The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M-E press release

Shashin

Control costs?

They just dropped the price of the M9 by a couple of thousand dollars! and called it an M-E.
Well, you need to make up your mind. If it is a rebadged M9, why do you expect it to have a different LCD?

Aaron

Well, you need to make up your mind. If it is a rebadged M9, why do you expect it to have a different LCD?
The crap lcd in the M9 was considered crap when the M9 launched a couple of years ago, to re-launch the M9 (a.k.a M-E) without at least upgrading the now ridiculously outdated LCD is unforgiveable in my opinion.

Now you can say, well they dropped the price and thats the main 'upgrade' but this is still being launched as something NEW.

But seriously, Do you think that today for a camera costing 5,450 Dollars that you don't deserve a better LCD than the Leica M8 from 2007?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The crap lcd in the M9 was considered crap when the M9 launched a couple of years ago, to re-launch the M9 (a.k.a M-E) without at least upgrading the now ridiculously outdated LCD is unforgiveable in my opinion.

Now you can say, well they dropped the price and thats the main 'upgrade' but this is still being launched as something NEW.

But seriously, Do you think that today for a camera costing 5,450 Dollars that you don't deserve a better LCD than the Leica M8 from 2007?
I think it is meanwhile more expensive to get such a crop LCD than a state of the art one :)

Leica simply did not invest any reconstruction of the M9 and just took what they had to sell it as a cheaper package and resell their old CCD sensors as long as supplies last.

Maybe there will not be more than a few thousand M-E's coming ;)

Shashin

It does not really bother me. FF rangefinders are expensive to produce. I would rather Leica offer their M cameras cheaper than load it up with technology that really does not add to the shooting process--as long as I can check basic composition and focus from time to time, the quality of the LCD is not that important--it is not like I play DVDs on the thing.

Aaron

It does not really bother me. FF rangefinders are expensive to produce. I would rather Leica offer their M cameras cheaper than load it up with technology that really does not add to the shooting process--as long as I can check basic composition and focus from time to time, the quality of the LCD is not that important--it is not like I play DVDs on the thing.
Yes, I can understand that.
I guess my thinking with the M9 has been that its such a tactile premium object that i want the LCD to be as good as the body. I often think I would prefer it had no lcd rather than a poor one. I guess I could just cover it with some gaffer tape :rolleyes:

Of course I am probably just too cheap and should just cough up for an M