The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

jonoslack

So I'm exactly one month into my MM. I'm finding that it's has a subtly steep learning curve, but it's very rewarding to make the effort. The tonality is lovely, but almost always takes some manipulation in post. I find myself using local adjustments a lot - just like in the darkroom. I see in black and white better than in color - it's simplifying for me to start there.

For me the MM and four lenses (18, 24, 35 and 50) is an ideal travel kit. I'm using the 18mm super elmar in preference to the WATE at this point.
You're making this very difficult for me Woody - I've had an MM for 5 months . . . (lucky me) but now it's due to go back, and I'm having quite a lot of anguish about it - these shots definitely don't help!

V

Vivek

Jono, Can't you talk them in to letting you keep it for a few pounds?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
You're making this very difficult for me Woody - I've had an MM for 5 months . . . (lucky me) but now it's due to go back, and I'm having quite a lot of anguish about it - these shots definitely don't help!
Jono - I really feel for you having to return it.

jonoslack

Jono, Can't you talk them in to letting you keep it for a few pounds?
Wouldn't it be nice!
thank you for the suggestion, I'll give it a try (but I'm not holding my breath!)

Woody - thanks for the concern . . . but I've the right to buy one, just like everyone else!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
More. I had a rotten day in front of a computer doing the administrative part of my day job.. At about 4:00 PM I fled to take advantage of the perfect light by taking the Staten Island ferry. My kit was the MM, 50mm DR summicron (and 040 filter), 35mm Lux Asph (020 filter) and 24mm lux (ditto).

I cleaned my sensor since the last series which has eliminated the burden of spotting in post.

Two frames (50mm) stitched:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
BTW one of the things that I've learned is that it really is ok to let specular highlights blow out if that's what makes sense in terms of the overall exposure and the mood of the picture. The transitions to fully blown out are fine.

m_driscoll

People, flowers and vegetables at the Pike Place Market.

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; -2/3 EV; ISO 500

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/90s; -2/3 EV; ISO 400

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 800

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/500s; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/90s; ISO 1000

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/250s; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/250s; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/500s; ISO 320

Cheers, Matt

V

Vivek

The second one, Matt. :thumbup:

Intersting to note that you play around with the exposure comp quite a bit. Which metering mode(s) do you use?

Hosermage

For someone who never experienced BW film, I was concerned that after the MM comes out, I would get sick of looking at all the BW images. But I'm happy that hasn't happen yet :) The subtleties of each photographers' contrasts, tones, and POV is never boring. In fact, I find myself converting more of my own images to BW, much to the dismay of my significant other :p

ashwinrao1

Lovely capture, Woody and Matt....

David, I just got my MM. I too was worried about not being able to "see" in color while in NYC...found the focus on composition, light and dark to be liberating...almost like shooting film, without the limitations of 36 exposures...processing is different after the fact, but the experience is enjoyable