The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noctilux : 1.0 to 0.95 : anyone not happy ?

proenca

Cause I'm not that impressed.

I upgraded my Noctilux f1.0 to a 0.95 ASPH and... well.. I'm missing the old lady.

0.95 is a controlled beast, super sharp at 0.95, minimal vigneting all that jazz.

super perfect, size and weight difference is irrelevant - I used my 1.0 as a daily lens for more than 1 year, so I'm quite used to it ... BUT

I miss 1.0 personality.

I miss the 1.0 crazy swirly bokeh and heavy vignetting.

I'm going to give this 0.95 ASPH lens a couple more tries, but first time I upgrade a lens and I'm heavily gutted missing the old lady.

Construction wise, the 0.95 is rock solid, superb. Even the boxes it came with its a piece of art. But... the optics... humm.... too perfect ?

ramosa

I agree. I have only limited hands-on experience with these two beasts. But that experience, plus lots of viewing of photos from each, leaves me definitely preferring the f1.0. It's a personal thing, but I really don't like the ultra-modern, Karbe rendering. I much prefer the previous rendering (which is sort of a mix of classic and modern) ... and, for me, that's true for all Leica lenses.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well,

the new 0.95 can not be too perfect - what stupid thing. It is just a better and more controlled modern optical construction. Would these possibilities have existed some 45 years ago, also the 1.0 would have had that look.

I personally own the 1.0 and wide open at 1.0 I find it too much uncontrolled. Sure it has character - if you want that call like that, but basically it is not such a good and perfect optical design as the .95.

Would I have (want) the money to spend I would definitely upgrade.

Peter

PS: not sure if I would not keep the 1.0 as well ;)

Godfrey

Just goes to point at that at this strata of lenses, each individual lens has a personality for a user to like or dislike.

There are basically no "bad" lenses for Leica M mount, in my experience. There are only the ones I like to shoot with more than others. :)

D&A

Interestingly I felt similary when it came to the new 35mm Lux asph FLE. It was a bit too modern and lacked some of the character and slightly more attractive bokeh of its predecessor. It's subjective of course and a case can be made for either. Unfortunately for my use, the focus shift of the Pre FLE version was a bit too much of an issue. I do find the current 50mm Lux asph, although near perfect, did retain a sort of idntifiable signature that I could live with.

As for the two Nocts,I like both and it all depends what the object is, image wise. That's what makes optics great. It's a little like ice cream flavors..there's something for everyone and we all have our likes and dislikes.

Dave (D&A)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I've owned all three Noctis and currently own the .95. I actually prefer the way it renders - the wide-open bokeh is smoother and more predictable. I really like the fact that as you stop down to 2.8 or so or beyond performance converges with the 50mm Summilux - very high praise. Finally, I prefer the .95's focus throw - I find it much is easier to focus, a really important factor with this lens.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I'd go further. All of these lenses (the various Noctis) have serious magic. The ability to turn mundane things like street signs or a candlestick into poetry. No, I'm not unhappy at all. M9 + Nocti @ f.95.

StephenPatterson

I never owned the Noctilux f/1 (shot one on a few occasions) but I'm extremely happy with the Noctilux 0.95 that I purchased just over a month ago. I had thought that it would be a specialty lens, and that for a majority of my 50mm work I would continue to rely upon my 50 Summilux ASPH, but I have found the Noctilux 0.95 more than up to the task. It's wonderful wide open, but stopped down also delivers IQ that is on par with it's nearest cousin.

Having only shot a few hundred frames with the Nocti f/1 I don't feel I am in any position to judge, but I will say that I did not come away with a strong desire to purchase one.

Hosermage

Hi Stephen, so that begs the question: does it still make sense to keep both the lux and the noct? I suppose the size different will be the only factor to choose the lux over noct?

StephenPatterson

Hi Stephen, so that begs the question: does it still make sense to keep both the lux and the noct? I suppose the size different will be the only factor to choose the lux over noct?
Well that is an interesting question. I'm still learning my way around the Noctilux 0.95, but the results so far have been above my expectations. I still absolutely love the 50 Summilux ASPH, and would never considering selling it (never sell Leica glass) but the Noctilux is being used for much more than just "wide open portraits".

I want to do more testing to see how the Nocti and Summilux compare with magenta edge in high contrast areas. If I remember correctly DN did something along these lines on La Vida Leica. I need to see if I can find that article...

Last edited:

CharlesK

I have the 50 Nocti f/1.0 and the 50 Lux Asph. I have not had the opportunity to try the 50 Noct 0.95, but I am thrilled to have the 1.0 as it is slightly smaller and lighter, and fortunately it is an excellent copy. Of course the rendering is very different to the 50 Lux Asph, and for this reason I am keeping both. If I need the more modern look, I use the 50 Lux.

I do appreciate the difference in the Mandler and Karbe designs, and it is great that we do have this choice. The 75 Lux is still one of my favourite lenses too:)

D&A

The 75 Lux is still one of my favourite lenses too:)
Mine too! (the 75mm Lux). With it's speed and shallow depth of field, it's sort of a cross between the two Nocts in some ways. It has a lovely uniquely recognized signature somewhat like the 50mm Lux pre asph but with a sharper (but gentle) rendering of the subject when used wide open. A versitile lens.

I personally found the f1.0 Noct most effective when used selectively to photograph certain subjects, with the resulting rendering unique unto this lens. When used this way it too was a favorite of mine too.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Double Negative

Not Available
If I had to choose, I'd pick the Summilux over the Noctilux. I mean, c'mon - it's darn near perfect and quite compact.

But luckily, I don't have to. :p

There really is something about the Noctilux, shot wide open (either version really). As for the latest being "too perfect" I can see how some might say that (as well as the 35 FLE). The bokeh is different in some cases over the older version(s). I too prefer the look of the older 35. Thankfully the 50 doesn't seem to have the same "issue."

proenca

Thanks all for the inputs.

I guess I just have to put it more to use : I knew the old 1.0 nocti like the palm of my hand, all its flaws ( erm.. personality :) ) and one thing I do miss DEARLY : the focusing distance.

it DOES makes a big difference the 0.7m minimum vs 1.0m min.

Agree with the focus throw : its much better on the 0.95 and with either Nocti, woody is spot on : you can turn almost any mundane object into something special.

Have to give the new lady a fairer chance and shoot out the crap out of it :)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I wonder if the previous suggestion of adding a vignette in post could be expanded to two layers...one for vignette and another for a varient of Gaussian Blur in those cases that you want the older lens' look.

Each effect could be applied and manipulated independently and without changing the original picture.

Bob

f 10

Look at my name. I'll never change it.

I had the new version of the Noctilux for testing, a really perfect objectively.

But, It's like a woman. Who really wants a perfect wife? :D:D