The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

D&A

One of the striking things about your images Vivek, is capturing the old mixing with the new in terms of the "changing times" and transitions taking place in India. So much apparently hasn't changed in decades while in other aspects, modernism in technology and the way of life is rapidly moving into the 21st century. It's a study in contrasts illustrated in many different ways and it's often just as powerful that it was captured in B&W as it would have been to capture in color...maybe more so in some circumstances. A facinanting journey across the city! Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

Thank you, Dave. :)

The old and new mishmash persists and probably will forever, in India.

A young lady in her traditional garb, complete with an old fashioned purse made of cloth. Most likely she did not go to school not for lack of money or facilities but because she became of age and is a girl.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Just a few feet away, a couple of average middle class college girls.

V

Vivek

There still is the same old compassion for the old and vulnerable. An old lady from the neighborhood (suburban Mumbai). She got some help from the roadside vendors.

D&A

more 18mm SEM

There is a look and smoothness, clarity and tonality to this image that just sucks me in :). It does so without appearing to be excessively sharp as so many similar digital images might appear photographing the same scene. Reminds me maybe more of of B&W imagery from medium format I'm used to seeing with regards to these properties. Love the image for it's look and presentation of simplicity. very very nice!

Dave (D&A)

rondeb

I must post more often. Mine is going to NJ tomorrow for a dead pixel or 2, but damn if I don't love this camera more than any other.

V

Vivek

A lot of young men have taken to high protein diet and body building and such, especially in Mumbai. It is going to require a visit and a separate project of its own one of these days.

Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2, Yellow filter

V

Vivek

"Gateway of India", Mumbai. King George V of England came and was declared the Emperor of India ~150 years ago.

I wish I had switched to a wider lens.

It has always been a big landmark in Mumbai but after the recent terrorists massacre of hundreds in this area, has become even more of a place to visit for many.

V

Vivek

This place is packed with tourists (local and foreign) with everyone wanting a photo.

Some weary of being photographed by their SOs.

It was a delight to see school children making a visit as well.

The Taj Hotels which were the scene of most of the terrorist massacres are in the background

V

Vivek

A little boutique shop next to one of the Taj hotels in Mumbai. The only terrorist who was captured alive jumped out of a balcony (window reflection) of the hotel.