The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone X2?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just wanted to start that thread and see if there are people out there shooting the X2 and what their experiences are.

I am kind of interested in this camera but not sure how it delivers in real life.

Thanks for inputs

Peter

Godfrey

It's an expensive little bugger and similar in essence to the GXR with one of the A12 AF camera units fitted. But every time i look at an X1 or X2, I end up liking the design more. So I ordered one. Should be here in the next couple of days.

algrove

I think the x2 should outdo the GXR even though I very much like my GXR results with my old pre ASPH 35 on it.
@Godfrey did you also order the EVF?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's an expensive little bugger and similar in essence to the GXR with one of the A12 AF camera units fitted. But every time i look at an X1 or X2, I end up liking the design more. So I ordered one. Should be here in the next couple of days.
Godfrey

same opinion here, I know there are maybe cheaper (maybe also better on paper) cameras out, but I really like the X design. Now with the X2 overcoming lot of the issues of the X1 (AF speed, high ISO noise) this becomes even more interesting!

Please report your real world findings as soon as possible.

Thanks

Peter

pophoto

There's a lot to like! However, for myself 35mm is a limiting factor, and I tend to shoot a lot of my family and son running around, so while no mirror less can do this well, the IQ is excellent and the camera is compact and very elegant. Menu wise, it is no nonsense and easy to adjust, although if you switch from an OMD or NEX system back to the X2 you may forget this for a few seconds! Having said this I may be selling because of my own needs and limited use!

Paratom

Godfrey

same opinion here, I know there are maybe cheaper (maybe also better on paper) cameras out, but I really like the X design. Now with the X2 overcoming lot of the issues of the X1 (AF speed, high ISO noise) this becomes even more interesting!

Thanks

Peter
I only can talk about the x1 which I find to deliver even better color and pop than the Nex cameras I tried and a little better than the Fuji x100 in pure IQ.

It is also quite light and small. I played with the idea to "upgrade" to the x2 but I am not yet sure how much I win and the price is steep.
Tom

Godfrey

I think the x2 should outdo the GXR even though I very much like my GXR results with my old pre ASPH 35 on it.
@Godfrey did you also order the EVF?
I reserve judgement as to what "outdoes" whatever, and what way. They are rather different cameras, in both concept and execution. The GXR performs very well and is a superbly versatile piece of equipment. The X2 is a lot more compact, a lot simpler; I'll know how well it performs relative to the GXR on imaging qualities once I have both in hand. I'll also know how well they work in comparison for my shooting needs too, which is a different thing.

I bought the Olympus EVF and also have a Voigtländer 35mm OVF. I suspect I'll prefer the OVF most of the time, but having the capability of using an EVF of this quality is a darn good plus.

Godfrey

... same opinion here, I know there are maybe cheaper (maybe also better on paper) cameras out, but I really like the X design. Now with the X2 overcoming lot of the issues of the X1 (AF speed, high ISO noise) this becomes even more interesting!

Anything made in this class nowadays does well enough to satisfy me on basic imaging qualities, I'm much more attracted to the particulars of how the camera works nowadays rather than the interminable minutiae of AF speed, ISO sensitivity, etc etc.

Having put a heck of a lot of mileage on the GXR-M, I have to say that with the exception of two things it's more than good enough to do anything I want.

- The shot to shot lag in performance occasionally gets in my way.

- Even with a very small lens on it the GXR-M is just a tad heavier and bulkier than I'd really like for a 'carry it with me all the time' nowadays. (Much of the time now that I'm a staff writer full time, I just want something that's actually pocketable yet can take pro-camera quality images ... like my Rollei 35S could do in 35mm film days.)​

The biggest hope I have for the X2 is that it is smaller and lighter, and simpler!, than the GXR for that sort of use. Hopefully, it's shot-to-shot performance is a step up too but that remains to be seen.

I'm looking forward to working with it. :)

MPK2010

I've had the X2 for a couple of weeks and am happy with it. I had the X1 for about a year. Very similar cameras, the X2 with snappier operation like the reviews say.

As for IQ, also similar, but I prefer X2. I find slightly less of a "3D, walk into the picture" feel with the X2 than X1, but then the X1 never had the 3D feel of an M9 or X-Pro anyway. I find the dynamic range and color more robust on the X2 than X1, and for me this outweighs the slightly flatter look. And it is not as flat as an NEX in any case. Also X2 files seem more robust in PP than X1. Imagine a Pentax K-5 with the lens from the X1 attached. It's very nice.

For me things have stabilized over the last year with M9, X2 (previously X1), compact w/zoom (currently RX100) and mirrorless of the moment (currently X-Pro, which is fantastic for certain kinds of photos, previously NEX-7, 5n, m43 etc.).

Bottom line, splendid camera, sure to be overlooked by those who scour specification lists looking for a wow factor.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I need to try one, so I can really make my mind up. The price is steep, but I am kind of intrigued by this camera ;)

Godfrey

Mine arrived yesterday. Have had no time to take a picture with it yet, but it is freekin' beautiful!

Fitted it with an A&A case, self opening lens cap, Voigtländer OVF, Street Strap, and 32G card. This is gonna be a serious picture taking tool!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Mine arrived yesterday. Have had no time to take a picture with it yet, but it is freekin' beautiful!

Fitted it with an A&A case, self opening lens cap, Voigtländer OVF, Street Strap, and 32G card. This is gonna be a serious picture taking tool!
Must be a wonderful and capable little camera!

Enjoy it !!!

rich_

Hi everybody. I'm new here but have been stalking for the last few days.
I also have an X2 of which I have enjoyed.

I always wanted to use the OVF but found I wasn't very effective with it in low light as my zone focusing takes a lot to be desired.

Overall I think the pictures it produces are fantastic for it's size.

Enjoy your new camera! I fear I may be selling mine now as I just picked up an M8, but if I had the cash i'd keep both for sure.

Chat to you all soon,
Rich