The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Dumb Question--M9 Related

wjlapier

Do lenses need to be coded for to be used on a M9? UV/IR filters? I'm finally about to buy a M9 and am wondering since my lenses aren't coded.

FrozenInTime

Do not use UV/IR filters - not needed and will probably make things worse with wides.
There is no need to code other than for convenience.
Non coded lens IDs can be selected from a menu.

D&A

Hi,

All the info mentioned is correct. One advantage though of using a lens thats coded is that each time you change a lens, you don't have to remember to go into the menu and change the lens selection...which often times, people forget to do. This of course will have no effect when using 50mm and longer focal length lenses, except for the exif data indicating focal length of lens being used won't be recorded. Yet for 35mm and wider lenses, it is important to have the camera recognize which lens is in use, so in-camera corrections can be applied to the recorded image, in order to address possible "red edge" issues and also vignetting.

Dave (D&A)

250swb

Dave has explained it well. Regarding filters there is nothing to stop you using a good quality UV/protection filter on your lenses, but an IR filter isn't needed. The vignetting that the camera compensates for is for light fall off due to the angle the light hits the sensor, plus any intrinsic fall off with extra wide lenses. So if you use a UV filter on your lenses with a film camera they will still work okay on your M9. And congratulations on your purchase.

Steve

Paratom

I might be wrong but I believe to remember that coding the lens also would lead to some lens specific correction of vignetting and eventually some color vignetting correction for wide angel lenses?

FrozenInTime

I might be wrong but I believe to remember that coding the lens also would lead to some lens specific correction of vignetting and eventually some color vignetting correction for wide angel lenses?
This is correct.
But with the M9 the lens code can be either read automatically or manually set via a menu.
As Dave expanded on, it's all too easy to forget, in the heat of action, to go into the menu and update the manual lens selection when swapping lenses around.
In an ideal world it would be nice to code all ones lenses and to leave the selection menu at auto ( only 3 of my 10 lenses are coded ).

Paratom

I dont think it would be necessary to code anything 50mm and longer, just get the 35 and wider coded and leave correction on auto. works well for me.

DDudenbostel

If shooting raw and converting is it necessary to select a code or code wides in camera or can this correction be done in LR4? I think LR4 has Leica and Zeiss lens correction profiles in a pull down menue. I use LR4 for converting my D800 images and the aberrations are fully corrected this way. My Hasselblad images / raw are corrected the same way.