The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your 3 favorite M-lenses...

baudolino

I haven't used all the M lenses but these would be my keepers (and favored travel companions):

Elmarit 24 mm Asph
Summilux 50 mm Asph
Summicron 90 mm Apo Asph

Regards,

Martin

algrove

#1 35/1.4 FLE
#2 90/2.0 APO
#3 this month 28/2.0 no external VF-yeh.
#4 this month 50/1.4

Other months for #3 50-Noctilux or 21/1.4 or 18.3.4 or 75/1.4.

Yes, I should sell some lenses, but many on forums keep saying that they regret having sold this or that lens, so I keep them all, except duplicates.

Having recently acquired an MM, I find I like using different lenses very often when compared to what I mention above as #1-4 for my M9P. I can use slower lenses with great fun now!

I suspect that once more Monochromes hit the streets there will be more appreciation for f2.0, 2.8 and 3.4 to 4.0 glass since increasing the ISO a bit makes those all time favorites VERY useable and reduces the need for 1.4 and 0.95 glass except for their bokeh desirability. The same might go for the new M, but too early to know for sure on that model.

Last edited:

algrove

Actually, with the new Live View feature, I suspect prices of lenses may not rise as much, seeing that M Type 240 owners will be able to use OEM lenses like the M-Hexanon, LTM lenses, etc without worrying about calibration and collimation. It's kinda hard to say, but I was hoping prices of M lenses would go up.

If anything, if the M-E is readily available at USD4k-ish, it would probably jack up demand for M lenses
I understand your reasoning, but I do not concur since I believe the R lenses will have an upside to their prices once the M is out there.

The US M lens prices tend to go up January 1 so in 2013 we will see the 35FLE go up since it came out just before new pricing went into effect last year and as such has not had a price increase for well over a year. As for other M lenses, we will see, but if the past US lens pricing is any indicator, Leica glass WILL go up in price come January 2013..

As for other manufacturers, if they see a spike in demand-they will increase prices too.

Good point about the ME, but the price is Euros4400 not USD4k-ish.

algrove

I've had those lenses for a few years now and have no trouble with focus. Also have the 75 summilux. I guess that those might be my 3 M lenses. But, I agree that the new M might make them more desirable as focus becomes more of a non issue. Perhaps Leica will come out with a 180mm f2 or f2.8 lens in the near future.

I don't have the close-up gizmos for the 90/4, but wouldn't mind picking them up on the cheap some day. Doubt that will ever happen.:(

Cheers,

Joel
Joel-I tried the 135 APO on the M at Photokina to see if it was capable of easier focusing for me (although I must say I have had no problem with focusing that lens on my M9 once I got my Walter eye piece). The M was lovely with red outlining what was in focus. I certainly hope they come out with an M 180/2.0 lens or even longer. Then I can abandon my long Nikon glass I have been accumulating in anticipation of getting an 800 for wildlife shooting.

Maybe even my long (250,350,500) Hassleblad V glass might work on that M with the right adapter. It would use the center sweet spot and that would be even better.

L

LB Jefferies

That I have owned and used . . . 28/50/75 Summicrons. :)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have 21, 28, 35, 50, 75 and 135 lenses and use them all. However, based on frequency of use (using LR to count) the 35 ASPH Lux is most used, followed by a tie between the 50 ASPH Lux and the 75 ASPH Cron.

So if I were forced, those three would be the keepers. Truthfully though, M lenses are so compact and portable that I carry them all most of the time.

I'm really looking forward to the M when it comes to the Apo Telyt. It's a phenomenal lens but hard to focus with the rangefinder.

Bill

jmosier01

For me it's the 50 lux asph, 35 cron asph and 90 cron pre-asph. I'd put the VC 35 1/2 II up in 4th, but sold it once I got the lux and went with the much smaller 35cron. The IQ out of the VC is fantastic though.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
What no 21 Lux? I was looking at one...I have a 18 3.8...and a 24 3.8 I was going to trade for a 21 L.
Should I consider a 21 2.8 instead?

My two are
50 Lux
35Lux
third..above dilemma

simonclivehughes

I'm shooting with NEX 7 bodies, so with the 1.5x crop in mind, I like the following Voigtländer lenses:

12mm f5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar
28mm f2 Ultron
75mm f2.5 Color Heliar

or

21mm f4 Color-Skopar
50mm f1.5 Nokton
90mm f3.5 APO Lanthar

With the N7s' resolution, they just never cease to amaze me. (Which is a VERY good thing as I can no longer afford Leica lenses.) :D

Cheers,

jonoslack

I've changed my mind . . .. I only have one favourite:

Leica 50 summicron f2 asph . . .

I fear that I'm dangerously and fatally in love - I just wish I had a granny I could sell to buy one of these beautiful lenses . . . Oh Dear!

Knorp

I've changed my mind . . .. I only have one favourite:

Leica 50 summicron f2 asph . . .

I fear that I'm dangerously and fatally in love - I just wish I had a granny I could sell to buy one of these beautiful lenses . . . Oh Dear!
Hi-de-hi Jono,

since you have been fallen in love with this new 50'cron Asph, can you please tell us what's so special to it in comparison with your 50'lux or 50'noct ?

Thanks !

All the best.

jonoslack

Hi-de-hi Jono,

since you have been fallen in love with this new 50'cron Asph, can you please tell us what's so special to it in comparison with your 50'lux or 50'noct ?

Thanks !

All the best.
Hi there Bart
No. I just know! I played with one way back (when I just assumed it was a replacement for the current cron). I loved it then, and now I've been lucky enough to play again. I still love it. More really. It might be best on the MM, but its fab on the M9 as well. It's not so much that its sharp (it is, but somehow gently). I think it's something to do with the edge between sharpness and not. The bokeh is lovely as well.
May be its the emperor's new clothes? Could be I'm just a sucker because it's expensive? I just know . . . . That I have to have it!!
I'll sell my Zeiss 135 f1.8 (Sony A) and my 50 'lux to finance it I guess). . . . I don't have any grannies left :(

Hosermage

sell the 50'Lux? Say it ain't so, Jono! (start covering ears and mumbling) <-- we need a smilie for that.

Paratom

Jono - If you buy it please dont tell me and please dont show images made with it ;) Thanks in advance, Tom

Knorp

Hi there Bart
No. I just know! I played with one way back (when I just assumed it was a replacement for the current cron). I loved it then, and now I've been lucky enough to play again. I still love it. More really. It might be best on the MM, but its fab on the M9 as well. It's not so much that its sharp (it is, but somehow gently). I think it's something to do with the edge between sharpness and not. The bokeh is lovely as well.
May be its the emperor's new clothes? Could be I'm just a sucker because it's expensive? I just know . . . . That I have to have it!!
I'll sell my Zeiss 135 f1.8 (Sony A) and my 50 'lux to finance it I guess). . . . I don't have any grannies left :(
Oh dear, oh dear - another G.A.S. attack, hey ? :ROTFL:
Frankly, I've considered selling my 50'noct (f1) when the new 50'cron asph was announced, but abandoned that idea since.
One lux pre-asph, one lux asph and two nocties should do nicely, I reckon.
Saving my pennies for the new M :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

jonoslack

Oh dear, oh dear - another G.A.S. attack, hey ? :ROTFL:
Frankly, I've considered selling my 50'noct (f1) when the new 50'cron asph was announced, but abandoned that idea since.
One lux pre-asph, one lux asph and two nocties should do nicely, I reckon.
Saving my pennies for the new M :rolleyes:

Kind regards.
Hmm yes - I can see your point (and I'm saving for the new M as well - especially now I played with it in Solms). Still, i've only got 2 50s, and I'm thinking that a Nocti 0.95 and a 50 'cron is a rather spiffing combination . . . and that under those circumstances the 50 'lux might be overkill?

The alternative is to sell the 24 'lux, which I love . . . but don't use all that much. :poke:

Tom - if I get one I promise I won't post any pictures in this thread (is that okay?):thumbs::angel: