The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

D&A

For someone who never experienced BW film, I was concerned that after the MM comes out, I would get sick of looking at all the BW images. But I'm happy that hasn't happen yet :) The subtleties of each photographers' contrasts, tones, and POV is never boring. In fact, I find myself converting more of my own images to BW, much to the dismay of my significant other :p
Just like using B&W film and doing your own processing & printing, selection of how the final image will look from the MM, will depend greatly on the choices the photographer makes from their exposure preferences to the myriad of post processing selections, both in the RAW converter/post processing program of their choice as well as Nik Silver EFX.

As was shown in many of the early files Jono kindly provided here on GETdpi for members to play with and adjust, personal preference and vision I believe plays a more important role in B&W images than color.

Dave (D&A)

m_driscoll

Here's a few more.

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/120s; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 1600

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 640

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 640

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 500

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

David/Ashwin/Dave: I think you guys are right on. In some ways, the constraints and commonality of the B & W format make the differences in each photographer's intent and input more striking. The camera's ISO and resolution capabilities expand the creative possibilities, but always within the, somewhat linear, structure and limits of B & W. I think that's a plus.

Cheers, Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Holy crap - this thread is going to be SERIOUSLY bad for my wallet. I have total monochrom lust! Fabulous imagery here that is making me reassess my camera choices. I was seriously considering getting a FPS Alpa but I'm being dragged back into my love of Leica M again. (Confession - I have complete and utter seller's remorse from selling all of my M digital gear and lenses :( )

Damn, damn, damn ... :eek:

jonoslack

Jono - that's one insanely cool dog. I love this image! :thumbup:

(it also makes me homesick for english pubs btw)
Hi Graham
Caspar says thank you - sometimes he feels unappreciated (especially by landlords when he jumps neatly onto bar stools!).
Actually, I'd have had him the other way around, with the bar taps and bottles in the background, but he seems to resent being a photographer's model!

It seems that there are many rules in life, but very few are universal . . . . one of these is that you will always regret selling Leica kit!

jonoslack

Here is an oddity.
I bought a cheap Leica M to R adapter from ebay for a laugh.
Here is a shot taken with the MMonochrom with the Leica 12-35 zoom - interestingly a lens which doesn't perform well on either the NEX, or µ43, with soggy corners. I wasn't really expecting much. Focusing has to be using the measurements on the lens, but at least that's easy with a wide angle.

anyway - not a magical picture I'm afraid, but it's certainly sharp!

Leica MM with Leica R 21-35

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
This is going to be a little bit irrational. The MM has been my constant companion for the last month. 24/7. I've got a daily photo blog to feed, for better or for worse.

As an object the MM is my favorite camera ever. And I've owned a lot of cameras (a number of them Leicas but also goodies like a Rollei 2.8F, a Hasselblad SWC, a Contax G2, and Ebony 4x5 . . . I could go on). For some reason the MM has made it easier to sort through my lenses and understand what works and what their limitations are. I think and shoot more manually with it. (In the viewfinder the red arrow on the left is your friend in high contrast situations, the one on the right is your friend in low contrast situations.) I'm making fewer technical mistakes.

It has provoked my to sell most of my non-Leica gear. I'm now questioning whether I need MF.

Jono's advice on never selling Leica gear is excellent.

RF_Licks

Howdy folks! I think I will enjoy this thread. :)

Have to thank Jono for sharing those raw files a few months back. A very enjoyable camera to use, although it still has all the quirks and annoyances of the M9.

Joe

m_driscoll

My photo shoot of a 'photo shoot' at the Pike Place Market, the other day.

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 1000

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/90s; ISO 500

Cheers, Matt

seakayaker

Joe & Ashwin, congratulations on picking up the MM!

Always enjoy the photographs that both of you post!

. . . . . do hope you enjoy your time in Charlotte, Go Hawks!

D&A

Hi Ashwin,

have enjoyed your past images with the MM and good to see you're posting more. I wish it was possible in that wider shot of the swimmer and pool (from above), was actually much wider where one can see a circular pool completely surrounded by the deck chairs. That would have been a very cool shot assuming you could get up high enough (or go wide enough) for such a shot and they the chairs even surrounded the pool. As it is (and would be), almost reminds me of an iconic shot from the 50's!

One other question Ashwin...in the image with the two gentlemen (in Charlotte), the bokeh of the trees look like it might have come from a vintage lens. What lens was used to take the shott? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)