The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

Hi Ashwin,

Nice job of capturing the action, with lots of shadow detail.

I have a question, tho: The good old W-Nikkor isn't a contrasty lens, yet the highlights in nos. 1 & 2 don't show as much detail as I'd hoped to see. So I wonder if that's perhaps a 246 characteristic, or something about processing, or just the subject matter?

Kirk

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Hi Ashwin,

Nice job of capturing the action, with lots of shadow detail.

I have a question, tho: The good old W-Nikkor isn't a contrasty lens, yet the highlights in nos. 1 & 2 don't show as much detail as I'd hoped to see. So I wonder if that's perhaps a 246 characteristic, or something about processing, or just the subject matter?

Kirk
Great question. Most of the shots were taken in the harshest of mid-day lighting circumstances, and the W Nikkor does get contrasty a bit more when stopped down, where it looses its glow and becomes rather clinical. I prefer its look wide open, but I didn't have an ND filter on hand, and with the M246's base ISO of 320 ISO, coupled with the bright light, I was stopped down between f/5.6-f/8 most of the time. Some of the impact for me, came in the contrast, so I did makes some editing choices to sink the blacks a bit....

J

JohnW

I expect this is old hat to you long-time MM shooters, but please allow this new owner to gush a little about its files. Here's a crop of a section of the image I posted yesterday. It's not just the resolution, but also the acuity, delicate tones and tonal transitions, especially in the light tones. I'm wowed and so glad I finally went forward with this purchase. Thanks again, jlm.

John

Last edited:
J

JohnW

My son and daughter are home for a rare weekend together for the wedding of a family friend.