The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35 lux or not?

Great thread!

I've been wrestling with this question for awhile now. I purchased the 50 lux-asph this past February and have loved having f/1,4... this lens is really amazing and I have enjoyed using it much more than the 50 cron.

This has lead me to desire the 35 lux. I have a 35 cron asph, and have enjoyed it, but am smitten with shallow dof! I've also been trying to decide between the FLE and previous versions, 6-bit coded or not... too many decisions!

snowboarder

I think the new 35 cron is way way better then the Lux.
It has quite a character combined with high image quality,
the lux is really weird to me. I didn't care for it at all.
I think it's nothing like the 50 Lux which is amazing.

D&A

ARe the focus shift issues put behind on the 35 lux? or was that the previous version?
For all intent and purposes, focus shift has been eliminated in the current 35mm Lux asph (FLE). I've detected an extremely small amount but is relatively inconsequential for most shooting applications. The previous version of course exhibits the well known focus shift, but this can be minimized in terms of real use by having the lens adjusted for accurate focus at f2 as opposed to f1.4.

Of course the way each lens draws is different and it's a matter of personal preference vs. sharpness and/or quality of bokeh. Each has it's legion of fans and detractors and I can certainly identify with both groups...having used both versions quite extensively.

Although not a perfect analogy, it's a little like the preference of the current 50mm Lux asph for some vs it's immediately predisessor, the 50mm Lux pre asph (a favorite of others).

Dave (D&A)

Paratom

I think the new 35 cron is way way better then the Lux.
It has quite a character combined with high image quality,
the lux is really weird to me. I didn't care for it at all.
I think it's nothing like the 50 Lux which is amazing.
The 35 Lux FLE has maybe a slightly "bussy" Bokeh compared to the supersmooth bokeh of the 50/1.4 asph. Other than that I can not see anything where it would lack behind the 50asph.

If Idont need f1.4 I find the 35 Summarit the best option.

GMB

For what it's worth, I decided to stick with the 35 cron ASPH--at least for now ;). It's too much money for one additional stop.

SYGTAFOTO

Unless you really need/want that extra stop, it is hard to justify the upgrade to the lux.
I remember thinking long and hard about it before I went ahead.

SYGTAFOTO

There is no doubt, 35mm lux FLE is a wonderful lens, I have one and I had cron ASPH.
In comparison to the cron ASPH, lux has some advantages like the extra stop and slightly better sharpness (pixel level), but rendering of the two lenses are very similar. If you already have a cron ASPH, it is a tough decision to make when the lux is twice the cost.

michaelstokes

Which would you recommend for an MM? I have one on order I and am trying to decide which of these 35mm to order. Currently I use 50mm Lux ASPH 90% of the time on my M9.

SYGTAFOTO

Personally when I go shooting, I find myself carrying either 35mm or 50mm... not both. I like 35mm/75mm or 28mm/50mm combo.
Anyway, I haven't tried MM so I can't provide recommendations based on real-life experience, but I believe the analogy is still the same as any other M body.

michaelstokes

Thanks Scott. i should have said that I have a 24 & 90mm as well. So I definitely want to get a 35mm as the 24 is too wide for me. I am not sure whether the 35 lux is worth the extra cash given the high ISO's possible on the MM