The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

$1000 off new M9-P

pophoto

Remember, they won't have much resources for replacement sensors because of Kodak! Also newer is always better in digital! And they need to sell inventory.

algrove

Boy, do they need to sell inventory! Every dealer I have visited in the last 6 months has had all the M9/M9P you want.

Who says the economic downturn has not hit the luxury camera market.

Now let's see what happens in other countries, especially Europe, since I sense that economic block is suffering more than the US is suffering.

pophoto

Boy, do they need to sell inventory! Every dealer I have visited in the last 6 months has had all the M9/M9P you want.

Who says the economic downturn has not hit the luxury camera market.

Now let's see what happens in other countries, especially Europe, since I sense that economic block is suffering more than the US is suffering.
Isn't that the point, to get it off their shelves, with a discount?

StephenPatterson

Remember, they won't have much resources for replacement sensors because of Kodak! Also newer is always better in digital! And they need to sell inventory.
That's nonsense.

Yes, I'm sure that Dale Photo are wanting to clear inventory ahead of the Photokina announcements and possible new models, but to post fear mongering comments about Truesense, the former Kodak subsidiary, is reprehensible. Truesense is a strong and well financed company that continues to produce sensors for both the M8 and M9, and will do so for years to come. Even if a new M10 uses a sensor from another manufacturer the purchasing department at Leica will continue to place orders for KAF10500 and KAF18500 sensors.

If at some point in the future Truesense decides to discontinue production of one or both of these models then Leica will negotiate with them for an "end of life" buy, which would stock their shelves with enough inventory to support repairs for decades.

In 20 years my TV, my mobile phone and my computer will all be long retired to the scrap heap, but I have no doubt that my M9 will still be producing amazing full frame images.

pophoto

That's nonsense.

Yes, I'm sure that Dale Photo are wanting to clear inventory ahead of the Photokina announcements and possible new models, but to post fear mongering comments about Truesense, the former Kodak subsidiary, is reprehensible. Truesense is a strong and well financed company that continues to produce sensors for both the M8 and M9, and will do so for years to come. Even if a new M10 uses a sensor from another manufacturer the purchasing department at Leica will continue to place orders for KAF10500 and KAF18500 sensors.

If at some point in the future Truesense decides to discontinue production of one or both of these models then Leica will negotiate with them for an "end of life" buy, which would stock their shelves with enough inventory to support repairs for decades.

In 20 years my TV, my mobile phone and my computer will all be long retired to the scrap heap, but I have no doubt that my M9 will still be producing amazing full frame images.
Then I concede and bow to your knowledge.:salute:

JWW

One other possible reason is that with the US dollar being much stronger recently versus the euro, the European list pricing for the M9P (without taxes) versus US list prices have been divergent (lower in Europe).

This discount could help even out the dollar-euro ratio without actually decreasing the US list price.

It will be interesting to see if the M10 European price vs US list price will be as wide a spread, when announced.

StephenPatterson

Is this a Leica promotion or Dale?
Apparently this is a Leica USA promotion.

Based upon this latest news it will be very interesting to see what happens to S2 prices in the coming weeks.

Leica cameras and lenses in stock...new products on the horizon...it's definitely an exciting time to be a Leica fan. And for me the best part is that the speculators are now running for the door.

StephenPatterson

It is being reported that the instant discounts of $500 and $1000 on an M9 or M9P are being offered not only by Dale Photo, but also the Leica Store DC. This seems to be an instant rebate from Leica USA through authorized dealers in the US, and of course the US factory store.

monza

It's interesting as there is nothing on the Leica website (although I haven't checked today) and nothing on the major dealer sites like B&H, and no communication (yet) from my Leica rep.

Brian S

There was a discussion on life expectancy of the sensor used in the M9 in the Leica Users Forum.

The KAF-1600 in my 20 year old digital camera is still working well. If it went out, Truesense produces the newer KAF-1603 that would replace it. I also found a second source for KAF-1600's.

CCD's are preferred in the scientific imaging field. Truesense supplies sensors for the scientific and medical industry. The KAF-18500 has just been offered in Monochrome. It is the same detector.

monza

Finally got the confirmation...the dealer must sell @ retail price (at least the paperwork must reflect the retail price.)

monza

To comply with Leica's policies, this promotion must state the SP of the Leica M9 of $6,995 and indicate the Leica gift card amount of $500 which is applied to the purchase. To comply with Leica’s Policies, a dealer cannot reflect a discounted price or a final purchase price. The promotion is valid only in the United States and Canada and will run through October 31, 2012.
To claim the $500 credit, dealers need to do the following:
• Dealers must complete the attached Leica M9 Leica Gift Card Promotion Form and return to Leica’s Accounting Department.
• Dated sales receipts must be attached to the Promotion Form. The sales receipt must include the customer’s name, address and product serial number. The receipt must be dated from August 17 through October 31, 2012.
• Promotion is only valid for brand new Leica M9 imported by Leica Camera Inc. (USA) and sold through our authorized North American dealers.

algrove

They can discount the M9's all they want. They are still much cheaper in Europe.

About 1-2 months ago LeicaRumors mentioned that S2 bodies would possibly be reduced to $10k once a new S3 was introduced and there would also be some sort of lens package announced. There has been a strange silence on that front ever since the post.

For me I'll stick with my SWC/503 package with P45+ back. The current V lens prices are incredibly low.

@Monza-B&H are closed on Saturdays for religious reasons. Their site will probably be updated tomorrow, Sunday, when they are back to work. The announcement came out too late and probably after they had finished their day on Friday.

StephenPatterson

@Monza-B&H are closed on Saturdays for religious reasons.
A fact that is apparent to anyone who has ever visited the B&H store in New York. During our visit last year it was the first time my Chinese wife had ever seen (or heard of) Hasidic Jews and she was surprised by the beards and long side curls. Unfortunately her distraction did not extend to failing to notice the number of purchases I made.

With floor after floor of gear it is truly an amazing place that everyone should visit at least once.

monza

Heh, yes I'm well aware of B&H as a customer as well as affiliate. :) They are almost always the fastest site for updating this sort of thing; the Leica email is time stamped 9:19 am Friday...guess Leica wasn't a priority that day. :) FWIW, Adorama and Amazon don't reference it either.

---
To: Photo Reps <[email protected]>; Leica Store Managers <[email protected]>
Cc: In-house <[email protected]>
Sent: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 9:19 am