The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

asiafish

Some fun in Las Vegas with the M Monochrom. All images are straight out-of-camera DNG converted to JPEG in Lightroom 5 with no adjustments whatsoever.

These first two are with the MM and the Leica 75mm f/2.5 Summarit

Losses by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Relaxed by Lawman1967, on Flickr

The next two are with the Leica 35mm f/2.5 Summarit (my favorite lens)

Look! by Lawman1967, on Flickr

City Center by Lawman1967, on Flickr

And the last two with the 5cm f/1.5 Jupiter 3

Sale by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Down by Lawman1967, on Flickr

erudolph

Noctilux Near Noon

These taken around noon, with the f/1 Noct but shot at f/1.4, of spectators at the America's Cup Race in San Francisco. It's hard for me to find a way to manipulate these files, because the everything-gained-is-something-lost factor seems particularly true with them. One thing I know is that high contrast post production loses too much. Much prefer the moodiness this lens can produce at this time of day.

chrism

Michael, I have enjoyed your series of London photographs greatly. Makes me feel a little homesick for my homeland, even though I've now lived longer in Canada than I did in the UK. I'd love to know about the PP of the shot of the taxi and the motorcycle somewhere above. Magical. The only times I get those kind of blacks in MM files is when I put them into Aperture as tiffs and play with them there. There was a LR version of this photo a couple of pages back, but it's gone when I replaced it on Flickr with the nicer Aperture version:

Probably just my ignorance of LR, but I find things better in Aperture and wish Apple would get their finger out and accept MM DNGs!

Chris

MichaelToye

Thanks for the kind comment Chris. You should follow my ramblings at blog.michaeltoye.com. I post London images and, every so often, "how i processed/took/did..." pieces.

The taxi/bike shot was not a special process. In point of fact, all my images are processed in the same fashion. I use CS6 and Silver Efex Pro 2, which I can see why it was given freely by Leica. Cracking product!

I produce a 'base' layer which might very well look like the portrait of your girls above - good level of contrast and most importantly a lovely range of tones. maintain control of the light levels in the base layer too, as you have done.

Not sure where the equivalents are in other products, but I use 1 or 2 contrast layers in addition; Soft & Hard Light Blend Mode. They will amplify blacks and whites.

To achieve this, I will process an additional layer in SEP2. Low contrast, even tones, maybe a vignette. This layer will be set to soft/hard light layer mode. There is practice in knowing how the soft/hard light layer modes will react with this additional image layer though.

It's this extra step that reveals the deep blacks.

Hope this helps
Michael