The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some Interesting News - Photokina 2012

algrove

Is a pint more or less than (or equal to) a German Mass? Can't wait for some Hefeweizen bier in Koln and then why not head to Oktoberfest! Sounds like a plan to me.

D&A

But I'm just a snapper, and MF cameras freeze my brains. I simply don't have the intellectual staying power. My Sony A900 had a decent optical viewfinder (generally considered) - but I'd rather use an OMD given an equivalent lens.

Love to meet up for a pint and talk about rangefinders though :)
Jono, Shashin is right! Once you have a go with the Penatx 645D and its viewfinder, your views about this type of MFD just might change (that would also apply to the S2). If you put aside size, you'll be famililar with just about everything else. Hey, it even has a CCD sensor, just like the M9 :)

Maybe thats why I can go back and forth between it and the M9 with ease...except those darn Leica lenses keep falling inside the lens throat of the 645D, every time I try to mount one...LOL! Can I share a sip of that pint :)

Dave (D&A)

Godfrey

A bad viewfinder is a bad viewfinder and that has nothing to do with it being an EVF or OVF.
Agree completely.

... I don't know how folks use an APS DSLR, which explains the enthusiasm for live view. I love the viewfinder on my Mamiya 6 and, while I had it, a Horseman SW612.
Some of the smaller format DSLRs have good optical reflex viewfinders, but most of the inexpensive ones are terrible. The optical reflex viewfinder of a top notch pro SLR is one of the biggest factors in the price premium.

ANY Medium Format SLR has a huge advantage in the quality of its reflex viewfinder based simply on the size of the format and the amount of light coming through based on the focusing screen as an illumination source. (An SLR's viewfinder is essentially a dedicated peephole view of a back-projection imaging system with prisms to provide correct orientation.) Smaller format SLRs always struggle with the amount of light available and the quality of the optics used to provide the peephole view ... losses in the system degrade the image quality, the brightness, etc, and the modern trend towards lots of information overlays reduces it further.

Oh for simplicity! When I pick up my Nikon F plain prism body, the viewfinder is so delightful with a simple A or E screen installed. Just as it was with the Pentax 645 and, nearly, with the Olympus E-5. :)

But I prefer the even simpler optical tunnel for its brightness and zero blackout. Where it loses out is in accuracy of framing ...

They're all good in some ways and all fail at some tasks.