The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noctilux : 1.0 to 0.95 : anyone not happy ?

proenca

Look at my name. I'll never change it.

I had the new version of the Noctilux for testing, a really perfect objectively.

But, It's like a woman. Who really wants a perfect wife? :D:D
to be honest, I might being to harsh on the new lens.

have to use it more.

now : perfect wife ? I do.

wait : already got one : wouldnt change a single hair on that woman. she is THAT perfect - for me.

might not be everyone cup of tea, but for me, she is the most complete, gorgeous and beautifull being on the universe .;)

proenca

I wonder if the previous suggestion of adding a vignette in post could be expanded to two layers...one for vignette and another for a varient of Gaussian Blur in those cases that you want the older lens' look.

Each effect could be applied and manipulated independently and without changing the original picture.

Bob
too much work :)

I simply have to use it more, honestly. but initially, I'm a tad dissapointed with the lens - just "too" perfect.

like cars I guess - new cars are, without a doubt, super performance, highly economical, aerodynamic perfect and all that jazz - but classics have something special.

Perhaps I put my expectations too high for the most expensive Leica lens ever ? dunno, time will tell.

Good thing about Leica lens : never lost any money on a single lens since I first bought my first one. :thumbup:

algrove

I have decided to keep my Mandler lenses even though the newer varieties are very crisp with good contrast. Actually it is the 75/1.4 that convinced me to keep the other Mandlers the 1.0 included. Now when I get my MM I can put the 1.0 on my M9P and the 0.95 on the MM.

If your 1.0 does not satisfy send it to Leica for a calibration check. I have now done that with all my older (Mandler) lenses that could be 6 bit coded and it was well worth the wait and expense.

P.S. As far as cars go, the older ones have a corner of my heart, especially my original one owner Ruf CTR Yellowbird light weight. Heck, it still beats new Ferraris on the Daytona track during PCA events. 0-60 in around 3 seconds sure keeps the ticker going even for an old fart like me!

D&A

I have decided to keep my Mandler lenses even though the newer varieties are very crisp with good contrast. Actually it is the 75/1.4 that convinced me to keep the other Mandlers the 1.0 included. Now when I get my MM I can put the 1.0 on my M9P and the 0.95 on the MM.

If your 1.0 does not satisfy send it to Leica for a calibration check. I have now done that with all my older (Mandler) lenses that could be 6 bit coded and it was well worth the wait and expense.

P.S. As far as cars go, the older ones have a corner of my heart, especially my original one owner Ruf CTR Yellowbird light weight. Heck, it still beats new Ferraris on the Daytona track during PCA events. 0-60 in around 3 seconds sure keeps the ticker going even for an old fart like me!
I like both Mandler era designed lenses as well as many of the more modern ones. It all depends what I am shooting. If it was me personally, I would possible put a 50mm f1 on the MM giving B&W images that classic look of a bygone era and save the 0.95 for a M9 or M10 camera. Of course I should be so lucky to own these and other lenses (a few which I did at one time or another). The 75mm Lux I could envision would be great woith both cameras (the MM and M9/M10)....depending what f-stop was selected and subject matter being photographed. Of course there is no right or wrong, just ones own personal vision.

Dave (D&A)

Paratom

Ok,
here I admit that I had a love-hate relation ship with the 1.0 Noctilux. Love because when you hit the focus and for certain scenes it produces a unique look. Hate because it was hit or miss.

The Nocti 0.95 I only have a love relationship. I love the color, I love the bokeh, I love the overall look, I have it much much better under control. The only disadvantages I see are price (however the value is pretty stable) and weight (my biggest concern).

But I am also somebody who sold his 75/1.4 3 years ago and never looked back. Why because I can focus both the Summarit (or lately the 75 Summicron) easier, faster, more reliable.
I dont find the newer designs to produce "clinical" look. I would call it "powerfull" look with deep colors and good contrast.

proenca

You are spot on : 1.0 should be brilliant on the MM - the flatter contrast and swirlier bokeh would suit the MM perfectly.

Oh well, couldnt justifiy to keep both - hurts that my 1.0 was a perfect copy in terms of focus shift.

Don't start talking about Porsches - my Turbo is my pride and joy and gosh... REALLY ? CTR Yellowbird LW ? mateeeeeeeeeeee... in Leica terms my Porsche is a Zeiss 35 2.8 and that is a Noctilix 0.95 ASPH :) keep that baby forever :)

algrove

Just a suggestion, but anyone with an older lens that does not seem right focusing wise or any other way, send it in to Leica for a 6 bit coding and they will do the calibration/specification check included in the price.

In the US it's only USD130 for this service including the 6 bit coding.

proenca

Just a suggestion, but anyone with an older lens that does not seem right focusing wise or any other way, send it in to Leica for a 6 bit coding and they will do the calibration/specification check included in the price.

In the US it's only USD130 for this service including the 6 bit coding.
good tip ; however, to have spot on focusing, please be aware that you must send the camera as well ( aware in the sense that you will be without camera for the timeframe of the coding/adjustment )

takes abour 3 weeks turnaround time - 180 euros if I recall correctly.

algrove

good tip ; however, to have spot on focusing, please be aware that you must send the camera as well ( aware in the sense that you will be without camera for the timeframe of the coding/adjustment )

takes abour 3 weeks turnaround time - 180 euros if I recall correctly.
All the more reason to own for than one M.

asiafish

Hi Stephen, so that begs the question: does it still make sense to keep both the lux and the noct? I suppose the size different will be the only factor to choose the lux over noct?
I’d say no. I sold my 50 Lux ASPH to buy the f/0.95 and use it as my primary 50. When I absolutely want to go small and/or light I use my50 Cron (non APO) or my 1937 vintage 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar, which is even smaller and lighter, though far less perfect.

You just succesfully revived a 5 years old thread :lecture:

That being said, the .95 is my ”daily driver”. No need for other 50’s.

DB5

My 0.95 lives on my M. A truly remarkable lens. Not just how sharp it is, it's the colour and tonality, wonderful.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I only have one to thing to say about this: Mandler was a GOD of lens design and the resulting character.

(And I'm willing fight with anybody who disagrees.) :ROTFL:

Computers and aspheric elements can render more perfect optical performance, but perfection in optical performance for creative imaging is significantly over-rated --- lest you have a specific need for it, and I submit ultra-wide-aperture/shallow DOF imaging is not going to require that need... Any of us present or past Leica photographers with a predominant amount of gray hair, know and respect the capabilities of Mandler lenses. If I were to resurge to Leica M, I would immediately buy a 28/2 Cron (it drew exceptionally well, but not certain it was a Mandler lens -- had to at least be one of his contemporaries :D ), pre-asph 50 and 75 Summilux's, and probably a 21/2.8 Elmarit as well; and in R I wouldn't even consider a body unless I could also immediately buy a 19/2.8 and an 80/1.4.

PS: We used to refer the specific Mandler-style look as "juice" :D

Last edited: