but on the M9 it produces substantial vignetting.
I have also tried an other one bought on e-bay i think by the same seller, which is also vented but larger, specific for wides, it does not produce much vignetting but is good only to protect the front lens, whenever you really need lens shading it does not shade enough.

Double Negative

Not Available
Hmm, clearly there's come variation out there on the hoods as far as overall width and depth. There are those that are obviously for wide, normal and tele lenses (usually but not always marked with W/T or wide/tele). On the wider and normal angle hoods though I can see it getting a little confusing.

FWIW, mine is screwed directly into the lens, no filters. My cap is a 55mm pinch that clips into the outermost threads of the hood, not inside as you might see on a ZM lens (which I tested and does work, as it takes 46mm filters just like the lens-side threads). You can cap this hood either way - I chose larger/outside as it's quicker and less fiddly as within (witness, again, the ZMs).

In any event, there's no vignetting in my case. Though I haven't tried adding a filter - either within the hood or between the lens and hood.