Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: THE NEW LEICA M Press Release

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: THE NEW LEICA M Press Release

[QUOTE=jonoslack;452496]
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglou View Post

Hi There
    No (at least, I imagine not). Why should it? you set your aperture and focus at the correct aperture just like any mirrorless camera with a 3rd party lens. Stop down metering is then a thing of the past. The EVF will gain up to the brightness you have set whatever the actual Exposure value.

all the best
    You can use this to judge the differences in dimensions pretty clearly:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

The M9's 4way control and dial stands much more proud of the body than the new M components. The bodies shift as you toggle them in the top view overlay mode.

However, the overall size looks to be very very similar. I doubt it will make a substantive difference in feel and balance. (And it will be nice to have that control dial slimmed down and out of the way ... I have felt it obtrusive on the M9 since I got mine.)

The new, huge battery is a major plus. Frankly, I can't find anything about this new M that I don't like other than that I wish it were the same size as my M4-2. And that ain't gonna happen.

When I order it, it will help me finally slim down the amount of equipment in the closet once and for all. No more keeping an SLR around for occasional long lens or macro use. No more switching between APS-C and FF, and the tangle of lenses that are required to provide the FoV choices I want for both.

Unlike others, I do trust that Leica has put a good sensor in the M and don't really feel the need to worry about that. All I have to worry about, really, is paying for it ...
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I actually agree with Godfrey WRT the M.

Only difference I will for the moment keep the D800E as my sports and wildlife machine and when I really need 36MP.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    What a gorgeous modern camera as seen in the video. I just wish I could imagine that the FF Sony Nex won't just make so much more sense when it comes out (as it must).
    I don't see why Ben. I think that it's most unlikely that Sony will go to the same amount of trouble as Leica with the sensor and lens by lens firmware design so as to deal with corner issues, colour shifts etc. with M mount lenses. Sure, the Sony will be cheaper - but whether the cost of ownership is so very different I'd be less convinced.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

What a gorgeous modern camera as seen in the video. I just wish I could imagine that the FF Sony Nex won't just make so much more sense when it comes out (as it must).
    If it comes, Ben. Sony doesn't have any interest in making a FF mirrorless for us to use or adapt our M mount lenses. if Sony does it, it would be to use their own lenses and they have none, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I need a explanation on the the front button on focus preview. I push the button what happens in the optical finder does something light up and say i am in focus in the finder OR OR is it only on the LCD or the EVF. The problem I see is I don't always want to use a EVF but what differences happen NOW in the M in the optical finder. Live view is tripod mounted for most purposes, not really a hand held thing and i ain't going to hold the camera 12 inches from my bloody eye to shoot like some P&S that is not me. I want my greasy nose in the finder but i want some confirmation of focus in the optical or is it only in the EVF/LCD.

The right answer here may make me spend big money. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay I need a explanation on the the front button on focus preview. I push the button what happens in the optical finder does something light up and say i am in focus in the finder OR OR is it only on the LCD or the EVF. The problem I see is I don't always want to use a EVF but what differences happen NOW in the M in the optical finder. Live view is tripod mounted for most purposes, not really a hand held thing and i ain't going to hold the camera 12 inches from my bloody eye to shoot like some P&S that is not me. I want my greasy nose in the finder but i want some confirmation of focus in the optical or is it only in the EVF/LCD.

The right answer here may make me spend big money. LOL
    Until the new M manual is available, we can only speculate unless someone who has access to an evaluation sample can tell us explicitly.

I'd see the focus button on the front having two functions, depending on camera operational mode:

- with Live View off, the button changes framelines in the optical finder since they're now implemented with an LCD overlay. swap between framelines using the thumbwheel. default framelines are set by the lens' built in cam. (focus is confirmed using the rangefinder)

- with Live View on (either LCD or EVF), the button provides magnification and focus peaking (depending on menu based configuration for peaking and the thumbwheel for magnification changes)

That is what I'd want. Whether it's what Leica provided remains to be seen.

Post Thanks / Like

According to David Farkas, the focus assist button magnifies the LV by 5x or 10x. Focus peaking is activated when the focusing ring is moved.

By the way, Guy, LV focusing is done handheld and no problem even with magnified view. You should try it for yourself.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I actually agree with Godfrey WRT the M.

Only difference I will for the moment keep the D800E as my sports and wildlife machine and when I really need 36MP.
    Yes, in those kinds of sequence capture and long lens niche uses, it will take a while for anything with an electronic viewfinder to out-perform a high end DSLR. That is where I believe the DSLR will reign as king for a long time to come.

I do so little of that kind of stuff it's better for me to just rent equipment for that purpose. :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    According to David Farkas, the focus assist button magnifies the LV by 5x or 10x. Focus peaking is activated when the focusing ring is moved.
    That's slick. How does the camera know the focusing ring has been moved?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So nothing in the optical than for any focus confirm. Bummer

We need someone at Photokinia to give us a real rundown on stuff like this
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

This new M is making me think twice having sold all my M and ZM glass, feeling such regret, ponders how far the new M has come! Battery life, sealing, higher ISO and MP, are just the short list, I really wonder how much further they can improve on this keeping this a M!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    According to David Farkas, the focus assist button magnifies the LV by 5x or 10x.
    That is just like it is in every mirrorless cam out there. While nothing earth shaking, it is an useful feature.

I would be curious if the focus area can be moved around as in most modern mirrorless camera or it is just a fixed central spot (like it was with the Samsung NX10).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea Live view is a given here just like anything else. That one is easy to figure out. The EVF and focus preview buttons are what we need feet on the ground for to give us some answers and frankly we may not know until production on what it may have changed to from today.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That's slick. How does the camera know the focusing ring has been moved?
    Leica added a sensor on the rangefinder focusing arm to detect that the focus ring is being moved. I saw it mentioned here in the paragraph right after they mention the EVF about halfway down.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

So nothing in the optical than for any focus confirm. Bummer

We need someone at Photokinia to give us a real rundown on stuff like this
    Have been at Photokina today - the M is really a great camera. Everything works fine - focus confirmation is the best!
    David Farkas has written his impressions about the M. There is nothing to add at the moment ...
    Red Dot Forum - Photokina 2012: Day 1 - The Leica M

Frank

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea Live view is a given here just like anything else. That one is easy to figure out. The EVF and focus preview buttons are what we need feet on the ground for to give us some answers and frankly we may not know until production on what it may have changed to from today.
    I can't imagine that the EVF will do anything different from Live View on the LCD, other than that you can split off review mode to always be on the LCD (like you can with the X2).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Leica added a sensor on the rangefinder focusing arm to detect that the focus ring is being moved. I saw it mentioned here in the paragraph right after they mention the EVF about halfway down.
    Very clever! :-)

So ... can you switch which optical viewfinder frame lines are being used without changing the lens? (this is useful to me as I often use a 40mm lens, and sometimes the 35mm frame lines are a better choice than the 50mm frame lines.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think people are talking past each other here. What Guy is wondering is whether there is any indication of focus in the Optical Viewfinder. It's nice that the Electronic Viewfinder and LCD allow you to check focus, but the question is whether you can check focus without the EVF or the LCD.

I think not.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very clever! :-)

So ... can you switch which optical viewfinder frame lines are being used without changing the lens? (this is useful to me as I often use a 40mm lens, and sometimes the 35mm frame lines are a better choice than the 50mm frame lines.)
    I'm unsure. I don't remember reading anything about the frameline selection other than they are grouped in the same 3 set pairs as the M9. The link I provided was from David Farkas' enthusiastic hands on preview. Overall it's a evolutionary version of the M9 IMO. I'm just going to wait to see if a la carte options will be available as I'd like one without the M engraving or the red dot on the front personally.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I think people are talking past each other here. What Guy is wondering is whether there is any indication of focus in the Optical Viewfinder. It's nice that the Electronic Viewfinder and LCD allow you to check focus, but the question is whether you can check focus without the EVF or the LCD.

I think not.
    I would assume not but who knows? I don't know how qualified many are to answer. All we have are second hand reports to go by. I haven't read of that being a feature but I've only read through about 3 reports so far.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So nothing in the optical than for any focus confirm. Bummer ...
    Um, in the optical viewfinder, why would you need anything more than the rangefinder spot to confirm focus?

A rangefinder spot allows you to see what you are focusing on at the same time as whether it is in focus.

An indicator light requires you to look in two places to see what's in focus. An indicator light by itself can only tell you that something is in focus, you have to also target the thing you're focusing on to determine whether the indicator light is lit up.

I don't know that there's any added utility in that. Of course, the mechanics of in-focus indication means having some sort of phase detect or contrast detect focusing algorithm in place as well and I don't know how you'd do that with an optical-mechanical rangefinder apparatus that only knows where the focusing mount is turned to in order to align a prism to a particular point—the meaning of what it sees is up to your eye. Beyond that, you need a sensor or two in the viewfinder optical chain. In Live View mode, the main sensor could do the job, but the main sensor is covered by the shutter when not in Live View mode (unless they've gone to an open-shutter rest state, like with NEX and Micro-FourThirds).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Um, in the optical viewfinder, why would you need anything more than the rangefinder spot to confirm focus?

A rangefinder spot allows you to see what you are focusing on at the same time as whether it is in focus.

An indicator light requires you to look in two places to see what's in focus. An indicator light by itself can only tell you that something is in focus, you have to also target the thing you're focusing on to determine whether the indicator light is lit up.

I don't know that there's any added utility in that. Of course, the mechanics of in-focus indication means having some sort of phase detect or contrast detect focusing algorithm in place as well and I don't know how you'd do that with an optical-mechanical rangefinder apparatus that only knows where the focusing mount is turned to in order to align a prism to a particular point—the meaning of what it sees is up to your eye. Beyond that, you need a sensor or two in the viewfinder optical chain. In Live View mode, the main sensor could do the job, but the main sensor is covered by the shutter when not in Live View mode (unless they've gone to an open-shutter rest state, like with NEX and Micro-FourThirds).
    Hi Godfrey
    Beautifully put - when you're in optical rangefinder mode (as can be seen in both David Farkas and Thorsten Overgaard's blogs - both excellent) the shutter is closed, and the normal grey shutter blade is assessing exposure - it doesn't seem likely that there will be any kind of focus confirmation. Added to which, the LED information sounds pretty much like the M9 - which certainly suggests that there isn't the overlay needed to provide focus confirmation in the optical viewfinder.
    As i understand from Stefan's interview with Thorsten, if you use the M in normal rangefinder mode it will behave just like an M9 (and quite right too).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben, it is great that all the do-dads people want are now available on the M camera ... what is most important to me is that without them, this is a traditional M rangefinder camera with an optical viewfinder like always ... the Sony will never be that. The A900 was probably the last OVF they will ever make.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Than its exactly as the M9 today that is my point. I may not want to use LV or the darn EVF. Some of us hate EVFs and live view is NOT on the fly shooting. If nothing has changed in the optical than for some its a no go . A lot of people have a hard time with the optical range finder as it is today. Also I don't always want some thing on top if the cam, that's another issue. This sounds like a half baked solution. Please don't tell me the rangefinder is accurate either been here done that and it's not always the case.

What we are hoping for here is that focus preview lights up inside the optical to show a focus mark on what is in focus that's what previews are for. That is the solution not a accessory .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What we are hoping for here is that focus preview lights up inside the optical to show a focus mark on what is in focus that's what previews are for. That is the solution not a accessory .
    Wouldn't that take an EVF of some sort? Whether it's a hybrid OVF/EVF like the Fuji or a full on EVF like the Sony cameras it would seem that an EVF would be needed to mark what's in focus if you didn't want to use LV. Something will always be in focus through traditional rangefinder means - it just may not be what you want. I don't know how they could confirm a subject is in focus without EVF or autofocus points/ lenses reading off the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Whether it's a hybrid OVF/EVF like the Fuji, ..."

Right, it would be unreasonable to expect Leica to be able to produce something as high tech as the Fuji hybrid VF. Too much to expect.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Placed my M Black order today.

Once I have it in hand will evaluate it against the M9P and decide whether to keep both ... M9P as back-up.

After eye surgery to remove a thick yellow nasty cataract, and a Toric lens to correct astigmatism my eyes are back to my youthful M glory days. Actual surgery took 12 minutes and was totally painless. Two weeks afterwards can nail OVF rangefinder focus on a black cat at midnight in a coal mine, wham!

Viva La Leica!

-Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I think the problem with a focus mark is the camera doesn't know what you are focusing on. How will it know when to light it? One solution is use the center of the image, so it basically light up the mark when the center point is in focus (kinda like when the focus peaking shows up in center), but we all know that mean the focus light could be lit for a wide range of focus-throw, depending on aperture. For shallow DOF, it'll be hard to judge the "in-focus" unless the center area is very small.

edit: nevermind, I see you mean a hybrid VF, not a confirmation dot.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Wouldn't that take an EVF of some sort? Whether it's a hybrid OVF/EVF like the Fuji or a full on EVF like the Sony cameras it would seem that an EVF would be needed to mark what's in focus if you didn't want to use LV. Something will always be in focus through traditional rangefinder means - it just may not be what you want. I don't know how they could confirm a subject is in focus without EVF or autofocus points/ lenses reading off the sensor.
    Simple hit focus preview and it reads off the sensor. That was where I was going with this. Just like the EVF does why not with that focus preview it could not read in the optical off the sensor. Now would that not be a feature set you would like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    Guy, I think the problem with a focus mark is the camera doesn't know what you are focusing on. How will it know when to light it? One solution is use the center of the image, so it basically light up the mark when the center point is in focus (kinda like when the focus peaking shows up in center), but we all know that mean the focus light could be lit for a wide range of focus-throw, depending on aperture. For shallow DOF, it'll be hard to judge the "in-focus" unless the center area is very small.
    I guess this could go along with the focus preview button. Lets say you hit that button and it actually read in the optical what the sensor is seeing just like live view or the EVF. Than the secondary part which is usually contrast driven for focusing it could light up the area via like phase one back with focus mask. The tech is there in the phase back to show what is in focus via it works by contrast. Now in the M let's say it took that tech and lit up a green area that has the most contrast when it's reading off the sensor. Now I could be talking M11 model here but just imagine this. This is sort of what I was hoping for when it said focus preview cause this what that would mean. Maybe they should name that something else cause its the first thing I thought of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I get what you mean... convert the focus peaking dots that they would show on the LV/EVF, and project it onto the optical viewer, overlaying the real image. I think my solution is easier confirm center focus, then recompose... it's how RF shooter do it anyway.
    David Young

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now I'm giving the M a load of credit here they jumped into the future damn well here but I think they are relying a little too much on this external. Finder than trying to put things in the optical. This is what Stephan and I talked about several years ago and we where talking of a more electronic technology through the optical . One was the lit up frame lines that seems to be on this. Awesome it needed it but focus has always been a issue with M and bad eyes or old eyes lets say. Now they did help with live view and the EVF. Just wish they tried harder for this Focus tech type stuff in the body. I know I maybe pushing the envelop here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I get what you mean... convert the focus peaking dots that they would show on the LV/EVF, and project it onto the optical viewer, overlaying the real image. I think my solution is easier confirm center focus, then recompose... it's how RF shooter do it anyway.
    Yes something like that would work. Lol yes I even do that with my Nikons and Phase but I want more. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can we call this cheap *** auto focusing or CAF for short. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really I was hoping they made more use of the optical as EVF external is not always the perfect solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

had another idea... someone mentioned something about AF in M-cameras where the sensor could be moved instead of the lens. What if all you need is to use the RF to get it close enough, then the sensor will slightly adjust to make it perfect (assuming it knows what perfect is). That'll solve bad eyes, focus shifts, misalignments... call it sensor-focus-assist.
    David Young

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice idea not sure it's feasible because of space but more likely it could shake as well. Moving sensor sounds a little scary. LOL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Than its exactly as the M9 today that is my point. I may not want to use LV or the darn EVF. Some of us hate EVFs and live view is NOT on the fly shooting. If nothing has changed in the optical than for some its a no go . A lot of people have a hard time with the optical range finder as it is today. Also I don't always want some thing on top if the cam, that's another issue. This sounds like a half baked solution. Please don't tell me the rangefinder is accurate either been here done that and it's not always the case.

Guy, I'm a continuous M user for 40 years and see this as an evolution of the M in traditional rangefinder shooting methods, except the LV will allow more precise focus check if shooting on a tripod for really critical work ... and the gain of more low light ISO ability. Otherwise what you ask for is Focus Peaking that requires EVF, like it or not.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

Well said . RF shooting is different ...advantages and disadvantages ..some can t stand it and other can live with out it .

However I am not sure that focus confirmation would add as much as implied. I was working in NYC with a 50 1.4R on the D800E ... a sweet lens that nicely balances on the Nikon Body . Focus confirmation helped but as the light diminished ..it wasn t acceptable . So using a pretty good DSLR the FC wasn t up to the task ..not sure the Leica would be either .

Focus peaking is another story altogether but then you are using the EVF .

My issue with the EVF is that it seems to get in my way of "seeing" the photograph ..I am watching it on a small screen .

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Really I was hoping they made more use of the optical as EVF external is not always the perfect solution.
    OK here is my Canon 1DX compromise....

Focus with the OVF...hit live view...magnify fine tune hit live view to return mirror and you are good to go. Since the OVF on the M does not blank out your round trip time is seconds...with practice this is very doable...the difficulty is the change in focus distance from eye position with the OVF to looking at the LCD. On a Mono or Tri no movement of camera so not a big deal.

Looking at the results with a DSLR will convince you that OVF is not good enough ... not even considering a lens that has focus shift as you change aperture.

Actually you need to do this only when moving to a new focus distance...as long as you are in the zone just shoot.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Simple hit focus preview and it reads off the sensor. That was where I was going with this. Just like the EVF does why not with that focus preview it could not read in the optical off the sensor. Now would that not be a feature set you would like.
    I guess what I was getting at is how will it be able to display the "augmented reality" in showing what is exactly in focus without an EVF in a mirrorless design? Granted you can see what's in focus with SLR's as you're seeing what the lens "sees." Something is always "in focus" with a manual lens. I just don't see a way around the "issue" outside the Fuji OVF/EVF method or a full on EVF in a mirrorless camera.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind a Fuji style OVF/EVF as long as the quality is high and I'm not a fan of add-ons at all. If I decide to add some R glass to the kit then I wouldn't be opposed to the EVF. Outside of that I can compose with the OVF and check focus on the rear screen if need be.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm giving the M a load of credit here they jumped into the future damn well here but I think they are relying a little too much on this external. Finder than trying to put things in the optical. This is what Stephan and I talked about several years ago and we where talking of a more electronic technology through the optical . One was the lit up frame lines that seems to be on this. Awesome it needed it but focus has always been a issue with M and bad eyes or old eyes lets say. Now they did help with live view and the EVF. Just wish they tried harder for this Focus tech type stuff in the body. I know I maybe pushing the envelop here.
    LOL .. I think we're on opposite poles with this one, Guy. I want no overlays in the optical finder at all. I prefer the M4-2 optical finder because it has fewer framelines than the M9. One of the real turn-offs to me with the Fuji X100, first time I picked it up, was the busy, cluttered mess in the optical finder. I know you can turn nearly all of it off, but I really really hated it. ;-)

No one camera is best for every photographic purpose or every photographer. What you want ... well, I suspect better off with that nice Nikon D800 you have already. :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

had another idea... someone mentioned something about AF in M-cameras where the sensor could be moved instead of the lens. What if all you need is to use the RF to get it close enough, then the sensor will slightly adjust to make it perfect (assuming it knows what perfect is). That'll solve bad eyes, focus shifts, misalignments... call it sensor-focus-assist.
    Contax did something like that in one of their SLR cameras. It was horrible, made the camera much bigger and heavier, and the focusing mechanism wasn't particularly reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL .. I think we're on opposite poles with this one, Guy. I want no overlays in the optical finder at all. I prefer the M4-2 optical finder because it has fewer framelines than the M9. One of the real turn-offs to me with the Fuji X100, first time I picked it up, was the busy, cluttered mess in the optical finder. I know you can turn nearly all of it off, but I really really hated it. ;-)

No one camera is best for every photographic purpose or every photographer. What you want ... well, I suspect better off with that nice Nikon D800 you have already. :-)
    Well my idea is actually simple and clean you hit the focus preview when you want and it reads the sensor and green dots light up on areas that are in focus at shooting aperture than simply release the preview button. It's a bang bang and its off. Very fast very clean as you go right back to normal optical. It's a future idea it seems. That's okay my guess Leica will make a internal EVF anyway at some point. I'll see once I get a chance to try one how I like the EVF. Live view is great and a no brainer but really a tripod type function. I can't hold cameras away from me just not me. I like sucking face with the camera if you know what mean. Lol

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my idea is actually simple and clean you hit the focus preview when you want and it reads the sensor and green dots light up on areas that are in focus at shooting aperture than simply release the preview button. It's a bang bang and its off. Very fast very clean as you go right back to normal optical. It's a future idea it seems. That's okay my guess Leica will make a internal EVF anyway at some point. I'll see once I get a chance to try one how I like the EVF. Live view is great and a no brainer but really a tripod type function. I can't hold cameras away from me just not me. I like sucking face with the camera if you know what mean. Lol
    The drawback of focus confirmation with a RF is the size of the spot....unless you can tailor it to your subject you will be disappointed.

With an OVF Leica would need to institute an additional sensor in the focus plane unrelated to the sensor...how small it would sense and could it be steerable would determine how effective it would be....

Probably why LV is their answer.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob on the phase back with focus mask which most likely could be done is in the menu you set it to either fine tune to the sharpest area . So basically you have a adjustment based on contrast values. They could possible do something of that nature. Most AF system are contrast base so it's really not a far out technology.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Live view is standard anymore and with CMOS a given. It's not on the fly working solution really. It's workable handheld but for very critical focus I guarantee you'll move when you take it off and recompose. People look at live view as a solution a little to much but it is a limited one as well. Obviously will depend on shooting style and subject . Not a tool for journalists lets say in general. My idea would be since you never take the camera away.

Well just some ideas. Thanks everyone for the input.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, there was effectively no delay when shooting with live view on the Leica M. No mirror and a faster shutter mechanism made for very quick shooting. I fired off a 5 or 6 shot burst in continuous mode and the screen didn't even appear to have noticeable blackout.

And, given the size of the M, I was able to get very accurate results hand holding, both with the EVF and the LCD. If you are used to the way a Nikon or Canon handles LV then, yes, I would be wary too of handheld shooting. As I wrote in my article, you have to try it to really see just how good a job Leica did on this camera.

Ok, back to writing..... the sun is going to come up soon
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Placed my M Black order today.

Once I have it in hand will evaluate it against the M9P and decide whether to keep both ... M9P as back-up.

After eye surgery to remove a thick yellow nasty cataract, and a Toric lens to correct astigmatism my eyes are back to my youthful M glory days. Actual surgery took 12 minutes and was totally painless. Two weeks afterwards can nail OVF rangefinder focus on a black cat at midnight in a coal mine, wham!

Viva La Leica!

-Marc
    Great news

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sample output @ 6400?

Ok guys , An Unofficial "New M" shot ....6400 Iso... : Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

should be reliable, from a regular in the forum.
    David Young