The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

J

JohnW

Edward Hopper would admire that one!

Kirk
Thank you, Kirk. That's a nice compliment. I thought of Hopper when I opened this file.

One of my aspirations (fantasies) as a street photographer has been to produce a photographic equivalent of Nighthawks. Not likely, I know, but one can dream.

I live near the Art Institute of Chicago where that painting lives when it's not on tour. Whenever I visit the museum I always stop by and marvel.

John

J

JohnW

Really liking your shots- you've got a street shooters eye for light and composition going on really nice...

it is all Jazz

-Pete
Thank you, Pete. Yes, it came together nicely for this one. I noticed the light on the door first and the sharp foreground shadow, and then the shadowed barber shop. It looked so theatrical. I waited and waited, shooting several shots of various passersby, but not really pleased with any. Fortunately the light remained when this guy stepped out of the barber shop for a smoke. I don't think I would have positioned him any differently if I were directing the scene myself. I really like the picture and am thrilled with the way the MM rendered it.

John

Last edited: