The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

D&A

Allen very insightful comments to accompany your lovely work. In the 70's I embarked along with my mentor, worked on chance encounters of individuals, mostly on the streets and the envions of NYC. I continued that project into the mid 80's and your work greatly inspired me to get back out there, so to speak. Congrats on the Leica Blog article.

Dave (D&A)

airfrogusmc

Thank you Mark and Dave.

Glad to hear that I had a positive influence on you Dave. I am hopelessly addicted to the ever changing street environment. I love the uncertainty and the ability in very rare moments to see some kind of clarity in chaos that is the street.

D&A

Thank you Mark and Dave.

Glad to hear that I had a positive influence on you Dave. I am hopelessly addicted to the ever changing street environment. I love the uncertainty and the ability in very rare moments to see some kind of clarity in chaos that is the street.
When younger and photographing on the streets of N.Y, I did so with abandonment of getting the shot first before being concerned about possible conseqences. It allowed me to solely concentrate on the evloving imagery. Being both youthful then, along with being in a different time where cameras on the street in general weren't prevelant everywhere and people suspecious of being photographed, alllowed for a more free spirit of practicing the craft.

Even photographing law enforcement confrontations or street altercations/interactions were more the norm rather than the exception. Life's responsibilites and especially moving away from the big city also has a lot to do with changes in both the type and style of photography I generally practice today, but my heart and spirit are still with the street.

As you pointed out, street photography is not about photographing people on the street, its capturing a fleeting moment in time that tell a story.

Even my mentor who was well known for his reportage work eventually moved back to Paris and saw a changing world especially with regards to street imagery and gravated to sculpture while well into his 90's

Again not just the on the Leica blog but have enjoyed your other posted work here and elsewhere. Same with the many excellent images in this thread taken by yourself and many others.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

airfrogusmc

When younger and photographing on the streets of N.Y, I did so with abandonment of getting the shot first before being concerned about possible conseqences. It allowed me to solely concentrate on the evloving imagery. Being both youthful then, along with being in a different time where cameras on the street in general weren't prevelant everywhere and people suspecious of being photographed, alllowed for a more free spirit of practicing the craft.

Even photographing law enforcement confrontations or street altercations/interactions were more the norm rather than the exception. Life's responsibilites and especially moving away from the big city also has a lot to do with changes in both the type and style of photography I generally practice today, but my heart and spirit are still with the street.

As you pointed out, street photography is not about photographing people on the street, its capturing a fleeting moment in time that tell a story.

Even my mentor who was well known for his reportage work eventually moved back to Paris and saw a changing world especially with regards to street imagery and gravated to sculpture while well into his 90's

Again not just the on the Leica blog but have enjoyed your other posted work here and elsewhere. Same with the many excellent images in this thread.

Dave (D&A)
Thank you Dave....

scott kirkpatrick

On the subject of staying with a situation on the street, did anyone else identify with the press photog who was on the scene yesterday in Turkey when a gunman shot the Russian ambassador? Would you have stayed in the room and kept shooting? (He said he had a small wall to get behind, but that can't have been much protection.)

BTW, given the shooter's conservative dress, the pictures are almost B/W.

scott

D&A

I know for myself perspectives change with age and time. I believe when in my youth I would have stayed without thinking much about safety and ongoing situatuon but now I'm so certain.

Not that many years ago when photographing John Kerry and his wife at a very special commemorative outdoor event when he was running for President, I was caught in a tight security situation in Wash. D.C where orders were given to clear out by secret service. I sort of had blinders on in order to get the shots although it wasn't long before I felt two strong firm hands tightly grab my collar and forced to follow directions and was quickly brought back to reality.

So when photographing in the heat of the moment, sometimes good rational judgement takes 2nd place.

Dave (D&A)