The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your 3 favorite M-lenses...

algrove

Now, let's see, if you take a new M with a 28-70 R lens or an 80-200, you cannot easily count the # of lens choices. "Wow", as they say on the HGTV.

Godfrey

Now, let's see, if you take a new M with a 28-70 R lens or an 80-200, you cannot easily count the # of lens choices. "Wow", as they say on the HGTV.
Um, no ... you either like the 28-70, the 80-200, both or none. The fact that you can use a bunch of different focal lengths isn't relevant.

rayyan

Hi There Ray
I hope you're well . . . . . if you have a 50 'cron Asph Apo to spare, then I'm sure there are many many here who want to get hold of it. I've no idea what the going rate would be right now (about enough to buy a Monochrom at a guess).

But I guess you thought I meant the current (and lovely) non Asph 'cron?

If you have one of those, then I would keep it.

all the very best
Hello ther Jono. Hoping you and yours are doing well.

Would you really expect me to sell you yesterday's stuff!

The M. Let 's wait.:)

Best regards.

Godfrey

Presuming that I can interpret the question to include M-mount lenses that are not branded as Leica ... Of the M-mount lenses I own and am using now:

- Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH
- M-Rokkor 90mm f/4
- Voigtländer Nokton 40mm f/1.4 MC or M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 (gen II)*

* I put both of these 40mm here ... the M-Rokkor I tend to use on the CL, the Nokton on the M9 and GXR-M; they image so similarly it's hard to tell them apart.

douglasf13

I'm a 28, 50, 90 kinda guy, so I'm currently using a 28 Elmarit ASPH and 90 tele-elmarit, and I'm trying to decide between the current 50 Summicron V (non-ASPH,) 50 Summicron I collapsable, and the ZM 50/2. I'm mostly a 50 guy, so I may just keep all three.

I must say, I'm really digging this old Summicron collapsible.

DDudenbostel

35mm Summilux FLE, 50mm asph Summilux and 75mm Summilux. The 24 Elmar and 90 Apo Asph are fantastic but don't use them as much as the others.

Ginko

My 3 favorite lenses would be :

1-Summarex : My precious one, love it ! I even sold my Summicron 75 apo because I always ended picking up the Rex. :D
2-Summilux 35 Aspherical : there is some kind of magic in it but always fighting if I should keep it or not.
3-Summaron 35 2.8/Zeiss 35/2 : I love the Summaron rendering and the Zeiss has a delicious bokeh.

Joining the theme of never sell Leica glass, I sold an F1 Nocti when the appreciation on it (bought it for under 2K) seduced me. I just got another (from Rob here on GPI) and feel complete again! so my list
1. f1 Nocti
2. 35 lux asph (most used)
3. 75 lux

NB23

No idea.

I really doubt people can judge these lenses so easily as said in this thread. I know I couldn't. Especially not on a computer screen.

Judging lenses isn't quite a "100% crop view in Photoshop and Bing Bang Boum voila!" as the reviewers and bloggers seem to be doing.

Anyhow, after many years in the darkroom, all I know is that once the moment comes that I can look at a print and recognize the lens, that is the moment I have finally understood the lens. This can take years.
Just the other day I printed many negs I shot 15 years ago with Minoltas and Minolta Rokkor glass. Let me tell you one thing, the old 50mm f1.7 has such a unique look that any internet expert would swear it was shot with Leica glass, whatever that means. "Glow, character, uniqueness, footprint, fingerprint, magicality..." and whatnot.

My personal Leica favorites? No idea. I'm quite frustrated by this. They're all good I guess. As good as any old Minolta Rokkor glass.

CharlesK

My favs are:
50 Nocti f1.0 or the 50 Lux Asph depending on how light I wish to travel.
24 Lux
75 Lux

Tom, I am totally with not selling M lenses, unless you absolutely need too.

Paratom

My favs are:
50 Nocti f1.0 or the 50 Lux Asph depending on how light I wish to travel.
24 Lux
75 Lux

Tom, I am totally with not selling M lenses, unless you absolutely need too.
Well, I admit after having started this thread I havent sold any lens...
Just recently have used the 28/2.0 more and absolutly love it on the MM.
Its still small for a wide angle, you dont need external viewfinder. And the rendering is quite the right mixture between modern and classic look IMO.
I think if I had to go to only 2 lenses it would be 28/2.0 asph and 75/2.0 asph

abstract

I normally try to carry just two lenses (one on the camera and one in a bag), but right now, these are my favorite carry-around set of three lenses (but not in any specific order of preference):

1. 28mm Summicron
2. 50mm Summilux, v3 pre-ASPH
3. 75mm Summarit

ceh

Street:
1. 35/1.4 Lux FLE
2. 50/1.4 Lux
3. 90/2.8 Elmarit (few images)

Landscape:
1. 28/2 Cron
2. 90/2.8 Elmarit
3. I do not use