The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

Paul.N

I was curious to see how the MM would do with studio lights.. It was rushed, and the kids were impatient, but overall, I am happy with the tonality/detail.

fotografz

I was curious to see how the MM would do with studio lights.. It was rushed, and the kids were impatient, but overall, I am happy with the tonality/detail.

Like the 2nd one Paul.:thumbup:

What lights, placed where with what modifier … and what lens?

- Marc

Paul.N

Like the 2nd one Paul.:thumbup:

What lights, placed where with what modifier … and what lens?

- Marc
Thanks!

I used a 90mm APO summicron. I had to crop it a bit as I was at the minimum focus distance as it was. The lighting consisted of a medium soft box + grid, camera left - perpendicular to the subject. You can make out the grid lines, which seem to blend right in with his pupil in a blackhole kind of way.

I took a few more similar shots of my other two boys using the same lighting. It is amazing how similar, yet different they are. The soft box grid lines don't flow as nicely with them - but I'm lucky. It is hard enough to manually focus on a moving subject let alone line up the reflections in a pupil :)