The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Enjoying the photos here, and have been very happy with the prints I made from my rental Monochrom.

I recently posted my thoughts about the Monochrom on YouTube:

Leica Monochrome Review Wrap Up - YouTube
Looking at Leica Monochrom Files in Lightroom - YouTube
Thanks for your review; enjoyed it. I have to disagree on one point though: The Monochrom does not remove a choice, it adds the option of high-quality B&W.
That it does not do color is irrelevant, I have my M9 for that.
As an ardent advocate of visualisation I do not like deciding for color or B&W from a computer screen. The point is to see your subject in B&W and decide whether it needs color or not before you take the shot. The MM forces you to do just that.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
These are nice to see...

I have a Visof III coming from CameraWest...should arrive tomorrow.

Opens up a lot of longer lens and macro possibilities.

Hope to see more!

Bob

Paratom

Son,
I like these images a lot!!!
They motivate me to do more with the MM.
Also like the contrasty style. those look very film like.
Thanks!
Tom

jonoslack

Thanks for your review; enjoyed it. I have to disagree on one point though: The Monochrom does not remove a choice, it adds the option of high-quality B&W.
That it does not do color is irrelevant, I have my M9 for that.
As an ardent advocate of visualisation I do not like deciding for color or B&W from a computer screen. The point is to see your subject in B&W and decide whether it needs color or not before you take the shot. The MM forces you to do just that.
Hi Jaap
Happy New Year
Whilst I completely agree with your visualisation concept . . . it is exactly why I don't have an MM (even after 6 months of very valueable passion).

Like you, I want to decide whether I want B&W when I shoot (as you say, not on a computer screen). But I found that the time needed to change cameras for different shots was more of an issue than the reduced quality of B&W from an M9.

If I shot like (for instance) Thorsten, where everything was going to be B&W anyway, then the MM would be a no-brainer, but if you want some shots in colour, then it's a difficult decision to make.

What's even more of an issue is that I like to shoot with two bodies (one wide, one not) - if you need three bodies (one MM) then (for me) the lens was always on the wrong camera - it just muddied the water.

The new M, which allows you to set B&W for the review (and EVF) even when you're only shooting RAW sounds like the perfect answer to me (as long, of course, that the B&W conversions are okay).

All the best

jonoslack

With respect, Jono, i think you missed a golden opportunity.
Hi Vivek
Maybe you're right - and I can always change my mind :)
(so no opportunity missed - the camera went back - I had to decide whether to buy one)
The real deal will be to look in a year and see if the MM snaps were the winners - and then revisit the decision.

V

Vivek

Please do change your mind and get it for me. :)

I am yet to hear back from the boutique shop..

PeterA

Bob,
Yes
here is the 150mm F2.8 and 300mm F2.0 on MM
Son

Hey Son - long time no see - hope all is well with you and yours as usual interesting and lateral use of system combinations...:thumbup:

I have found the MM to be a bit of a challenge having to get back to 'thinking' like I am shooting B&W film - without the insurance policy of knowing how the deep shadows or the highlights will work across the ISO spectrum.

All in all the challenge has excited me and I am loving using it for candid portraits. Have spent a lot of time down at my farm over the holidays so street has not been on the cards.

I must admit a naughty disposition using the MM in what is now high contrast daylight conditions in the Australian summer - I am enjoying letting the highlights blow out in favour of fat blacks.:)

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Happy New Year to you too, Jono.
I do not feel the lens problem like you do - often I have the same focal length on both cameras ( Reminder to self - must get rid of that habit).I lengthened the straps so I can wear and use them diagonally, MM left, M9 right. Different set of lenses for both cameras. Canon 35 + 50 for Monochrom and Summilux 50 + Super Elmar 18 for the M9. Summilux 24 and Elmarit M 90 in the bag.Saves a lot of fiddling and works for me, although I find that I grab the Monochrom first 85% of the time. I am still thankful I got a chance to try your MM in Berlin:):), although that set me back 6900 Euro....
Hi Jaap
Happy New Year
Whilst I completely agree with your visualisation concept . . . it is exactly why I don't have an MM (even after 6 months of very valueable passion).

Like you, I want to decide whether I want B&W when I shoot (as you say, not on a computer screen). But I found that the time needed to change cameras for different shots was more of an issue than the reduced quality of B&W from an M9.

If I shot like (for instance) Thorsten, where everything was going to be B&W anyway, then the MM would be a no-brainer, but if you want some shots in colour, then it's a difficult decision to make.

What's even more of an issue is that I like to shoot with two bodies (one wide, one not) - if you need three bodies (one MM) then (for me) the lens was always on the wrong camera - it just muddied the water.

The new M, which allows you to set B&W for the review (and EVF) even when you're only shooting RAW sounds like the perfect answer to me (as long, of course, that the B&W conversions are okay).

All the best

Last edited: