The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

THE NEW LEICA M Press Release

charlesphoto

Funny to see that they finally sourced gorilla glass and dropped this whole sapphire nonsense. Probably shaved a few hundred from the bottom line. Why they couldn't have done this from the get go with the M8 is beyond me.

Otherwise looks interesting. I'll probably pick up a used one here on DPI in a year or so from now. :D

markmont

So whats the focus assist button on the front do exactly? The make or break for me on this camera will be the high ISO performance in low light and the video quality. Had an M8 and was completely frustrated at the low light high ISO results. Uber noisy. My 5D Mark 2 puts out no noise on 4000 ISO (if not higher I'm sure but I never need to go higher) so that's my frame of reference. Mind you I haven't even shot an M9 so I don't even know how improved it is over the M8. Moving on - certainly video isn't necessary on an M but if it's a feature, I want it to be good. The grip has great extra use/accesories, seems a bit big though since I'm use to seeing the size of the bassplate. I'm curious if they are another brand will make a slimmer grip that doesn't have the bells and whistles.

fotografz

Over-all, very interesting Photokina for Leica ... IMO. They have been quite busy!

The new M is most certainly food for thought if M is your weapon of choice. I found this video to be pretty convincing, including initial indications of IQ (which remains to be investigated further):

John Dooley demonstrates The Leica M on Vimeo

The Key aspect is that the more traditionalist M user like me can ignore many of the do-dads and add-ons, but they are there should interests change. Basically a new M choice with different performance characteristics than the M9.

ISO 6400 is plenty for me, as long as the 3200 is good. I seriously doubt it will take three firmware updates to zero in the new M's IQ. I think Leica gained experience with the M8s and M9s and has a better grip on this. More importantly, M users have learned a lot, and quick sharing of techniques will shorten the learning curve to arrive at that M look. Not only is the company smarter, so are we.

For those wishing to trim down gear choices, but still have an occasional need for a longer lens, the R option seems just the ticket. Even the great 75s, 90s and M135AA will become for more usable when needed.

Those into video in any big way probably will dismiss the M except for some special lens applications ...like use of the Nocti or 21/1.4 (think Stanley Kubrick). So, something like the new Sony A99 is definitely the better choice compared to anything else other than a full blown video camera system. However, for the "gentleman" shooter, the ability to use both M and R glass will have its video attractions.

Studio/location shooters have new options to incorporate the M camera into the work-flow ... the sync port in the new base grip speaks to that.

Then there is the S:

24mm, 30-90 zoom, Elpro for the S180mm, and a surprise 120 T/S for the S system ... evolutionary performance enhancements for the S Body, all in the right areas. Improves and diversifies the S kit. S lens emphasis at this launch with no M lenses being announced shows serious commitment to the S system. Kudo's to leica :clap:

Odd to place any attention on the special "Lego Clown" edition X2. Reminds me of when Porsche made orange 911s with green interiors. :thumbdown:

over-all, Good Job Leica!

-Marc

Paratom

Even my first feeling about the "M" announcement was not so postive I think it will come down for me how the IQ/look compares to the CCD-M9 sensors I am used to.
I would not need to extras like video, and I prefer to use OVF but I agree for certain applications the option EVF doesnt hurt. Even though I find the solution of the x-pro1 with hybrid viewfinder much more "elegant" (but then the Fuji is not a rangefinder)
If I had allready R-glass -fine - but I still wonder how balanced the package feels.

V

Vivek

Nice video, very instructive, and the camera seems like a well executed piece of work. This Mr. Dooley can't really match the fake British accent of Kai Wong though :ROTFL:
So, I am not alone in thinking about that! :ROTFL:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hmmm . . . no M lens announcements? Weren't we expecting a 28mm Lux?
YES! Simple decision for Leica to delay introduction. Just catching up on the back log of M lens orders. Lots of new S lens demand (CS lenses) . Loss of some marketing buzz. (lost in the M & S introductions ). Looks like wait until next year. :(

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
on the EVF it really depends on how good the implementation is - it could be a godsend for Nocti, 90 chron and 135 AA users. EVF also provides an additional tool for working with some very good lenses with focus shift issues.

I'm assuming resolution about the same as the MM (which I'm very happy to have and will be very happy to keep). I think at this point the MM out resolves a lot of older glass - the incremental resolution doesn't improve the image - it just shows up lens faults. This leaves me skeptical on the R lenses. A few may be fine but many won't. Of course there are other Leica M adapters available from third parties and the EVF opens up a world of specialized and interesting lenses (the Canon 24 TS comes to mind for example).

But it really comes down to images quality and we won't really have a view of that until some trusted reviewers get their hands on finished cameras.

All in all a very interesting evolution. The really good news is that this will help keep Leica in good financial shape for another product iteration.

I'll probably be looking for a way to tape over the video button so I don't accidentally fill my cards with junk.

retow

This is 5mm thicker than the M-E/M9, also 100g heavier. Not sure how it feels handheld.
The weight advantage is gone. And so is the small size with EVF and handgrip. What remains are the smaller lenses in comparison to FF DSLR solutions. So what is left as real differentiators to newer DSLR offerings? Mechanical RF focusing and the outstanding lenses.

Shashin

Are any of your guys married, or at least have a steady girlfriend? First you talk about everything you want in a body and when the company finally delivers that you complain about her hair color. Tough crowd.

LOL

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Over all I like the new M. I would have preferred a built in EVF, but better actually to not get a hybrid finder and keep optical and electronic apart.

For some older lenses with focus shift the LV is a great feature, especially thinking about my 1.0/Nocti, which is now suddenly getting useable again.

WRT old R glass I am VERY sceptic, as most of these lenses are easily 20 year old designs and simply will not be up to this demanding 24MP sensor without AA filter.

Will I get one? Still not sure yet, as there are other interesting solutions available meanwhile :)