The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

D&A

I have no issue that it is clipped/blown, but the harshness of the tonal transitions at the boundaries is what concerns

Thanks
Mike
The boundaries of certain tonal transitions has also been a concern of mine and I've seen it manifest itself in a number a ways in certain images. On occasion it looks like it does in the image Mike seleted, other times almost appears as though that part of the image is a cutout, when the blown area is against a very dark deep rich black. There will always be tradeoffs and anomolies when dealing with digital and for the most part, I have been extremely impressed at most image aspects of this (the monochrom) camera.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Overall, the exposure looks very nice. The clipped highlight is typical of what I have been seeing. I have no issue that it is clipped/blown, but the harshness of the tonal transitions at the boundaries is what concerns me.

Can you elaborate on how this image was metered?
Did you consider the light when metering?

Thanks
Mike
It's specular reflection from a shinny lighting fixture. The correct approach would have been to change the angle of the lamp slightly to eliminate the reflection.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It's specular reflection from a shinny lighting fixture. The correct approach would have been to change the angle of the lamp slightly to eliminate the reflection.
In a posed photo maybe so...but really?

Life is full of compromises .... very compelling photo in spite of the 1% specular reflection...lets get a grip on reality here....

I personally would not change a thing...has anyone here looked at the old HCB or Saul Leiter photos? full of little vexing things which mirror our personal existence.

My opinion....nice photo ...never saw the "clipped highlight"...guess I was too busy thinking about the context.

Bob

CharlesK

Woody, very nice shots!
Riclib, love the setting of your low light shot:D
Dierk, nice series and blog!!

Shots from yesterday near Natural Bridge with M-M, 24 Lux and LR4:)

Paratom

Did you guys experiment with filter on the MM?
light yellow vs yellow vs dark yellow?
yellow-orange vs light red?
I think I would want either light yellow and yellow-orange or yellow and light-red.
I am afraid normal red to be to extreme for my taste.
Thanks for any insights, ´Tom

CharlesK

Hi Tom,
I am still waiting for my filters:) My favourites with B&W film, was the red and orange, as it gave interesting contrast with the clouds in landscapes/seascapes. If it is too extreme, with the raw file it can be toned down in PP, but at least the information has been captured.
Regards,
Charles

skimmel

Woody, very nice shots!
Riclib, love the setting of your low light shot:D
Dierk, nice series and blog!!

Shots from yesterday near Natural Bridge with M-M, 24 Lux and LR4:)
These are lovely, I especially like the toning. How did you accomplish this?

Paratom

Hi Tom,
I am still waiting for my filters:) My favourites with B&W film, was the red and orange, as it gave interesting contrast with the clouds in landscapes/seascapes. If it is too extreme, with the raw file it can be toned down in PP, but at least the information has been captured.
Regards,
Charles
I have only tried yellow so far and think got landscape a little sky "darkening"/contrast couldnt hurt.
On the other side I dont want to change filters all the time and yellow might work better if people are in the image/street images.
I have ordered also a "yellow-orange", see how that works and then decide if I (probably) might add a light red filter as well.
I plan to work on my b&w knowledge "step-by step" and keep it simple.
Regards, Tom

algrove

Did you guys experiment with filter on the MM?
light yellow vs yellow vs dark yellow?
yellow-orange vs light red?
I think I would want either light yellow and yellow-orange or yellow and light-red.
I am afraid normal red to be to extreme for my taste.
Thanks for any insights, ´Tom
I used an orange yellow filter on the tree shot above. I am sure it got overlooked (as could have happened to many others) due to dancer shot and I cannot blame any of you. It (the dancer) is a great shot with interesting subject to say the least.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I used an orange yellow filter on the tree shot above. I am sure it got overlooked (as could have happened to many others) due to dancer shot and I cannot blame any of you. It (the dancer) is a great shot with interesting subject to say the least.
And I thought you were trying to spur our interest by laying the tree down ala "the dancer shot!"

I prefer the tree, by the way....

Bob

algrove

In the land of Leica a la Bavaria. Yes, the bier was good too.

View attachment 63412

ISO 6400 35/1.4 FLE @1.4 1/250

P.S. Sorry for the small size. By the way this is OOC Jpeg without any PP so far, but did use B+W 022 Yellow filter.

Last edited:

algrove

One more comment--

If I were to PP this image the first thing I would do would be to crop the top out, but remember this is OOC jpeg without touching it,i.e., no in camera adjustments.

Last edited:

StephenPatterson

If I were to PP this image the first thing I would do would be to crop the top out, but remember this is OOC jpeg without touching it,i.e., no in camera adjustments.
Great shot Lou, but the image size is so small here it's really difficult to see any details. Try resizing your jpegs to have a long edge around 1000 pixels and they will show up much better. Love the composition, and agree about the crop, although it doesn't have to happen in post!

algrove

Thanks Stephen-

When I double click the image preview comes up and then I hit tools/resize (since it is huge in size) and put the longest dimension to 1200 pixels as this site allows. So as not to destroy the original I then "duplicate" the image and hit plus to increase the size to the maximum size of the image box, then save it with a new name.

Here this gives me the size you see but on the LUF it gives me a much bigger size. I must be doing something wrong. Iam trying not to use LR3 which is on this computer as I will get a 13" something with like 16GB which should then last me longer than this one.