The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash For M9

wjlapier

My daughter needs some photos taken in about one month. I'd like to use a flash for fill and catch light. What flash works best with the M9 and give me good images that don't scream FLASH! I'll be using a 50 cron most likely wide open with minimal back-light in program mode. Basic senior photos with her clarinet.

BTW, do Nikon flash work with the M9? Just checking because I have SB400 sitting around here somewhere.

Thanks.

Last edited:

fotografz

Not "screaming flash" is more about how you use flash as opposed to which flash you use.

Yes most any modern flash will work on the M9, including the SB400 ... but there is no TTL. The SF24D and huge SF58 will provide TTL. $$$$$!

On camera flash will produce flat lighting unless just a tiny puff of fill is used, and the ambient has a nice direction to it. The catch lights in the eyes will not look like those from a large studio soft box, they will be pin pricks of light and the light will not be very soft because on-camera speed-lights are very small light sources even with a bounce diffuser on them.

Depending on where you will be shooting and how much ambient light you'll have to work with, you may be better off using a large reflector and getting someone to hold it for you.

Good luck with your shoot.

-Marc

wjlapier

Thanks Marc. Catch light--I was wondering why *-eye sounded wrong. I do have a reflector and some umbrellas I have't used for a long time. I was hoping for a easy quick solution. I've had lots of parents love my photos, but I knew the flash wasn't the way it should be. I suck at it, imo.

I have a D700, but sold off most of my lenses except the 200/2 and TCs. So I'm hoping to use the M9. I have way to fire flashes remote so I'll look into that.

Location will be outdoors under shade and some sun filtering in. I actually nailed a great session at this one spot and that's where I want to give it another shot.

edwardkaraa

The SF 24D is very good. I used it as light fill in on a film RF recently at a baptism ceremony and it worked wonderfully. In manual it can be set from full to 1/64.