The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

THE NEW LEICA M Press Release

Godfrey

Hi There
No (at least, I imagine not). Why should it? you set your aperture and focus at the correct aperture just like any mirrorless camera with a 3rd party lens. Stop down metering is then a thing of the past. The EVF will gain up to the brightness you have set whatever the actual Exposure value.

all the best
You can use this to judge the differences in dimensions pretty clearly:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

The M9's 4way control and dial stands much more proud of the body than the new M components. The bodies shift as you toggle them in the top view overlay mode.

However, the overall size looks to be very very similar. I doubt it will make a substantive difference in feel and balance. (And it will be nice to have that control dial slimmed down and out of the way ... I have felt it obtrusive on the M9 since I got mine.)

The new, huge battery is a major plus. Frankly, I can't find anything about this new M that I don't like other than that I wish it were the same size as my M4-2. And that ain't gonna happen.

When I order it, it will help me finally slim down the amount of equipment in the closet once and for all. No more keeping an SLR around for occasional long lens or macro use. No more switching between APS-C and FF, and the tangle of lenses that are required to provide the FoV choices I want for both.

Unlike others, I do trust that Leica has put a good sensor in the M and don't really feel the need to worry about that. All I have to worry about, really, is paying for it ...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I actually agree with Godfrey WRT the M.

Only difference I will for the moment keep the D800E as my sports and wildlife machine and when I really need 36MP.

jonoslack

What a gorgeous modern camera as seen in the video. I just wish I could imagine that the FF Sony Nex won't just make so much more sense when it comes out (as it must).
I don't see why Ben. I think that it's most unlikely that Sony will go to the same amount of trouble as Leica with the sensor and lens by lens firmware design so as to deal with corner issues, colour shifts etc. with M mount lenses. Sure, the Sony will be cheaper - but whether the cost of ownership is so very different I'd be less convinced.

all the best

edwardkaraa

What a gorgeous modern camera as seen in the video. I just wish I could imagine that the FF Sony Nex won't just make so much more sense when it comes out (as it must).
If it comes, Ben. Sony doesn't have any interest in making a FF mirrorless for us to use or adapt our M mount lenses. if Sony does it, it would be to use their own lenses and they have none, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I need a explanation on the the front button on focus preview. I push the button what happens in the optical finder does something light up and say i am in focus in the finder OR OR is it only on the LCD or the EVF. The problem I see is I don't always want to use a EVF but what differences happen NOW in the M in the optical finder. Live view is tripod mounted for most purposes, not really a hand held thing and i ain't going to hold the camera 12 inches from my bloody eye to shoot like some P&S that is not me. I want my greasy nose in the finder but i want some confirmation of focus in the optical or is it only in the EVF/LCD.

The right answer here may make me spend big money. LOL

Godfrey

Okay I need a explanation on the the front button on focus preview. I push the button what happens in the optical finder does something light up and say i am in focus in the finder OR OR is it only on the LCD or the EVF. The problem I see is I don't always want to use a EVF but what differences happen NOW in the M in the optical finder. Live view is tripod mounted for most purposes, not really a hand held thing and i ain't going to hold the camera 12 inches from my bloody eye to shoot like some P&S that is not me. I want my greasy nose in the finder but i want some confirmation of focus in the optical or is it only in the EVF/LCD.

The right answer here may make me spend big money. LOL
Until the new M manual is available, we can only speculate unless someone who has access to an evaluation sample can tell us explicitly.

I'd see the focus button on the front having two functions, depending on camera operational mode:

- with Live View off, the button changes framelines in the optical finder since they're now implemented with an LCD overlay. swap between framelines using the thumbwheel. default framelines are set by the lens' built in cam. (focus is confirmed using the rangefinder)

- with Live View on (either LCD or EVF), the button provides magnification and focus peaking (depending on menu based configuration for peaking and the thumbwheel for magnification changes)​

That is what I'd want. Whether it's what Leica provided remains to be seen.

edwardkaraa

According to David Farkas, the focus assist button magnifies the LV by 5x or 10x. Focus peaking is activated when the focusing ring is moved.

By the way, Guy, LV focusing is done handheld and no problem even with magnified view. You should try it for yourself.

Godfrey

I actually agree with Godfrey WRT the M.

Only difference I will for the moment keep the D800E as my sports and wildlife machine and when I really need 36MP.
Yes, in those kinds of sequence capture and long lens niche uses, it will take a while for anything with an electronic viewfinder to out-perform a high end DSLR. That is where I believe the DSLR will reign as king for a long time to come.

I do so little of that kind of stuff it's better for me to just rent equipment for that purpose. :)

Guy Mancuso

So nothing in the optical than for any focus confirm. Bummer

We need someone at Photokinia to give us a real rundown on stuff like this

pophoto

This new M is making me think twice having sold all my M and ZM glass, feeling such regret, ponders how far the new M has come! Battery life, sealing, higher ISO and MP, are just the short list, I really wonder how much further they can improve on this keeping this a M!

V

Vivek

According to David Farkas, the focus assist button magnifies the LV by 5x or 10x.
That is just like it is in every mirrorless cam out there. While nothing earth shaking, it is an useful feature.

I would be curious if the focus area can be moved around as in most modern mirrorless camera or it is just a fixed central spot (like it was with the Samsung NX10).

Guy Mancuso

Yea Live view is a given here just like anything else. That one is easy to figure out. The EVF and focus preview buttons are what we need feet on the ground for to give us some answers and frankly we may not know until production on what it may have changed to from today.

iiiNelson

That's slick. How does the camera know the focusing ring has been moved?
Leica added a sensor on the rangefinder focusing arm to detect that the focus ring is being moved. I saw it mentioned here in the paragraph right after they mention the EVF about halfway down.

MagicFM

Godfrey

Yea Live view is a given here just like anything else. That one is easy to figure out. The EVF and focus preview buttons are what we need feet on the ground for to give us some answers and frankly we may not know until production on what it may have changed to from today.
I can't imagine that the EVF will do anything different from Live View on the LCD, other than that you can split off review mode to always be on the LCD (like you can with the X2).

Godfrey

Leica added a sensor on the rangefinder focusing arm to detect that the focus ring is being moved. I saw it mentioned here in the paragraph right after they mention the EVF about halfway down.
Very clever! :)

So ... can you switch which optical viewfinder frame lines are being used without changing the lens? (this is useful to me as I often use a 40mm lens, and sometimes the 35mm frame lines are a better choice than the 50mm frame lines.)

stephengilbert

I think people are talking past each other here. What Guy is wondering is whether there is any indication of focus in the Optical Viewfinder. It's nice that the Electronic Viewfinder and LCD allow you to check focus, but the question is whether you can check focus without the EVF or the LCD.

I think not.

iiiNelson

Very clever! :)

So ... can you switch which optical viewfinder frame lines are being used without changing the lens? (this is useful to me as I often use a 40mm lens, and sometimes the 35mm frame lines are a better choice than the 50mm frame lines.)
I'm unsure. I don't remember reading anything about the frameline selection other than they are grouped in the same 3 set pairs as the M9. The link I provided was from David Farkas' enthusiastic hands on preview. Overall it's a evolutionary version of the M9 IMO. I'm just going to wait to see if a la carte options will be available as I'd like one without the M engraving or the red dot on the front personally.

iiiNelson

I think people are talking past each other here. What Guy is wondering is whether there is any indication of focus in the Optical Viewfinder. It's nice that the Electronic Viewfinder and LCD allow you to check focus, but the question is whether you can check focus without the EVF or the LCD.

I think not.
I would assume not but who knows? I don't know how qualified many are to answer. All we have are second hand reports to go by. I haven't read of that being a feature but I've only read through about 3 reports so far.