The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

airfrogusmc

All I have from the past week is some stuff I shot for clients. So heres a couple of things from an event from one of my university clients I shot yesterday.

I shot everything on this wall display and there are three others kinda like it within the university. These photos on the display are all in color.

A couple from the event.

ashwinrao1

Hi all,
Great images, and welcome to several new members! Here are a few efforts from one of my "newer" lenses, a 50+ year old Nikkor 8.5 cm f/2 LTM, one of the lenses that made the Nikon RF system back in the day, and a lens many preferred to its Leitz counterparts...It's incredible as a performer, even my today's standards, and is especially impressive on the MM, which it does a great job with (it can remarkably keep up with the MM's sensor)

ashwinrao1

One more, with heavier processing. The MM files are sooooo compliant with POST...it's incredible what one can do with files....

V

Vivek

Back to the Hague. This is definitely intended as a test run with the low contrast and easily flaring W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4 lens.

In the tram

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

michaelstokes

Here are a few shots with the MM from a recent trip to Burma. All shot with the 35mm FLE, orange filter. The first image is at ISO 320 and the other two are handheld at ISO 3200.

charlesphoto

Hi Ashwin,

Gorgeous stuff you've been shooting. Gonna have to pick your brains about these old lenses. At this point I think maybe you have too many and need to narrow it down! Early days with my MM still, and haven't really connected yet. But I'm sure I will, it's just that I always liked the M9 color look so much it's hard to get used to thinking in b&w again.

Take care,

CP

ashwinrao1

Hi Ashwin,

Gorgeous stuff you've been shooting. Gonna have to pick your brains about these old lenses. At this point I think maybe you have too many and need to narrow it down! Early days with my MM still, and haven't really connected yet. But I'm sure I will, it's just that I always liked the M9 color look so much it's hard to get used to thinking in b&w again.

Take care,

CP
Thanks very much, Charles. I just shot you an email...I would say that it takes a month or 2 to get familiar and reconnect. After that, M9 files wil seem plain by comparison....I am loving the BW experience, as you may be able to tell. It has gotten me to focus on composition and light more...

V

Vivek

Here is the main reason why this combo is so valuable to me.

An Ultraviolet capture. The dark looking shades are a clear plastic protection glasses with UV cut off (~400nm where blue starts). The UV bandpass filter transmits between 320-390nm. The UV sensitivity of MM is just astounding.

Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2, Baader U 2" filter, ISO320, 1/45s

The glasses- in visible light (no filter on the lens)

Leica MM, Rokkor 40/2, crop

I would like to try the AA 50 to check if it has any useful UV transmission.

MikalWGrass

Ashwin, just received the 85/2 back from DAG. I only wish I had an MM to mount the thing on. Any good alternatives other than an M6 and scanning?

D&A

Ashwin, you're on a roll and so are many others posting here. Some lovely work and even though I am partial to street photography, your "close ups" Ashwin definitely make me stop and think about the various and intriguing technical aspects each one contains. I too was wondering if the image above was taken with the 85 f2?

Dave (D&A)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Hi guys, yes, the pic above was taken with the Nikkor 85 mm f/2. I think ISO was closer to 320, with grain added after the fact.