The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

DavidE

These two put it all together for me. They benefit from the broader dynamic range and higher base ISO. Both were shot at 320 ISO.

V

Vivek

I was also concerned about how I would be able to process MM images for contrasty shadows, as I occasionally would hollow out the middle grays. Seems that won't be an issue either. I was able to boost the extremes without sacrificing the mid-tones.
You demonstrate that well with your pictures!

Awesome, David! :thumbs:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I was also concerned about how I would be able to process MM images for contrasty shadows, as I occasionally would hollow out the middle grays. Seems that won't be an issue either. I was able to boost the extremes without sacrificing the mid-tones.
After reading Sean Reid's review I upgraded my monitor in order to discern those middle grays....

Nice picture and good demonstration of the range.

Bob

xdayv

Obviously this is my favorite thread, thanks for sharing your pics!

Here are some taken yesterday...

with Hoya R72 filter:

V

Vivek

That is quite different and the "grain" from the MM files are just wonderful. :)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody

Talk about old lens glow! This one, and the shot you posted with the white lettering on the sign almost radiate!

Great stuff
Woody
Great to have two Woodys active here. I've shot this Church many times with varieties of equipment. Not surprisingly the "glow" tends to obscure the highlight details making the image more graphic. At least part of the glow comes from the slight haze on this lens - so there's more glow than the designers would have anticipated. If I could find a perfect copy of this lens I would buy it in a flash (especially now that I've invested in the Orion adapter).

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Great to have two Woodys active here. I've shot this Church many times with varieties of equipment. Not surprisingly the "glow" tends to obscure the highlight details making the image more graphic. At least part of the glow comes from the slight haze on this lens - so there's more glow than the designers would have anticipated. If I could find a perfect copy of this lens I would buy it in a flash (especially now that I've invested in the Orion adapter).
Woody

I'll be much more active when I get my new MM. Scheduled for any day now!

Woody

V

Vivek

Dave, Your posts are turning out to be an epic in making! All the power to you! :thumbs:

Dave: Absolutely stunning series of pictures you are sharing here almost day by day, truly admirable.
Particularly like the last one here, wonderfully captured atmosphere and tension. As in general your pictures of (playing) children are characterized by exceptional empathy.

ashwinrao1

Echoing what everyone else has said, great work, Dave. You have mastered the MM and you have defined your look very well. That last shot rocks!!!

D&A

Echoing what everyone else has said, great work, Dave. You have mastered the MM and you have defined your look very well. That last shot rocks!!!
+1! Dave, all the accolades you've received are richly deserved and I'd certainly like to add my own. It's a combination of your photography skills and photographic eye combined with your mastering of B&W imagery with the Lecia MM thats so effective. It's a synergy thats truly enhances the imact of your images. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)