Site Sponsors

Thread: New M8.2 just arrived

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New M8.2 just arrived

Well leica did send me a brand new 8.2 to try out and a new 24mm 3.8 . Okay folks this is deathly quiet. Seriously I can barely hear the shutter go. Nice vulcanite, LCD is nice and the Black leica label logo is a must have. Some added top deck like S mode , 1/4000 shutter and looks like sync speed is 1/180th . Now the frame lines look better but I am going from memory here folks so hard to say . The 24mm framelines looks like before but the 50 and 75 seem smaller which makes sense. Now i shot maybe 25 thousand images on the M8 between my bodies and a couple loaners so it is familiar for sure. Did I happen to mention how quiet it is. Need to find a Sd card somewhere. LOL

Charger a lot nicer too.

i will be giving it a spin in these next weeks to I will update as i go but so far this seems like a bigger improvement than the paper it is written on.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New M8.2 just arrived

Whoa a lot harder to click into timer mode. That is a lot better than before. i did that a lot before.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Get out your check book

I'm curious what you think about that lens.
    Last edited by mwalker; 3rd November 2008 at 13:53.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The M8.2 is a very nice upgrade to the original M8. I was surprised about just how much better it sounded and looked.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

i have been using mine for 2 weeks now, it is a different camera than the original i do not see a difference in image quality, however the handling is so much better. it took me a little practice to get the hang of the new exposure compensation UI but it is a BIG improvement over having to go into the menus. the new framelines are much more accurate.

i saved my M Grip from my previous M8 but once i put it on it became clear, it is all wrong, wrong color and wrong feel. the new vulcanite is great.

Guy, i too am very interested to hear what you think of the 24/3.8! did they send you the new 24mm finder? while the 24/2.8 is fantastic it is larger than i would like and the size of the 24 seems ideal to me.

glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 24mm 3.8 is about the size of a 35mm cron little bigger . It is very small. I will shoot some images of it on the M8 this week and i need to shoot the lens also. No finder though but if I need some lenses and such Jim and Linda are here in town to let me try whatever I need. They are the Leica reps that i had on several workshops and are good friends of Jack and I plus many members here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The 24mm 3.8 is about the size of a 35mm cron little bigger . It is very small. I will shoot some images of it on the M8 this week and i need to shoot the lens also. No finder though but if I need some lenses and such Jim and Linda are here in town to let me try whatever I need. They are the Leica reps that i had on several workshops and are good friends of Jack and I plus many members here.
    Guy, you do not need a finder for the 24. M8 finder at 100% is for this focal length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know was wondering why they even bothered to make a 24mm finder myself. I only had one for the Wate, 18 Zeiss or 21mm lenses. The 12mm i had one but never used it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know was wondering why they even bothered to make a 24mm finder myself.
    The external finder is for use on the film cameras, from the m1-m7.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new Leica 21mm and 24mm finders are awesome, well built, and very small. They have frame lines for both full frame and M8 (dashed/solid). However, I am not sure how much of an advantage they offer on an M8 since one can use 24mm frame lines or the entire viewfinder frame for the 24mm/21mm lenses.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

Shouldn't the 50 and 75mm framelines look bigger on the M8.2 since on the M8 the image taken is larger than the framelines (at distance)?

Jan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Guy
    Congratulations. I wonder how long it'll be before it's yours!

My upgraded M8 is out for delivery today - in the end I cracked and did the whole business (shutter, framelines, LCD and vulcanite). The covering needed replacing anyway, and the LCD was scratched by the Leica leather strap!

I'm really interested in that lens - but I wonder whether it's that much better (or smaller) than the Zeiss 25 f2.8 - I'll be interested in your impressions.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JWW View Post
    Guy,

Shouldn't the 50 and 75mm framelines look bigger on the M8.2 since on the M8 the image taken is larger than the framelines (at distance)?

Jan
    The problem is my memory which most folks know I can't remember much. Product of the 70's . LOL

It just seems tighter for some reason. Certainly can be wrong here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono I may not send it back. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: who needs an external finder for the 24 on M8's?

Me, for one. With my glasses on, I have trouble seeing the whole frame quickly, especially since the 24/2.8 blocks about a quarter of the view. And the awesome new 24/1.4 superlens will be even bigger than that. So I picked up a Voightlaender 21/D finder (for the Epson, with 1.5x magnification factor) and can see everything. But if the bright day 24/3.8 is not much bigger than the 35/2.0 the built-in framelines should be quite usable.

scott

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The frame lines are all larger now than they were to cover the view at 2 meters. The 50 & 75 were the worst offenders on the M8. They do a very nice job now of being realistic. You can go back to the old rule of thumb and be very close. Use the inside of the frame lines for close shots and the outside of the frame line for infinity.

Best,

Ray

gtmerideth

Guy,

I know it's part of life. That being the memory loss. But your hearing too.
    Bad luck.

Older than you,
    gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    The new Leica 21mm and 24mm finders are awesome, well built, and very small. They have frame lines for both full frame and M8 (dashed/solid).
    The Voightlaender finders are about 3 cm high and 3.5 cm wide. They are bright but have noticeable barrel distortion. How do the Leica finders compareon size?

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    Guy, you do not need a finder for the 24. M8 finder at 100% is for this focal length.
    Irakly, correct, of course, but with my glasses I find it hard to peer around and into the M8's viewfinder for framing when using the 24. I also tend to leave the Leica Magnifier on the camera all the time. I guess us in the 55+ set have "special needs"

Glenn

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glennedens View Post
    Irakly, correct, of course, but with my glasses I find it hard to peer around and into the M8's viewfinder for framing when using the 24. I also tend to leave the Leica Magnifier on the camera all the time. I guess us in the 55+ set have "special needs"

Glenn
    HI Glenn
    I'm one of the 55+ special needs set too (only just OF COURSE)
    I've taken to wearing contact lenses for shooting, it's a huge success - I wear a 1.75 for my shooting eye, and a 2.5 for my looking at the lcd eye

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I've taken to wearing contact lenses for shooting, it's a huge success - I wear a 1.75 for my shooting eye, and a 2.5 for my looking at the lcd eye
    Ahah!!! I need a 1.75 adjustment too, which I solved by combing a +1 diopter with the built-in adjustment on the D300/D700. But I have to wear my reading glasses (which I've attached to a cord that goes around my neck) to look at the LCD. If you have a 1.75 for your shooting eye, and a 2.5 for your looking at the lcd eye, how does your distance vision work? Or is it that the 1.75 shooting eye is fine for distances too?

Looking forward to learning more (since the "glasses on a piece of string around my neck" approach makes me all too aware that I'm one of the 55+ special needs set!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez folks they sent this too early for me, I said middle of November and Leica just sent it( better not complain to loud. LOL). I am in the middle of 2 big projects and have yet to step outside in days. Sorry for the delay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    ... I have to wear my reading glasses.... to look at the LCD..... the "glasses on a piece of string around my neck" approach makes me all too aware that I'm one of the 55+ special needs set!
    Jonathon - I got fed up with the reading-glasses on/off routine and now use an old [film] focusing loupe which I have on a cord around my wrist; it's a good solution. Hoodman make a loupe specifically designed for the purpose.

.............. Chris

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    The new Leica 21mm and 24mm finders are awesome, well built, and very small. They have frame lines for both full frame and M8 (dashed/solid). However, I am not sure how much of an advantage they offer on an M8 since one can use 24mm frame lines or the entire viewfinder frame for the 24mm/21mm lenses.

Mark
    If the 21 mm finder has framelines for ff and for M8-crop that means it has framelines for 16 and 21 mm on the M8 which would be a good replacement for the Frankenfinder.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I love the M8.2 and replaced one of my M8s with the M8.2

However I wouldnt see the 24/3.8 that interesting. Why limit oneself with a slow lens?
    But thats me.
    I dont find the 24/2.8 that big (but then I also prefer 28/2.0 anyways regarding focal length and character.)
    28 and 50asph have become my absolute favorits, followed by the wate and 75 Summarit.

Enjoy the M8.2 Guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez folks they sent this too early for me, I said middle of November and Leica just sent it( better not complain to loud. LOL). I am in the middle of 2 big projects and have yet to step outside in days. Sorry for the delay
    Why would you let work get in the way of play?

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great idea, My vision problem is severe astigmatism which precludes contact lenses but i have been looking for someone who could make my prescription in a lens format that would fit in a diopter ring for the M8.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is there any site that shows what the new framelines look like? Do they look the same, only larger? I am just curious. I am sentimental about the frames in the MP/M7 -- I am just more used to them. If the ones in the M8.2 looked the same, only smaller, I would prefer that to the way they look now.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook