The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Acquisition - 80/1.4

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What better way to kick off the new forum than with a new lens purchase. I'm sure our hosts would agree! I picked up a Summilux-R 80mm 1.4 on eBay Sunday and it was delivered today. I have been wanting to try this lens for some time now. It's a little heavy but feels nicely balanced on the R9/DMR.

Shot with the R9/DMR at f/5.6. I think the OOF area looks very good.

View attachment 46

Wide open it is a little wonky-blurry with halos and aberrations (glow :) ) but gets sharp quickly. The first image below is at 1.4, the second at 2.8.

View attachment 47
View attachment 48

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I *LOVE* the way the 80R Lux paints, especially wide open! It's got that sharp-smooth thing going on wide open, gets really sharp stopped down a few, yet maintains that beautiful, creamy-smooth bokeh. It and the 35 Lux were my two favorite alternative pieces of glass on my Canon DSLRs... Congrats on the new lens!

cmb_

Yes, I am going to really love this lens. Problem is I love 'em all!
I don't have the 35 Lux but have the 35/2 which I find sharp with much contrast and I am happy with it. In the future, it would be interesting to see which R 35 could match the look of the M 35 Cron IV or M 35 Pre Asph Lux. I very much liked the look of the images I saw from these two lenses from the 35mm post of Carsten's on LUF (I believe Jack posted some if I remember correctly).

But for now, another one with the 80mm, this one at f/2.

View attachment 65

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
When I had the DMR Charlie this was one of my favorite lenses along with the 180 F2 cron. They threw the mold away when they made this 80 lux. Reason i love the 75 lux on the M8 is they are the same design but the 75 is a touch sharper wide open the 80 is the butter lens wide open. It's really a sweet lens.

It's all character this lens. Wide open it is a little soft but as you can see in your shot at F2 it really comes to life, sharp and softie. i like to call the Mandler lenses my two for one lenses. Wide open there magic and stopped down there razor blades. This is one lens hard to take OFF the camera

cmb_

David K - Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Guy - I remember your shots with the 180/2. It is special. I have the 180/2.8 and am very content with it (I have to be if I want to eat too! Price on the 180/2 is getting up there).

I am really excited about this 80 Lux. It is spectacular on the DMR and I am real curious to see how it performs on the R10 when it is released, especially if it is indeed full frame. I just took a trip two weeks back and carried the DMR with the 28/2.8, 35 Cron, & 60 Macro (I was going to take the 180 but decided to leave it home). I could be real happy carrying just the 28mm, 80 Lux, and 180/2.8 as a 3-lens walk-around kit or travel kit. Seems almost perfect. Throw the 35 Cron in the bag once in a while or drop the 28 and go with the 19, 35 Cron, 80 Lux and 180/2.8. Geez Guy, I am sounding like you now LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Heck i was actually thinking of getting some R lenses back before the R10 hits next year. the 80 lux would be the first followed by the 180 and either F2 or 2.8 there both excellent.

J

Jamie Roberts

My dirty secret is that this is actually my favourite Leica lens to date :) Mandler (I think it's his) really hit this out of the park.

If you think it's wonky wide open try aiming at a person and shooting around 1.6; I don't think I've ever seen a better portrait lens (though I know Jack had some incredible MF special-purpose "soft-sharp" focusing chunk of glass that's worth the GNP of a few smaller states somewhere).

Here's a more stopped down 80R shot; f3.4; straight out of C1 (I would have posted something more "wide open" but I'm on my laptop working remotely, so if this looks like crap well, it does ;))

View attachment 71

cmb_

Jamie, I remember this photo of yours very well. Perfect capture, just the right amount of detail delivered from this lens. The lighting and pose are superb also. Thanks for posting it again as more inspiration.

I just printed the image that I posted at the top of the page (the first one in this post) at 13 x 19 on Harman Gloss FB AL with the Epson 3800. Wow is all I can say. The imaging characteristics of this lens are fantastic. The 3-D quality in the print is amazing and there are so many layers from sharpness to buttery smooth. It really sings.

J

Jamie Roberts

Thanks for that! You know, the shot you're remembering was actually an M8 shot; I don't think I've posted this particular one (but they're all looking alike!)

Anyway, I'm glad you like the 80R. As I said, for people, and especially for women "of a certain age" as they say, it's the go-to peice of glass.

Try it wide open in not-too-contrasty backlight. The lack of artifacts and beautiful OOF rendering will amaze you.

This is the lens, actually, that got me to buy a DMR, that got me to buy the M8, and that finally got me a Noctilux, because when I first saw the Nocti results on the M8 I thought "now there's my 80R Lux" but the Nocti doesn't stop down in the same way as the 80 :)

It's a real gem.

David K

Workshop Member
Jamie,
Fabulous portrait. I had been thinking of selling my copy of this lens because the 35-70 2.8 lives on my camera but these images have made me decide to keep it.

PSon

Yes, I am going to really love this lens. Problem is I love 'em all!
I don't have the 35 Lux but have the 35/2 which I find sharp with much contrast and I am happy with it. In the future, it would be interesting to see which R 35 could match the look of the M 35 Cron IV or M 35 Pre Asph Lux. I very much liked the look of the images I saw from these two lenses from the 35mm post of Carsten's on LUF (I believe Jack posted some if I remember correctly).

But for now, another one with the 80mm, this one at f/2.

View attachment 65
What fabulous colors and bokeh. I own the Zeiss Planar T* 1.2/85 version and thus never really got into the Leica 80 Lux.

J

Jamie Roberts

David, Son--yes, the 80 R lux is special; I'm thinking of even getting a spare (backup) copy.

My almost new 50 1.2L Canon almost exploded on the job on the weekend--the top of the lens and front element came off with the lens hood when I took it off (and no, I didn't do it the "wrong way")!

So I'd hate for anything to deprive me of that 80. I just love it. Here's another portrait to show why... completely different than the last one, at f1.6, where I love to shoot it...See what the 5d can do with the right glass? :)

View attachment 423

cmb_

A few more with the R 80mm and the R9/DMR.

First one in Central Park yesterday at f/2.8

From Korea, wide open

This one I posted in the thread I started from the Korea trip but I will add it here too. This one at f/2

I love the way this lens renders.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMO, the 80 R is almost enough reason to justify purchasing a R9/DMR! (I know I could use one on my 5D with an adapter, but it just isn't the same.)

woodyspedden

Better start buying this R glass now because the moment Leica announces a new R10 (or whatever they will call it) the prices of these puppies is going to go through the roof.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Better start buying this R glass now because the moment Leica announces a new R10 (or whatever they will call it) the prices of these puppies is going to go through the roof.

Woody
But only if the old mount works on the new camera...

PeterA

great examples illustrating the out of focus rendition and useful sharpness of this lens. ..I am off to Paris tomorrow and struggling with the decision between M8 21/28/50 combo or the DMR 19/80 combo...no will NOT pack both - cos the Alpa is already taking up that space! LOL

W

workingcamera

LOL… can’t imagine anyone would be caught dead with an SLR in Paris

Pete you’ll have to borrow my 75 Lux no way around it