Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 50 of 50

Thread: Leica Monochrom Field Test

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Here's a video showing street photography at night with the Leica Monochrom. I shot and edited the video and would love your feedback and questions!

    Leica Monochrom Hands-On Field Test - YouTube
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    Here's a video showing street photography at night with the Leica Monochrom. I shot and edited the video and would love your feedback and questions!

    Leica Monochrom Hands-On Field Test - YouTube
    Awesome! Now, when's mine getting here? I'm going to have to see it again on something other then my IPad.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers, Matt

    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

  3. #3
    Senior Member CharlesK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    730
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Brilliant Great video and very interesting perspective, to a convert already
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

    http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Awesome! Now, when's mine getting here? I'm going to have to see it again on something other then my IPad.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers, Matt

    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Apparently, they should be shipping very soon. The Monochrom we used couldn't be that far from production quality, everything functioned brilliantly.

  5. #5
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    It's a really fun video that clearly points out the differences of the M Monochrom. I especially like that you discuss the need to use colored lens filters, as this is going to be very different from the way people have been converting M9 DNG files in Silver Efex Pro 2. I might have wished to see more on the unique M Monochrom features (clip highlights warning on histogram) and less on items identical to the M9 (shutter discrete mode) but it's a great video for the person looking at purchasing their first digital Leica.

    Well done!!!

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    Here's a video showing street photography at night with the Leica Monochrom. I shot and edited the video and would love your feedback and questions!

    Leica Monochrom Hands-On Field Test - YouTube
    Thank you for posting this.

    It was great to see young, enthusiastic street shooters who actually get what rangefinder photography is all about, ... instead of competitive/comparative whining about boutique positioning and missing electronic toys and such.

    If my upcoming eye surgery to remove advanced cataracts, and the use of replacement lenses to correct my astigmatism is successful, my eyes will be more like theirs again, and I can get back to M photography like I did once before ... when the only camera I owned was a M, and the only film I ever used in it was B&W.

    Maybe with a Monochrome ... I even have a complete collection of Leica colored filters that I never sold

    Thanks so much for the link! Exciting and inspiring!

    -Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Thank you for posting the link, It's a nicely done video and general introduction to what appears to be an exciting addition to digital and especially M rangefinder photography. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the talented work of those here on Getdpi and of many others using this camera, especially in output to print. B&W and street photography of course go hand in hand and it's great to see a younger generation carry on the tradition, but the one area I would love to see expanded on is a more affordable model of a similar camera, so that those students and individuals with more modest means, could embrace this newer approach to imaginative B&W work.

    As was expressed/implied towards the end of the video, this camera brings back "age old nostalgic photography" and if it's to accomplish that goal, it would be nice to include budding young talented photographers who desire to shoot with a rangefinder, a tool that they could realistically save up for and afford. I'm definitely excited by this new offering.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 18th August 2012 at 06:20.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Here's a short blog post about the video:
    Leica Monochrom Hands-On Field Test | The Camera Store

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Jordan: I watched it again a couple of times last night on the big screen. It was an exceptional video. I enjoyed it, and, the obvious enthusiasm everybody had for the camera.

    BTW, great blog and set of lenses for the FS700.

    Cheers, Matt

    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

  10. #10
    Workshop Member kuau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Park City, UT
    Posts
    1,071
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Now if only Sony, Olympus or Pentax would release a Monochrome camera that would be awsome for the rest of us how can't afford the real deal Leica....
    Excellent video BTW... To bad I didn't win the recent 330 million dollar loto :-)
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Thank you for posting the link, It's a nicely done video and general introduction to what appears to be an exciting addition to digital and especially M rangefinder photography. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the talented work of those here on Getdpi and of many others using this camera, especially in output to print. B&W and street photography of course go hand in hand and it's great to see a younger generation carry on the tradition, but the one area I would love to see expanded on is a more affordable model of a similar camera, so that those students and individuals with more modest means, could embrace this newer approach to imaginative B&W work.

    As was expressed/implied towards the end of the video, this camera brings back "age old nostalgic photography" and if it's to accomplish that goal, it would be nice to include budding young talented photographers who desire to shoot with a rangefinder, a tool that they could realistically save up for and afford. I'm definitely excited by this new offering.

    Dave (D&A)
    Dave-Perhaps the easiest way for young students and anyone else for that matter to experience the M Monochrom would be to go the a Leica Akademie B&W workshop where a full assortment of lens and bodies will await you.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Dave-Perhaps the easiest way for young students and anyone else for that matter to experience the M Monochrom would be to go the a Leica Akademie B&W workshop where a full assortment of lens and bodies will await you.
    The Calgary Leica Academie is coming soon!
    https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/...coming-calgary

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Dave-Perhaps the easiest way for young students and anyone else for that matter to experience the M Monochrom would be to go the a Leica Akademie B&W workshop where a full assortment of lens and bodies will await you.
    Agreed...but if a monochrom digital camera is going to be the future new norm (in some respects) for the burgenoing student of B&W photography, a model has to be offered thats within the relm of their financial means to obtain one. Like SLR film photography, there is/was dozens of entry level film camera to choice from for their introductory photography clases. Thats how many eventually became Leica rangefinder users. It might be that this sort of introductory monochrom camera might have to come in the form of a lower end DLSR, who's sensor has the bayer filter removed and firmware wrttten to take advantage of this B&W only designed digital SLR. I believe if the appropriate price point could be reached, it might pave the way for a whole new generation of young B&W photographers.

    Sure they could use a regular digitial camera and convert the color files, but besides B&W only designed camera will be most analogous to the era of having ones camera only loaded with B& film and a closer approximation to emulating some chosen image characteristics. USe of color filters for such a camea, brings such an ideal closer for them.

    Dave (D&A)

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Now if only Sony, Olympus or Pentax would release a Monochrome camera that would be awsome for the rest of us how can't afford the real deal Leica....
    Excellent video BTW... To bad I didn't win the recent 330 million dollar loto :-)
    Steven,

    If you seach and read some of my past posts regarding certain desirable equipment I'd love to have, you'd see that I already requested the winning ticket ot one of the upcoming multi-million dollar lotteries. So unfortunately you'll have to be 2nd in line behind me!....LOL!

    *** See my comments in my post diretly "above" regarding a more afordable digital B&W only monochrom camera.

    Dave (D&A)

  15. #15
    Senior Member dude163's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick , Canada
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Thats a cool video . But no matter how enthusiastic you can be its hard to be young and drop 7 grand on a MM, and then another 5000 on 2 lenses.

    Im not a young dude anymore, but Im just sayin'

  16. #16
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    > a model has to be offered thats within the relm of their financial means to obtain one.

    Maybe a lower priced Fuji X-Pro1 model with B&W only could be the ticket. But it is not stricktly rangefinder.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    If anyone is going to do a more affordable B&W camera, I'd expect Fuji to do it. They've been successfully banking on nostalgia with the X series, and their 'film emulation' modes would make perfect sense on such a camera. I'd be very tempted...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Senior Member dude163's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick , Canada
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    I do find that taking B+W on my lowly M8 does have good results, but Im using old lenses , heck my cron 50 is older than me at 48 yrs old , my new one is a 73 135mm! ( Leitz Canada :P)

    I think a copy of silver efex pro may be a wise investment for me until 2022 when I can afford a MM

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Like the video a lot. Even getting interested in an MM.

    In the meantime, what I discovered experimenting with the X2 yesterday is that if I want a classic handling B&W only camera ...

    - switch it to one of the two BW modes
    - set it to manual focus and pick a nice zone at f/5.6 or so
    - turn off raw, turn off the LCD, fit optical finder
    - set Auto ISO to run to 1/15 s and ISO 6400, or set exposure manually

    Voila! Mini-MM one lens camera... very very appealing.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Near me all our Photo Centre entry level classes for early photographers THE prerequisite is that you agree to shoot film only. All my film cameras were picked up by students (actually purchased for them by their parents) for that sole purpose.

    What I find most interesting is that the photo shops and printing/development shops tell me that for them film is on the rise.

    Many professors here say that around 25% of students opt to continue to shoot film photography instead of switching over to digital once their first year film requirement is fulfilled.

    Now in the summer camps here for kids, I noticed ALL had some form of DSLR, P&S or whatever. Each and every 2 week photo camp was sold out here all summer long. Now that is good news to have that many kids exposed to the more creative and serious side of photography all while having fun. I saw the 30 minute graduation slide show for 2 classes of students and I must say we are in good stead-they were brilliant!

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Like the video a lot. Even getting interested in an MM.

    In the meantime, what I discovered experimenting with the X2 yesterday is that if I want a classic handling B&W only camera ...

    - switch it to one of the two BW modes
    - set it to manual focus and pick a nice zone at f/5.6 or so
    - turn off raw, turn off the LCD, fit optical finder
    - set Auto ISO to run to 1/15 s and ISO 6400, or set exposure manually

    Voila! Mini-MM one lens camera... very very appealing.
    Now you have given me a great idea. Convince my wife to use her X-2 for B&W just as you suggest and then she will no longer need the MM her dealer has for her.

    As you say, et Voila, now I have her MM for me! Thanks ever so much! And I'll tell her it was your idea.

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    If anyone is going to do a more affordable B&W camera, I'd expect Fuji to do it. They've been successfully banking on nostalgia with the X series, and their 'film emulation' modes would make perfect sense on such a camera. I'd be very tempted...
    Dan at maxmax is looking into converting sensors from mirrorless cams (Sony and Canon) to monochrome.

    It is good to have the MM in the market as a catalyst.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    89
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    It has been announced for some long yet to see it in store, what gives? other people's review is nice but i certainly want to hold it before any commitment.
    Leica MP, M7, ZM21/4.5, Leica 35/1.4, 75/2

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post
    It has been announced for some long yet to see it in store, what gives? other people's review is nice but i certainly want to hold it before any commitment.
    The is human time and there is Leica time. One is much slower than the other.

    -Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #25
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post
    It has been announced for some long yet to see it in store, what gives? other people's review is nice but i certainly want to hold it before any commitment.
    Honestly holding it is not going to tell you anything, as it is exactly the same as an M9-P, other than the black chrome finish. The decision making process for the M Monochrom all comes down to the images, and for that I would suggest reviewing the excellent sample images posted here by Jono Slack. His gracious offer to allow GetDPI members to download and edit his original DNG files is an amazing opportunity to see for yourself if the advantages of the M Monochrom over the M9 are measurable.

    Or you could just buy an MM, fly to China, take the train or bus to XingPing and shoot your own images, but I highly recommend saving the $15,000+ until you're sure it's the camera for you.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Make it the camera for you. Go out and shot nothing but B&W. Hold it in your hand, put on your own lens and start capturing images.

    I can think of one place to go. How about the morning wholesale food market somewhere in France with a French chef to help you break the ice with the agricultural representatives-the farmers?

    Now which lenses will work? 35FLE for sure-I like the subject in his or her world and surroundings, 50 Noctilux-I like the feel of the lens on the MM, but the shots will be difficult to hit. 75? No too long here. 21/1.4-could be good for in close and personal-some might say 24/1.4.
    I will only take 3 lenses and maybe 2 bodies. The action will be fast and I had better be zone focused more often that not. Exposure? It will be dark early on, but there will those morning rays of light filtering through from time to time. I will start with the 35 and see if I need the 21. Should I think about taking the 28/2 and boost the ISO a bit?

    Do I even think about color? No, just take the MM and start recoding life. Do I take 2 MM bodies then? Can't-only have one. You always should have a back-up. Ok I'll take the M9P and set it to DNG +Jpeg Fine in B&W.

    Decisions, decisions.

    Wait! How about just going to a Leica Akademie B&W workshop and try out the MM, hold it in your hand, put on any lens they have, and go out and start capturing images. Now that might jusy be a $500 lesson, but priceless.

  27. #27
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Great video and nice to see such enthusiasm. When that is said, there is an alternative ways to b&w. It's called film. One roll of film plus development cost me less than $10 and close to half if I develop myself. That's between 50 and 100,000 shots with the gear I already have or what can be bought for virtually nothing for the $15,000 or so the Leica and a couple of lenses would have cost me. I do lose ISO 10,000 or whatever, but photography works surprisingly well at lower ISOs also.

    Just sayin'...

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    $10 for 36 pics and maybe one or two keepers. $5 per film keeper adds up pretty quickly.

    Plus, while considerably less expensive, a film body isn't free, and "apples-to-apples", the lenses cost the same if you've using a M rangefinder. So, it really isn't film M verses $15,000 digital MM system. It is a $1,500 M body verses a $7,800 MM digital body ... which puts it at about $6,300 difference.

    $6,300 divided by $5 per film keeper = $1,260 worth of keeper shots on film, not 50,000 to 100,000. Non-keeprs on digital cost nothing additional except the time to delete them.

    That said, IMO, film has its own look and feel even compared to the MM and is still a good reason to use it. Plus, as mentioned, not many have the money to pay for multiple years worth of images up-front, which a $7,800 MM basically represents. With film you pay as you go.

    Just sayin'

    -Marc

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    This same old debate just keeps on going, doesn't it?

    If you really want to stop spending money, stop doing photography at all. It's an expensive habit. If you don't have the money, don't start doing photography.

    Of course, if you bought a digital camera and all the gear that goes along with it, and you ran out of money, you could still be doing photography for a long time.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #30
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Of course, if you bought a digital camera...and you ran out of money, you could still be doing photography for a long time.
    Unless you don't pay your electric bill. Batteries do need charging from time to time

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    Unless you don't pay your electric bill. Batteries do need charging from time to time
    you've never plugged a battery charger into the electrical outlet at a local cafe?

    ;-)
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    This same old debate just keeps on going, doesn't it?

    If you really want to stop spending money, stop doing photography at all. It's an expensive habit. If you don't have the money, don't start doing photography.

    Of course, if you bought a digital camera and all the gear that goes along with it, and you ran out of money, you could still be doing photography for a long time.
    As hobbies go it's actually pretty cheap to be honest, even at Leica prices..
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    As hobbies go it's actually pretty cheap to be honest, even at Leica prices..
    Ben, can surely I attest to that statement.

    A weekend of vintage auto racing (for a lesser class of car and i.e., a lesser cost than many others) can easily cost a Noctilux and MM combined and that assumes you did not break anything.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Ben, can surely I attest to that statement.

    A weekend of vintage auto racing (for a lesser class of car and i.e., a lesser cost than many others) can easily cost a Noctilux and MM combined and that assumes you did not break anything.
    Try a weekend of vintage airplane racing sometime ...
    But if you have that kind of money, AND you're worried about an $8000 MM, you have other issues. =8^\

    I don't worry about price too much, as long as I can afford the gear I want to buy. My other 'hobbies' cost pennies by comparison to the price of a Voigtländer lens, never mind a Leica lens.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #35
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Try a weekend of vintage airplane racing sometime ...
    Been there...done that.

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    I probably couldn't afford vintage shoe racing. Still, I believe in paying for something that is going to reward you more than the sticker price. I am happy to buy a really great camera that is going to give me years and maybe decades of enjoyment. And one really great camera is better than two OK cameras.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #37
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I probably couldn't afford vintage shoe racing. Still, I believe in paying for something that is going to reward you more than the sticker price. I am happy to buy a really great camera that is going to give me years and maybe decades of enjoyment. And one really great camera is better than two OK cameras.
    Just like one truly superb lens is far nicer than a half dozen mostly mediocre ones.

    For the body, I don't know about decades, but years of enjoyment certainly. Lenses should last forever. ;-)

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Forever is a long time.

    My oldest lens lined of for use on the M Monochrom is only 80 years old. 60 years older than my oldest still working DSLR. But just a little older than my oldest 35mm RF.

  39. #39
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    This same old debate just keeps on going, doesn't it?
    Ooops.. sorry for starting that. Not my intention. I just needed an excuse for not buying the MM (or other Leica gear for that matter)

    Maybe I should blame the racing. I don't, but doing photography for those who do race (and crash) cars will not make me a rich man (at least not in this part of the world). "About payment for the last (insert random two digit figure here) races... you see, we blew up two engines during practice last week and..."

    Great chaps to hang out with though

    And I would absolutely love to have an MM (and a Noct), but even an OM-DM would do fine for me. I would even consider skipping colour photography all together, at least for a couple of years, to improve my skills in performing this purest form of photography.

  40. #40
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Forever is a long time.

    My oldest lens lined of for use on the M Monochrom is only 80 years old. 60 years older than my oldest still working DSLR. But just a little older than my oldest 35mm RF.
    Forever can be eternity, if you're immortal, or as long as you like if you aren't. Certainly, after I've taken my seat for my declined years, any lens I still have then I've had forever. ;-)

    Took some photos with a friend's lovely 1934 Elmar 5.0cm last October. Still going strong.

  41. #41
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I probably couldn't afford vintage shoe racing. Still, I believe in paying for something that is going to reward you more than the sticker price. I am happy to buy a really great camera that is going to give me years and maybe decades of enjoyment. And one really great camera is better than two OK cameras.
    I can subscribe to all of that, and this is one of the headaches of modern photography; while buying decades old lenses that still work great is no problem, but when it comes to digital camera bodies, that is much harder. To start with, very few bodies, except those weighing a kilogram or more, seem to be built to take abuse over time, and then there's the sensor thing. Even though I can probably live with a sensor that is 10 years or older, I don't only take photos for my own enjoyment, and the question will arise occasionally: Why can't you take photos in the dark like anybody else? Why don't your photos have smell/3D/small bunnies running around in the hair of the beautiful girl that you just captured a photo of?

    While the MM is undoubtedly state of the art in many respects as of today, except for build quality, it will most probably be overshadowed by some new tool/toy 5 or 10 years into the future. That, of course, will not make it a lesser toy than it is today, but expectations rise.

  42. #42
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

    While the MM is undoubtedly state of the art in many respects as of today, except for build quality, it will most probably be overshadowed by some new tool/toy 5 or 10 years into the future. That, of course, will not make it a lesser toy than it is today, but expectations rise.
    I actually believe we are at one of those technological plateaus where the improvements being made will not be as earth shattering as those of a few years ago.

    The M3 was a major leap forward when compared to the IIIf, and many Leica users upgraded to the new system with it's improved rangefinder/viewfinder/frame lines, bayonet mounting system, improved film loading, etc. Throughout the next 45 years there were many small improvements to the M line, but these were mostly incremental steps to refine the basic version. When the radical M5 was introduced it was so unpopular that the M4 was called back into service, and it was not until the introduction of the M6, which basically added the features of the M5 to the body of the M4, that the Leica faithful were pleased. And while the M8 went through it's initial teething pains it was, in many respects, a game changer.

    I believe the upcoming M10 is a reincarnation of the M5, and that while it will be more advanced with live view, video, etc. it is a half hearted attempt to bridge the gap between the old and new. Will it be able to capture better images than the MM or M9 (or the M8)? Perhaps, in the right hands, but I believe most people viewing images and prints will not see a difference, and certainly will not be able to say that this image must have come from an M10 and this MM or M9 image is somehow not as good. For the truth is that the M8, the M9 and the MM are as good as most of us need, now and in the future, and the added bulk and hybrid viewing system of the M10 will be a detraction for many.

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Future improvements:
    Dynamic Range, especialy on the high-end for charge well capacity. This would prevent highlights from being blown out. This seems to be the direction that the Nikon D4 went. 16MPixels, increased dynamic range.

    Spectral Response of the Detector: eliminate IR response of sensors used for visible-light photography, to eliminate the need for IR filters. Kodak did a good job in shifting spectral response into the visible range compared with the first generation detectors, but 30% or so of the response is still in IR. In the early days of using Photodetectors to replace CDS cells, Gallium-Arsenide detectors were used in some cameras (Nikon FM, Pentax MX, Konica FS-1) as the response is much closer to film. Silicon cells with IR blocking filters were cheaper.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #44
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    I actually believe we are at one of those technological plateaus where the improvements being made will not be as earth shattering as those of a few years ago.

    The M3 was a major leap forward when compared to the IIIf, and many Leica users upgraded to the new system with it's improved rangefinder/viewfinder/frame lines, bayonet mounting system, improved film loading, etc. Throughout the next 45 years there were many small improvements to the M line, but these were mostly incremental steps to refine the basic version. When the radical M5 was introduced it was so unpopular that the M4 was called back into service, and it was not until the introduction of the M6, which basically added the features of the M5 to the body of the M4, that the Leica faithful were pleased. And while the M8 went through it's initial teething pains it was, in many respects, a game changer.

    I believe the upcoming M10 is a reincarnation of the M5, and that while it will be more advanced with live view, video, etc. it is a half hearted attempt to bridge the gap between the old and new. Will it be able to capture better images than the MM or M9 (or the M8)? Perhaps, in the right hands, but I believe most people viewing images and prints will not see a difference, and certainly will not be able to say that this image must have come from an M10 and this MM or M9 image is somehow not as good. For the truth is that the M8, the M9 and the MM are as good as most of us need, now and in the future, and the added bulk and hybrid viewing system of the M10 will be a detraction for many.
    I tend to agree. However, that presupposes a bent toward the rangefinder style photography which is not as prevalent as we may think it is, even amongst M users. Witness the call for all sorts of distracting do-dads to "modernize" the M camera, most of which aren't needed to carry on doing the type of work rangefinders excel at.

    The other aspect of improvement to an existing camera like the M8/M9/MM can happen outside the camera itself with software advancements. It is amazing what can be done with a RAW file from some 5 year old camera run through PP in today's RAW programs. I think that will continue to improve the files of existing cameras well into the future.

    The M5 might not be the best analogy ... its downfall was size, not features ... as proved by the M6. It will be interesting to see how things like a clip-on EVF will be implemented with the M10 and how well a CMOS sensor compares to the CCD of the M9. If the M10 retains the rangefinder as we know it, stays the same size or is even wee-bit smaller, produces IQ that equals or bests the M9 while providing higher ISOs ... and providing all the other do-dads can be ignored ... the M10 will be a viable rangefinder tool, and perhaps the last great M strictly for the rangefinder style of photography.

    We will know soon enough.

    -Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Thank you for posting this.

    It was great to see young, enthusiastic street shooters who actually get what rangefinder photography is all about, ... instead of competitive/comparative whining about boutique positioning and missing electronic toys and such.

    If my upcoming eye surgery to remove advanced cataracts, and the use of replacement lenses to correct my astigmatism is successful, my eyes will be more like theirs again, and I can get back to M photography like I did once before ... when the only camera I owned was a M, and the only film I ever used in it was B&W.

    Maybe with a Monochrome ... I even have a complete collection of Leica colored filters that I never sold

    Thanks so much for the link! Exciting and inspiring!

    -Marc
    Hey Marc

    +1 on advanced cataract surgery. I get the left eye done on 9/16 and the right eye on 10/18. i can't wait because M9 focusing is so difficult for me now and as cataracts are basically yellow filters, my color vision is distorted.

    good luck with yours

    Woody

  46. #46
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,794
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post


    cataracts are basically yellow filters
    Very dirty, distorting yellow filters....

    Bob

  47. #47
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Looking forward to the MM. Considered selling my M9-P to cover cost once the M10 arrives but I will probably keep it and just pay for the MM.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  48. #48
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Jono's shots and write up have convinced me that once the initial furor dies down I'm going to swap my backup M9 for an MM. I still believe I can create B&W images with my M9 that will for the most part be indistinguishable from those of the MM, but in reviewing my archives from last year I see that more than 50% of my DNG keepers are B&W, plus the advantage of very high useful ISO and improved dynamic range lead me to believe that this camera could be a useful tool for my particular style of photography.

    Of course at the present rate of delivery this might not happen until well into 2013.

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    Stephen- Agree with your post. I was in New Orleans (before the storm approached) and REALLY needed more ISO in those Jazz Clubs. I was using ISO 1250 on an M9 and as expected the shadow details are just very noisy, but that has never stopped me from PPing them in the past. Now the clubs/musicians might not even exist/still be there, when I am scheduled to return in November. That's the shame.

    Next week, next week. The fever will begin!

    Just be careful as the increased resolution of the APO 50 might just be a useful "tool" in the future also.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #50
    Senior Member chrism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Monochrom Field Test

    I've just had an e-mail to tell me my MM is in Montreal and will be moving Eastwards. Exciting!

    Chris

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •