Site Sponsors

Thread: New Acquisition - 80/1.4

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Acquisition - 80/1.4

What better way to kick off the new forum than with a new lens purchase. I'm sure our hosts would agree! I picked up a Summilux-R 80mm 1.4 on eBay Sunday and it was delivered today. I have been wanting to try this lens for some time now. It's a little heavy but feels nicely balanced on the R9/DMR.

Shot with the R9/DMR at f/5.6. I think the OOF area looks very good.

Attachment 46

Wide open it is a little wonky-blurry with halos and aberrations (glow ) but gets sharp quickly. The first image below is at 1.4, the second at 2.8.

Attachment 47
    Attachment 48

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Acquisition - 80/1.4

I *LOVE* the way the 80R Lux paints, especially wide open! It's got that sharp-smooth thing going on wide open, gets really sharp stopped down a few, yet maintains that beautiful, creamy-smooth bokeh. It and the 35 Lux were my two favorite alternative pieces of glass on my Canon DSLRs... Congrats on the new lens!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I am going to really love this lens. Problem is I love 'em all!
    I don't have the 35 Lux but have the 35/2 which I find sharp with much contrast and I am happy with it. In the future, it would be interesting to see which R 35 could match the look of the M 35 Cron IV or M 35 Pre Asph Lux. I very much liked the look of the images I saw from these two lenses from the 35mm post of Carsten's on LUF (I believe Jack posted some if I remember correctly).

But for now, another one with the 80mm, this one at f/2.

Attachment 65

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I had the DMR Charlie this was one of my favorite lenses along with the 180 F2 cron. They threw the mold away when they made this 80 lux. Reason i love the 75 lux on the M8 is they are the same design but the 75 is a touch sharper wide open the 80 is the butter lens wide open. It's really a sweet lens.

It's all character this lens. Wide open it is a little soft but as you can see in your shot at F2 it really comes to life, sharp and softie. i like to call the Mandler lenses my two for one lenses. Wide open there magic and stopped down there razor blades. This is one lens hard to take OFF the camera
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely images and outstanding bokeh in that leaf shot...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David K - Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Guy - I remember your shots with the 180/2. It is special. I have the 180/2.8 and am very content with it (I have to be if I want to eat too! Price on the 180/2 is getting up there).

I am really excited about this 80 Lux. It is spectacular on the DMR and I am real curious to see how it performs on the R10 when it is released, especially if it is indeed full frame. I just took a trip two weeks back and carried the DMR with the 28/2.8, 35 Cron, & 60 Macro (I was going to take the 180 but decided to leave it home). I could be real happy carrying just the 28mm, 80 Lux, and 180/2.8 as a 3-lens walk-around kit or travel kit. Seems almost perfect. Throw the 35 Cron in the bag once in a while or drop the 28 and go with the 19, 35 Cron, 80 Lux and 180/2.8. Geez Guy, I am sounding like you now LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heck i was actually thinking of getting some R lenses back before the R10 hits next year. the 80 lux would be the first followed by the 180 and either F2 or 2.8 there both excellent.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Jamie Roberts

My dirty secret is that this is actually my favourite Leica lens to date Mandler (I think it's his) really hit this out of the park.

If you think it's wonky wide open try aiming at a person and shooting around 1.6; I don't think I've ever seen a better portrait lens (though I know Jack had some incredible MF special-purpose "soft-sharp" focusing chunk of glass that's worth the GNP of a few smaller states somewhere).

Here's a more stopped down 80R shot; f3.4; straight out of C1 (I would have posted something more "wide open" but I'm on my laptop working remotely, so if this looks like crap well, it does )

Attachment 71

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jamie, I remember this photo of yours very well. Perfect capture, just the right amount of detail delivered from this lens. The lighting and pose are superb also. Thanks for posting it again as more inspiration.

I just printed the image that I posted at the top of the page (the first one in this post) at 13 x 19 on Harman Gloss FB AL with the Epson 3800. Wow is all I can say. The imaging characteristics of this lens are fantastic. The 3-D quality in the print is amazing and there are so many layers from sharpness to buttery smooth. It really sings.

Jamie Roberts

Thanks for that! You know, the shot you're remembering was actually an M8 shot; I don't think I've posted this particular one (but they're all looking alike!)

Anyway, I'm glad you like the 80R. As I said, for people, and especially for women "of a certain age" as they say, it's the go-to peice of glass.

Try it wide open in not-too-contrasty backlight. The lack of artifacts and beautiful OOF rendering will amaze you.

This is the lens, actually, that got me to buy a DMR, that got me to buy the M8, and that finally got me a Noctilux, because when I first saw the Nocti results on the M8 I thought "now there's my 80R Lux" but the Nocti doesn't stop down in the same way as the 80

It's a real gem.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jamie,
    Fabulous portrait. I had been thinking of selling my copy of this lens because the 35-70 2.8 lives on my camera but these images have made me decide to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Yes, I am going to really love this lens. Problem is I love 'em all!
    I don't have the 35 Lux but have the 35/2 which I find sharp with much contrast and I am happy with it. In the future, it would be interesting to see which R 35 could match the look of the M 35 Cron IV or M 35 Pre Asph Lux. I very much liked the look of the images I saw from these two lenses from the 35mm post of Carsten's on LUF (I believe Jack posted some if I remember correctly).

But for now, another one with the 80mm, this one at f/2.

Attachment 65
    What fabulous colors and bokeh. I own the Zeiss Planar T* 1.2/85 version and thus never really got into the Leica 80 Lux.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Jamie Roberts

David, Son--yes, the 80 R lux is special; I'm thinking of even getting a spare (backup) copy.

My almost new 50 1.2L Canon almost exploded on the job on the weekend--the top of the lens and front element came off with the lens hood when I took it off (and no, I didn't do it the "wrong way")!

So I'd hate for anything to deprive me of that 80. I just love it. Here's another portrait to show why... completely different than the last one, at f1.6, where I love to shoot it...See what the 5d can do with the right glass?

Attachment 423

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few more with the R 80mm and the R9/DMR.

First one in Central Park yesterday at f/2.8

From Korea, wide open

This one I posted in the thread I started from the Korea trip but I will add it here too. This one at f/2

I love the way this lens renders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IMO, the 80 R is almost enough reason to justify purchasing a R9/DMR! (I know I could use one on my 5D with an adapter, but it just isn't the same.)
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Better start buying this R glass now because the moment Leica announces a new R10 (or whatever they will call it) the prices of these puppies is going to go through the roof.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Better start buying this R glass now because the moment Leica announces a new R10 (or whatever they will call it) the prices of these puppies is going to go through the roof.

Woody
    But only if the old mount works on the new camera...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

great examples illustrating the out of focus rendition and useful sharpness of this lens. ..I am off to Paris tomorrow and struggling with the decision between M8 21/28/50 combo or the DMR 19/80 combo...no will NOT pack both - cos the Alpa is already taking up that space! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought Paris was strictly rangefinder territory!

workingcamera

LOL… can’t imagine anyone would be caught dead with an SLR in Paris

Pete you’ll have to borrow my 75 Lux no way around it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you guys think an M8 on one shoulder a DMR on the other with the Alpa around the neck might be overkill? ??

workingcamera

Actually no… though I might need to readjust as I get older

But you still want the 75 Lux?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leaving tomorrow Craig - but thanks for your kind offer mate. I think that you will be ready for digi when the full frame R or M comes out - the 10 megapixel files kill the Canon stuff all jokes aside..so I know someone who has a 1dsmk11 and a bunch of L lenses for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    you guys think an M8 on one shoulder a DMR on the other with the Alpa around the neck might be overkill? ??
    Yes . LOL

i would go M8 and Alpa but i would make sure I had something over 50mm with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    But only if the old mount works on the new camera...
    Jack

Not even Leica would make such a marketing mistake. They might sell 10 bodies if you have to buy new autofocus lenses to make it work. Just MHO

woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks a lot Woody, I got so paralysed of fear that I couldn't speak myself
    just bought some R lenses, e.g. one of them a nice Elmarit R 2.8/19mm

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Jack

Not even Leica would make such a marketing mistake. They might sell 10 bodies if you have to buy new autofocus lenses to make it work. Just MHO

woody
    Yes, if they were bent on corporate suicide, that would be the move to make.

But let's not forget Canon and what they did, which turned out to be a stellar move on their part, no matter how ill conceived it appeared at the time.

The R10 with a new mount would have to wipe the floor with anything out there by a huge margin to attract well beyond this group of fuddy-duddies and their king's ransom in R glass ... me included.

Just give my old fuddy-duddie eyes in-viewfinder focus confirmation using the current mount, and I'm a happy camper. 35/1.4 & 80/1.4 @ f/1.4 with focus confirmation ... ahhhhhhh : -)

If there were a couple of wide to mid-range AF zooms and decent TTL flash control, I could toss off the Canon yoke forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica HAS to support the existing mount in some way or yes it will be corporate suicide IMHO. Honestly I think Rom is the answer to the R10. Those contacts can feed a lot of info between lens and body. They just need to find a way to make there AF zooms if there going to make them and new current lenses all work within that mount and my guess ROM is the key to the system

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really this R10 does not have to be that much different functional than the DMR.
    Intergrated system all in one body
    Full Frame
    22mpx
    CCD No AA filter
    16bit
    Fast Buffer
    3fps
    Some Af lenses
    Manual Lenses focus confirmation
    Great finder big and bright

After those basics maybe some small improvements like a 3 inch LCD and tethered support.

Now you bring a camera out like that and look out I am all over it like a cheap suit.

I already asked to test it and you know I will be the first kid on the block to own it because i am a really sick person that loves the challenge. I will never learn to be patient.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys got me all fired up, and I couldn't go shoot something 'cause I'm stuck at home.

So I bolted it on the DMR and fire off a few quick shots around the house ... the light sucked, but this lens actually helps improves what light you have ... just love how the DOF falls off.
    Last edited by fotografz; 13th April 2008 at 15:04.

workingcamera

Now that is true bokeh!

I love how this lens responds close up and wide open… I know its technically wrong, strictly speaking, but it just looks so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Old lens , Old design but the look never fades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I already asked to test it and you know I will be the first kid on the block to own it
    Yeah I'd love to test it too but I'll have to bust someone else's piggy bank to be an early adopter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Old lens , Old design but the look never fades.
    You know, it's the actual lens itself that's so confident feeling. Old time Rock 'N Roll lens with a kind of Pit Bull staunchness and silky focus. Frankly, I despise most lenses without an aperture ring.

The 80/1.4 along with the 35/1.4 are the main reasons I continued on with the R system. They have, and continue to be my most used focal lengths in any system. I've owned just about every 80 or 85 out there including the Contax f/1.2 & f/1.4 versions, Nikon f/1.4 and Canon f/1.2s ... and none has the character of this lens ... something is always lacking in comparison.

I actually would NOT like to see these two R lenses updated to more modern ASPH and APO versions, as I'm sure they would lose that unique character. I also honestly believe that Leica made an error in judgement by dropping the 75 Lux from the M system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Both the M 75 Lux and the R 80 are the same design from Mandler and date from 1980.

Jack also said the R 35 Lux was one of his favorites for the R system. I have the 35 Cron and love it for the size and weight but I will have to look at the 35 Lux. Also, I don't have a 50 and wonder how the 50 Lux compares to these two. Maybe an older E55 50 Lux would have a similar look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    You know, it's the actual lens itself that's so confident feeling. Old time Rock 'N Roll lens with a kind of Pit Bull staunchness and silky focus. Frankly, I despise most lenses without an aperture ring.

The 80/1.4 along with the 35/1.4 are the main reasons I continued on with the R system. They have, and continue to be my most used focal lengths in any system. I've owned just about every 80 or 85 out there including the Contax f/1.2 & f/1.4 versions, Nikon f/1.4 and Canon f/1.2s ... and none has the character of this lens ... something is always lacking in comparison.

I actually would NOT like to see these two R lenses updated to more modern ASPH and APO versions, as I'm sure they would lose that unique character. I also honestly believe that Leica made an error in judgement by dropping the 75 Lux from the M system.
    I agree Marc this is one thing that makes leica unique is lenses like this. The 75 lux should have not been discontinued IMHO. The 80 and 35 in the r are the look lenses. The new R 50mm Lux is the same as the M 50mm both really great lenses also.

Jamie Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    IMO, the 80 R is almost enough reason to justify purchasing a R9/DMR! (I know I could use one on my 5D with an adapter, but it just isn't the same.)
    True--it ain't as good as the DMR. But it's not bad either, LOL!!

By accident I shot a couple of duplicates with the R80 and a 5d and the M8 and the -- Noctilux And they look soooo close it's not even funny!

Here's another R80 / 5d shot though, in the meantime, at around 1.6-ish...

Attachment 1142

(lord knows I should be shooting these with the DMR, but the 5d is just handy at the time )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very lovely image Jamie.

Jamie Roberts

Thanks very much! I see you're doing great stuff with that 80R too (those pool player shots are really interesting).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts View Post
    True--it ain't as good as the DMR. But it's not bad either, LOL!!

By accident I shot a couple of duplicates with the R80 and a 5d and the M8 and the -- Noctilux And they look soooo close it's not even funny!

Here's another R80 / 5d shot though, in the meantime, at around 1.6-ish...

Attachment 1142

(lord knows I should be shooting these with the DMR, but the 5d is just handy at the time )
    Jamie: You really put the Leica 80 R into great applications. I used to do wedding myself and seeing the image of the bride like this inside her home is special. Besides the choice of lens and the F stop, the light and composition made the photo. This is an example where knowing the lens character and stopping down a tad to get enough resolving power and yet retain lovely bokeh. At F1.6 there should be plenty of ambient light in the background.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Jamie Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    Jamie: You really put the Leica 80 R into great applications. I used to do wedding myself and seeing the image of the bride like this inside her home is special. Besides the choice of lens and the F stop, the light and composition made the photo. This is an example where knowing the lens character and stopping down a tad to get enough resolving power and yet retain lovely bokeh. At F1.6 there should be plenty of ambient light in the background.

Thanks for the kind words! And yeah, the brides never "see" in the room what I see in the room with that lens And close up, it honestly just needs that touch of stopping down as you put it to still be flattering (no re-touching needed, really) but sharp too.

Older women, especially, love this lens, and you can see why!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts View Post
    Older women, especially, love this lens, and you can see why!
    Is it because it is delightfully sharp?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Is it because it is delightfully sharp?
    Only the eyes Maggie ... indicating the "sharp mind" of the more mature woman : -)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Heheeheheh!

I may be old, but sadly, I never seemed to mature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maggie and Marc both of you have great sense of humor. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jamie,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed your work. I have been asked by a friend to take pics of at her daughter. I would like to get the 80 lux for the 5D. Did you have any problems fitting this lens to the 5D? Is there a version I should look for or avoid? I will be buying used for this lens. Thanks.