Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Welcome to the M8 world.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the M8 world.

Guy,

I have been following you around since the FM DMR days. You have helped me with my DMR and now my M8's. Nice to have a comfortable place to roost. Thank you for setting up this board.

Joe

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank You Joe, nice to have you here and have to say this WILL be a comfortable place to roost. Just been to a couple other sites and i am sick at all the insults going around. Trust me it won't happen here. Jack and I are driving this ship with excellent moderation also. We want a home not a boxing arena. You folks have Carte Blanche but I know when to stop a war.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Steve via your PM . Look you can see where I am from. It is in the Control Panel for each user under profile to put location. Check yours for me . Trying to find that control on the admin side but it maybe the users choice
    Steve location option is not available in the member list. Also we kept that info to a minimum but location is not a option. If folks want to show there locations they have to put that in in there control Panel under user profiles and add there location. I see a couple members that did that and it shows on there posts.

Although if you are in the member list you click my name and my profile will show up and i have my location right there. So that info comes from the members themselves.

On a personal note I do like to see folks locations also , kind of neat to see others from far away lands.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried the first one Carsten and it did help but I did not like it ( thread section looked bad) so I made it darker some and I think it is not as glaring. The second one I can't do because it takes away the burgandy gradient and I don't want to do that one . Jack made that and not sure how to get that one back. I think Andy has to do something on his end in reloading us without the first default behind it. i have to get onto to VBulletin and get advice on that one. But we have noticed it and it is annoying at times and we will fix that one. We will fix that one this week sometime

Thanks Guy
    Cool, it already looks much calmer, something I really appreciate as I am a programmer, and stare at monitors way too much already
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great thanks Carsten, i think we may have had it a little bright it does look better. The other fix is a programming issue that i don't want to touch without Andy and Jack around. Were getting there just takes a little time. Honestly we don't want to junk it up either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried the first one Carsten and it did help but I did not like it ( thread section looked bad) so I made it darker some and I think it is not as glaring. The second one I can't do because it takes away the burgandy gradient and I don't want to do that one . Jack made that and not sure how to get that one back. I think Andy has to do something on his end in reloading us without the first default behind it. i have to get onto to VBulletin and get advice on that one. But we have noticed it and it is annoying at times and we will fix that one. We will fix that one this week sometime

Thanks Guy
    The other more relevant issue is changing the global background color settings affect maybe how six different areas display, not just the forums. So a change that may look "better" to somebody in the forums can make another area look bad, or in some cases un-readable. We made dozens of subtle changes to get ALL affected areas to display well. As such, I am not too inerested in making global changes now. We can look into loading a few free alternative skins to have you select an alternate view for yourself, but these woud not be customizable --- you'd get default gold, blue, red or gray views. In the end, we hope the current graphics are at least adequate for now and prefer to focus our energy on building quality content for the membership.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack, I agree with your sentiment. I am happy for now, and will send very targetted requests if I spot anything else I think could be better. I do like the colours, but I think that something easy on the eyes is more important in the long run. If I end up spending as much time here as I have in LUF, I might hire someone to find better settings
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear you Carsten! The problem is I'm not a coder, and we didin't really even find a skin for purchase we liked better than what we have, the free ones even less so. What we really need is some hot-shot code writer to build us three or four skins that we like, and load them all up. Maybe doable if I win the lottery --- or can find a really smart high school kid that needs afew bucks

Cheers, and thanks for understanding!

Jack
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

... i am sick at all the insults going around. Trust me it won't happen here. Jack and I are driving this ship with excellent moderation also. We want a home not a boxing arena.
    Me too, Guy! Looking forward to participating in a thoroughly enjoyable and informative forum.

Hi to all from ... erm ... "sunny" London

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the site is quite hansome, almost as nice as.....

The main mercedes site!

fotografr

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    fotografr,

At the risk of starting an insane excursion into sports, here :"The Big Game" is Cal/Stanford. (I root for neither.)
    CBS Sunday Morning news: First game mentioned, Ohio State losing to Illinois. Second game mentioned, Wisconsin upsetting Michigan. Guess Cal/Stanford were somewhere down the list.

PaulMayeux

Wow - I wondered where everyone had gone while I was out of town. Nice site guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Paul and welcome!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Paul welcome aboard

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy to be here. I see a bunch of the people who convinced me to stop bitching about the M8 and get one. Oh, why did I wait so long????

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Quick question: can the colour scheme be configured? I prefer something lower key personally.
    Next question

Can the visited/non-visited link colours be easier to differentiate? I find it hard to see at a quick glance which threads have new posts. Perhaps a little colour in the non-visited link?
    Carsten - Website

papimuzo

Great to be here too!
    Should I dare to be member of this (splendid viewing) forum? I am a real amateur photographer and probably have nothing to give.
    But I have already benefited so much from those who apparently lead this one. And I confess that the perpetual ranting at another place
    about what Leica should (have to/had to/must) do made me tired.
    Long life to this forum and happy pictures to all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Marcel --- great to have you here!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello everyone!

I've been following all the M8 discussions I've been able to find since it was released and have finally bought one. I've had it just over a week now and am loving it (when I can find the time to use it).

I look forward to learning from everyone here and hopefully I can contribute something as well.

Cheers,
    Nick

winks

35 Cron ASPH. US Cemetery Chapel at St. Avold, France. I've been shooting the M8 for about 6 months. Haven't touched the 5D since.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kevin nice shot. need to load this in the Gallery too. Good stuff

winks

Going for the garter

I took this at my son's wedding the end of October. He is a Naval Officer and all these single Navy officers made quite a site - some trying to catch the thrown garter, others doing their best to avoid it. I liked the progession from looking to action. 50 Lux.
    Kevin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fly Navy!

Hi y'all! I followed Sean and Guy over here from the L-Camera forums.

I've got a silver M8 and three CV lenses, 21, 28 and 35. I love them all with a passion that is probably illegal in Indiana.

I got my M8 just in time for a European holiday and it proved itself very worthy. Here's one of my favorite shots from Paris:

Here is a collection of photos from my M8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome Maggie very nice capture indeed , love the mood of it. have fun and enjoy yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    35 Cron ASPH. US Cemetery Chapel at St. Avold, France. I've been shooting the M8 for about 6 months. Haven't touched the 5D since.
    Kevin
    This is an image that benefits greatly from the enhanced contrast of the 35 Cron. Guess it shows why you need at least 3 of the 35 FL so you can get it all LOLOLOL

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Feeling really bad that I haven't been able to contribute more here yet, but things with my Mom down in Florida have been, well, "interesting" these past two weeks. Hopefully things will start to settle out now and I can get back to shooting more.... and then the snow starts

I did grab these shots of my sweetie Suzanne before she got out of town to visit the grand-babies for a couple of weeks:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

She looks like someone I'd want to be friends with, for sure! Very nice portraits, full of character.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    She looks like someone I'd want to be friends with, for sure! Very nice portraits, full of character.
    Maggie, she is a character alright. And just about the only woman I have met in recent history that will put up with my crazy life. She raised seven kids in the Ozarks, and has been a professional musician all her life. A bass player no less! That last photo was shot in my place down in "Old" Mexico.... where I am honestly hoping we can return to soon for the rest of the winter at least. It is too dang COLD up here in these United States for me after almost seven years "down South"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I likes me some bass-playin' wimmins. Check out this photoset of mine.

I hear ya, we're weathering an ice storm here in Nebraska.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I likes me some bass-playin' wimmins. Check out this photoset of mine.

I hear ya, we're weathering an ice storm here in Nebraska.
    Music Your rooms look just about like ours do, and will even more once we get everything into just one location! I've got guitars and cameras strung over the continent at the moment. Oh, and Santa is fixin to add to the collection also. Her's to the left, His to the right. For our first Christmas!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that a Rainsong on the right? I've got one of their parlor guitars. Nice stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is that a Rainsong on the right? I've got one of their parlor guitars. Nice stuff.
    Actually no, it is a Composite Acoustics. Their "Legacy" model. They are the other manufacturer making composite carbon guitars. I really liked both the tone and the great action on this better than the Rainsong when I played them both in the same store. Technology changes sometimes are very amazing. I keep humidifiers running 24/7 to keep it stable, and still my Martin needs to be retuned every time I pick it up. This carbon monster has been around for two weeks now, and I only minor tuned it from the day it came home from the shop. Even out of a cold car, warm to room temp and just play. Oh, and of course, IT is the one with the built in tuner... <Grin>.

I'm wondering when the first Leica "Carbon" model will make it's appearance. Seems only natural to me to see the old brass replaced with the much lighter while just as tough carbon fiber as a body frame material on the M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chuck great to finally see you here, i know you have been busy with the New Mexico and Mexico stuff. At some point love to see some stuff in the gallery. You have alot of friends here that would love to see what you have been shooting lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Chuck!

Sounds like you're finally getting settled in your new home --- congrats! I know it was a hassle for you, but it sounds like you life is getting back on the track you wanted it on Super to see you here and as always, love to see your images!

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Hi Chuck!

Sounds like you're finally getting settled in your new home --- congrats! I know it was a hassle for you, but it sounds like you life is getting back on the track you wanted it on Super to see you here and as always, love to see your images!

Cheers,
    Things are indeed starting to settle down a bit now with the big move, however I am beginning to wonder.... today in San Miguel it is 74 degrees... here in Santa Fe? 19. BLOODY freezing! Even the poor dog is wondering what that white stuff is flying around outside <Grin>.

Hans Roggen

Just saying hi to everyone i know frum LUF. Nice to see more M8 related forums on the net. Hope to be here a lot.
    Hans

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Morning Hans and welcome here. Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Also a warm HI to everyone I already know from LUF

and of course all the others. Great place to hang around !

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

After exploring here a little bit, it's good to see a forum with some concerted effort by everyone to share information, rather than to be contentious. I look forward to not simply "lurking" but hope I can make an occasional contribution.

Thanks, Guy and Jack for making it happen.

Norm Snyder