The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

airfrogusmc

Nice Vivek!

Frankly, I haven't seen a collective explosion of meaningful images like this thread since tracking M film stuff way back in the "olden days when I was alive" ... as a little kid once said to a friend of mine : -)

Nice stuff everyone, just terrific. :thumbs:

Can't wait until my new knee is healed better and I can get out there and try living up to what you folks are producing with this little camera. Nothing short of inspiring.

-Marc
Hope you're back out shooting and good as new very, very soon...

V

Vivek

Nice Vivek!

Frankly, I haven't seen a collective explosion of meaningful images like this thread since tracking M film stuff way back in the "olden days when I was alive" ... as a little kid once said to a friend of mine : -)

Nice stuff everyone, just terrific. :thumbs:

Can't wait until my new knee is healed better and I can get out there and try living up to what you folks are producing with this little camera. Nothing short of inspiring.

-Marc
Thank you, Marc! :)

Wishing you all the best with the recovery process!

V

Vivek

A sunrise in Mumbai (suburb) from the hotel roof top. The haze is ever present although the city appears to be a lot cleaner (air pollution) than it was 15 years ago.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Leica MM, Jupiter 3 5cm f/1.5 @f/16, 1/60s, Yellow filter

V

Vivek

City cleaners get to work early and every street is meticulously done, manually.

Leica MM, Jupiter-3

and the men workers appear to wear better protection and distinguishing safety vests than the women.

Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2

V

Vivek

Road side, cigarette shop. The man staring in to the frame inquired why I am photographing and about the camera. Was friendly though.

V

Vivek

Even today (I visited this city after ~15 years), there are many little shacks by the roadside, selling slippers (or "open shoes"), offering repairs as you wait and shoe polish.

One just opening for the business that day.

Leica MM, Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5, Yellow filter

Another, just to show how tiny these are.

Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2, Yellow filter

V

Vivek

Vivek,

Excellent series. I've enjoyed every "episode". Thanks for sharing these wonderful images with the rest of us mere mortals.

Joe
Joe, Thank you for your kind words! :)

Just because of a word you used in your post, I will share this along with the photo ( I normally post pics with no title and no descriptions, except for this particular MM series). I saw this man in an yellow robe by the roadside eating a snack in the morning (presumably his breakfast)with a plastic bag by his side which has all his worldly possessions. I approached him and asked (gestured) for a photo, he nodded and I took this snap. I was about to ask if he needed any money for food but to my shock and surprise, he blessed me! I moved on quietly. Phew! Major lesson in cultural sensitivity for this mortal!

Leica MM, Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5, Orange filter

V

Vivek

For a city that boasts of the first billion dollar house anywhere, it still has people living off the plastic waste that the city generates.

Mumbai

Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2, yellow filter

V

Vivek

A domestic helper sent off to fetch day fresh vegetables in the morning. The middle class still enjoys the luxury of maids and part time cooks for fresh meals made at home.

V

Vivek

This is as close as some couples can get in some places.

Mumbai.

Could not get in front (lead feet :eek:) but the reaction of one in the frame says it all. Very rare.

V

Vivek

Lunch delivery bicycle, Mumbai. Someone watching me photograph it came and asked what was going on (with the subject)!

Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2

V

Vivek

Mumbai.

Leica MM, Jupiter-3 5cm f/1.5, Orange filter

He was full of comments about the camera and the photo but rapidly lost interest when I made it clear that it is a monochrome only camera.