The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

Shashin

Has anyone attempted to do tri-color photography with MM just for fun? It would be great to see what a color composite would look like.

Lloyd

I wondered how it would behave with an older, uncoated lens. One straight out of the camera, with the Rigid 50 Summicron.

Lloyd

It's a great one, Matt. I like it better than the current (less the new ASPH) version. Mine is not "tabbed", which makes it a bit slower to focus, but only very slightly so.

CharlesK

Tom, congrats on the new M-M :D
Lloyd, beautiful tones and sharpness! Great lens. I do feel that there is magic in a lot of the older lenses. This may well be the answer to some of the abrupt transition with burnt out highlights:)

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm toying with the idea of the MM, but it also brings up the question of why not just use b/w film. any idea of how the two would compare. say an M7 and tri-x vs the MM?

would the M7 be the suitable M to use?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
MM + DR sumicorn + IR filter. Not very practical - the MM clearly has excellent IR filtering - shooting in IR requires roughly 10 stops of additional exposure.

I'm finding that it's ok to let highlights blow if the subject warrants it.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
This is where I get in Lightroom after experimenting with adjustments to look film-like (I've shot and scanned a few rolls of T-Max 100 and Delta 100 to provide a current film benchmark).

Paratom

i'm toying with the idea of the MM, but it also brings up the question of why not just use b/w film. any idea of how the two would compare. say an M7 and tri-x vs the MM?

I would think that film looks different mainly due to grain and probably a softer rolloff in the highlights.
I also doubt that film would have comparable resoltion vs the MM at least if you shoot at higher ISO.

Personally i like the look of film a lot, but I like the convenience of shooting digital nd being able to do the whole workflow from taking the image to print at home my own.

The M7 would be the right camera if you want auto exposure. Otherwise M6 (good value) or MP (beautiful but expensive)

algrove

This is where I get in Lightroom after experimenting with adjustments to look film-like (I've shot and scanned a few rolls of T-Max 100 and Delta 100 to provide a current film benchmark).

Woody-Can you give us an idea of the sliders you used for the FAO Swartz shot and how much on the sliders or sent a screen shot of the LR page? Thanks.

chrism

I do both - B&W film in a variety of 35mm (M7, MP, M5 and half a dozen SLRs) and MF cameras and the Monochrom. The Monochrom is a little dangerous in that it gives MF detail with none of the time/inconvenience penalty of developing and scanning film. But since it doesn't smell of fixer (I am a hypo-addict!) there's no danger of me not using the film cameras. At the end of it all, you must do what you enjoy. Whenever I was asked if I wanted some chocolate roulade or some flan I always asked if I could have a little of each. Nothing changes!

Roulade (with added fixer):

Leica MP, Summilux 50, Tri-X at 1250, Diafine, Nikon 9000ED scan.

Flan:

Leica M Monochrom, Summilux 75

Chris

Hausen

I have decided to bite the bullet and I am on the list at my local Leica shop. A couple of my film cameras will have to go to appease my wife but looking at the Dancer shot I think I am making the right decision. Love shooting low light and MM seems to handle it exceptionally well.

algrove

I have decided to bite the bullet and I am on the list at my local Leica shop. A couple of my film cameras will have to go to appease my wife but looking at the Dancer shot I think I am making the right decision. Love shooting low light and MM seems to handle it exceptionally well.
I laughed like hell when I read your post. The MM seems to handles low light curves quite well too.