The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

xdayv

All my Nikons are in the drybox lately. The MM is taking over and it seems to keep on going and going... I hope it's for the better. :D

V

Vivek

(With advanced apologies if this isn't appropriate)

Anyone shooting with simple yesteryears lenses from Leica? Elmars and Hektors and such?

TIA!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
(With advanced apologies if this isn't appropriate)

Anyone shooting with simple yesteryears lenses from Leica? Elmars and Hektors and such?

TIA!
I've praised elsewhere the DR Summicron; others here have had similar experience with the Rigid Summicron which is the same lens cell. The classic Leica look from the 50s and 60s - the surprise is that it stands up to the rigors of MM resolution.

V

Vivek

Woody, Thanks! :)

My query was more towards pictorial aspects and nothing to do with the resolution of the sensor, given the nature of the output (if that makes any sense).

V

Vivek

Thanks but none of those involve any simple lenses at all. Summicrons already are complex Gauss or modified Gauss (so are the Japanese equivalents).

The Elmars and Hektors (there are exceptions to the Hektors) are much simpler 4 element lenses and there is even a triplet Elmar (90/4).

ashwinrao1

Sorry, I guess I didn't understand the question. I have seem some nice work done wiht the Summar lens, but have no experience with Elmars or Hektors on this body. RFF may be a good place to check, as there's an active MM photo thread there. Good luck, Vivek.

V

Vivek

Well, the wheels are already in motion in that my name is on a dealer's list for the MM. :)

I hope, soon, I can play with one and check it out for myself, Ashwin.

erudolph

Fun + Diversity of Style

The MM has made me enjoy going out at twilight. say the hour before and hour after sunset. Last night I had to run to Calumet because a memory card failed (first time ever for me, having only shot digital for two years). Actually I made two trips because the first time they put a CF instead of an SD card in the bag. Driving home from the second visit, I grabbed this shot at ISO 5000 through the windshield. 50mm Cron-M

Okay, doesn't do justice to that street, but poking around in the frame I found a crop spooky enough to be a mezzotint in a scary kid's book.

ashwinrao1

Hi All, it's been a while since I posted. A pic from this evening, spending dinner wiht my friend Belinda from my training days:

MM and 35 mm f/1.4 asph

m_driscoll

Still don't have the MM back from NJ. Here's a few at the Pike Place Market from the end of September.

MM; 50mm f/1.4; 1/500s; ISO 320

MM; 50mm f/1.4; 1/500s; ISO 320

MM; 75mm f/2.5; 1/500s; -1/3 EV; ISO 320

Cheers, Matt