The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

da_eltsch

WaterField.jpg

Early morning at a flooded field.
I was fighting with dynamic range here. (M246 / Nokton 50 1.2 II)

The original shows more structure / sharpness. I have to play better with the conversion for the web, sorry

KeithDM

Unleashing my inner 'Don McCullin'! Well, I did view his exhibition last week and took delivery of his latest book 'Landscapes' yesterday... ;)
M10 Monochrom, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH.

kdphotography

The M10M really is just a "fun" camera to use. Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton

Image from my recent trip to Peru. Meal was cooked traditionally in the ground and then placed in the pots for serving.

L1000331.jpg

KeithDM

Mid-morning today I took a walk up Knap Hill (on the Marlborough Downs in Wiltshire) then a little way along Tan Hill Way. Quite misty looking across Pewsey Vale! A series of photos made during a very enjoyable walk. M10 Monochrom, photo 1 is with 135mm APO-Telyt-M, the rest with ZM 50mm C-Sonnar.

D&A

"House of Justice". Charles City Courthouse. Charles City, Virginia

Leica MM1; 7Artisans 28mm f1.4

Background (continued): In post #4479 on this page, I mentioned the history of the Nance-Major store which eventually became Cul's Courthouse Grill (shown), named for it's location directly across the street from the famed Civil War era courthouse which is now on the National Register of Historical Places and has just recently undergone restoration. Although the name Charles City implies a growing metropolis, the word "city" in this case is anything but. The center of this history laden crossroad has one eatery (Cul's), the courthouse, a house of worship and recently added library and social support facilities.

In January 1781, General Benedict Arnold (yes that Benedict Arnold) sent the Queen's Rangers to attack the Virginia militia at the Charles City Courthouse where many lost their lives in that attack.

It was during the America Revolution, that soldiers enlisted here (at the courthouse) to join the Continental Army. When the war ended, disabled warriors and their widows came to collect their pensions.

During the Civil War, Charles City lay between the two armies, the confederate Army of Northern Virginia, which safeguarded the Confederate Capital "Richmond", which was approx. 30miles due east and the Union Army of the Potomac. In 1862, 60,000 troops of the Union Army marched to the Charles City Courthouse and encamped there before heading to nearby historic Williamsburg, the colonial village and Governors Palace during revolutionary times.

Eventually many of the Virginia Cavalry were captured in a surprise attack by Union soldiers at the courthouse and once again the courthouse passed into the hands of the Northern Army when General Grant moved 115,000 men across nearby territory in a lightning fast raids. Throughout the war, Charles City passed in and out of the hands of both armies but unfortunately occupation of the Charles city area saw the burning and distruction of the tavern, nearby buildings and records.

The Capital to Capital Trail (which runs contiguously from "The South's" Civil War Capital, Richmond Va. to the Colonel Capital of Jamestown Va.) is used by hikers, cyclists, and others, and passes directly in front of the original courthouse. Paralleling the Cap to Cap trail is motor Route 5, a two lane auto road, which has seen troops movement and battles from revolutionary times thru the Civil War and beyond and historical markers now dot the landscape along this journey with putouts for motorcyclists and motorists to stop along the way. A number of Presidential homes or Presidential birthplaces and also well known southern Plantations (many depicted in motion pictures) can also be found along route 5. Some of these plantations have recently become wineries.

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

Last edited:

rsinclair

M10 Monochrom in the High Arctic taking on subzero temps (F) and the Aurora...

Snowmobile Refueling @ 5am
Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Northernmost Norway
Summicron-M 28mm ISO 5000 f? 1/90

L1000133.jpg

Aurora N1
Summilux-M 21mm ISO 1600 f1.4 8sec

L1000098 1-1.jpg

Aurora N2
Summilux-M 21mm ISO 1600 f1.4 8sec

L1000109-1.jpg

KeithDM

Three views of a local small canal from this morning's walk. M10M, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, orange filter.