The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

monochrome availability

Godfrey

Why does a camera have to "make a buzz" to be a successful seller? The M-E is a solid, known quantity.. a slightly simplified M9.. that I'm sure will sell well to the 95%-plus rangefinder enthusiasts who don't waste their time debating minutiae on the internet and just want a good new Leica M at a decent price to make their photographs with. Many people simply don't care about the bleeding edge features of the new M and want to buy new with a warranty.

ghoonk

Ohhhh, do I win a Monochrom? OK, how about a monochrom brochure...LOL!

Actually interesting comparison that does an excellent job of delineating some of the image differences and characteristics between the two cameras.

Dave (D&A)
A Monochrom brochure? There's one? I need to go back and bug my dealer for one. Apparently, they've got me down for the new M as well when it hits in Jan next year, but until I see actual reviews, I'm going to hold off. :D

ghoonk

Why does a camera have to "make a buzz" to be a successful seller? The M-E is a solid, known quantity.. a slightly simplified M9.. that I'm sure will sell well to the 95%-plus rangefinder enthusiasts who don't waste their time debating minutiae on the internet and just want a good new Leica M at a decent price to make their photographs with. Many people simply don't care about the bleeding edge features of the new M and want to buy new with a warranty.
Funny you should mention that - I was just having a debate with a fellow shooter earlier on this point, and he said that truth be told, a good photographer would do just as well with an X Pro 1

There's something challenging and personal about shooting with the M, and while there are good alternatives out there, it boils down to choice

D&A

A Monochrom brochure? There's one? I need to go back and bug my dealer for one. Apparently, they've got me down for the new M as well when it hits in Jan next year, but until I see actual reviews, I'm going to hold off. :D
Yep, there's a Monochrome brochure. As nice is it is, I'd much have the actual camera as my prize for identifying your images correctly. OK, where do I pick it up :)

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

Funny you should mention that - I was just having a debate with a fellow shooter earlier on this point, and he said that truth be told, a good photographer would do just as well with an X Pro 1
But the whole point about the M is tha rangefinder focusing. And the X pro 1 doesn't have that. Added to which it has a cropped sensor and doesn't do we'll with the best M lenses.
It's like saying that. Truth be told. A good photographer would do as we'll with a Canon 5D.

ghoonk

Yep, there's a Monochrome brochure. As nice is it is, I'd much have the actual camera as my prize for identifying your images correctly. OK, where do I pick it up :)

Dave (D&A)
it does have bugs, you know ;)

I'm wondering how this is going to play with IR imaging

ghoonk

But the whole point about the M is tha rangefinder focusing. And the X pro 1 doesn't have that. Added to which it has a cropped sensor and doesn't do we'll with the best M lenses.
It's like saying that. Truth be told. A good photographer would do as we'll with a Canon 5D.
Yeah, it's just a different way of shooting, nothing right or wrong about it. By the way, have you noticed that the MM info display shows the correct lens info (e.g. 50/2) in the Info screen and the lens info is correctly showing in the EXIF but it's not showing up in LR4.1?

Paratom

There's something challenging and personal about shooting with the M, and while there are good alternatives out there, it boils down to choice
With all respect for the x-pro1 and knowing a good photographer can take good images with allmost everything - I do find that there is a clear differece between x-pro1 images and M9 and MM images.
How much comes from the lenses and how much from the sensor I dont know (I guess from both).
I have shot both systems for some time now and while I like the xpro1 for the AF and high ISO capability, and while it can produce great files I find it does not reach the "depth" of images from the M9. If that little tiny difference is worth the price difference....hard to answer.

ghoonk

That was my point too, but frankly, I couldn't care less what other people shoot. I shoot for me, so my choice of camera is mine alone :)

V

Vivek

There is one current listing on ebay.de for 6,800 Euros plus shipping (within Germany).

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
oooh, found an interesting glitch

The lens info isn't being captured in the M Monochrom EXIF. No automatic lens profile applied in LR4.1. Firmware 0.017
I'm assuming that this is because LR hasn't gotten around to doing a release that recognizes the EXIF data.

algrove

Bet it's gone within 3-4 days unless a cheaper one shows up. I know of one that will be for sale in the US, slightly used with like 2500 actuations, never registered, never downloaded software. Probably will go for a decent price, not absurd.

ashwinrao1

Just got mine after a long wait. I wouldn't be suprised if they start to trickle in in time for the holidays..after all, the M follows quickly in Jan/Feb, so they need something to sell for the shopping season....other than M-E's....

ghoonk

Hey, you're right - this wasn't happening with 4.1, but it's populating the field correctly in 4.2!

The Lens field usually coms just below Model, but it's still not showing in the metadata. No matter, this is better than nothing! Thanks, Woody!