The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 50mm M lens from Japan Exposure

ashwinrao1

I had one of their lenses, the perar, which was great in the center, but a bit funky in the corners, regarding sharpness. Their designs are tiny, but there is a bit of compromise between OOF rendering and size for 50 mm lenses, so I'd wait for "bokeh" samples, personally. I'm sure it will be a good performer when guaged within its limits. Size is a premium for MS optics.

Double Negative

Not Available
From what I've seen, this newest (50) is rather soft wide open. So I don't know that I'd expect any direct comparisons to the Noctilii (plural of Noctilux?) or Nokton.

The MS lenses are quite interesting - and yes, very small. Though they have their quirks (e.g. screw-on lens caps, click-less apertures, etc.).

Shashin

So I don't know that I'd expect any direct comparisons to the Noctilii (plural of Noctilux?) or Nokton.
That would depend if you at looking at a monitor or a credit card statement.

I actually think it is great that we have these crazy lens designers. Not that anyone here would consider the lens signature beyond the simply resolving power important...

Taylor Sherman

The Nokton 50/1.1 isn't exactly "crisp" wide-open. . .

I too think it's pretty awesome that there's "a guy" in Japan (or anywhere) making custom lenses. I hope that it's something that becomes more possible as personal-scale manufacturing is making advances.

StephenPatterson

I too think it's pretty awesome that there's "a guy" in Japan (or anywhere) making custom lenses. I hope that it's something that becomes more possible as personal-scale manufacturing is making advances.
My hat is also off to Mr. Miyazaki for his design skill and perseverance. It's wonderful to know that a small family shop is able to produce a lens like this, and while it may be a little long in the "character" department I'm sure it will produce captivating images in the right hands.

Last edited:

Double Negative

Not Available
Of course. Don't get me wrong. I love that Miyazaki-san is making these cool lenses for us. The 28 and 35 Perars are really rather good. There's certainly nothing wrong with character lenses either.

As for the Nokton - believe me, I know. Wide open it's... Weak in a few areas. ;)

Chris C

As a matter of interest, what would be the effective 'T'-stop of this f1.1 lens after losing it's stated 3% transmission loss?

............. Chris

rich_

I'm going to pop into a Shop in HK on Monday or Tuesday which has one of these. The owner says I can have a test with it so I'll try and get some shots uploaded!

Taylor Sherman

Chris - 3% transmission loss is 4.4% of a stop, so f/1.1 just becomes T/1.14, not much difference.

stops lost = -log2(transmission) = -log2(0.97) = -log(0.97)/log(2) = 0.0439

T rating = F + stops lost = 1.1 + 0.0439 = 1.1439

rich_

I didn't manage to shoot with this as the boss of the shop had taken the lens off to try it out. However I reviewed some more pictures of its output.

A great deal softer than a Nokton 1.1 and everything has a somewhat blueish tinge to it. I don't think I will be following up with this one!

Chris C

Chris - 3% transmission loss is 4.4% of a stop, so f/1.1 just becomes T/1.14, not much difference.

stops lost = -log2(transmission) = -log2(0.97) = -log(0.97)/log(2) = 0.0439

T rating = F + stops lost = 1.1 + 0.0439 = 1.1439
Taylor - Thank you, and my apologies for not getting back to this thread earlier.

............... Chris